PDA

View Full Version : Cumbrian Rail Crash

kyuzo
03-05-2007, 04:58 AM
Here's a couple of graphics I did at the end of last week for the newspaper I work for. The pages were a broadsheet spread, which means about 30 inches by 23 inches in total. The editor decided he wanted a graphic to prettty much fill the pages on Tuesday afternoon, and the pages had to be complete by Thursday Lunchtime.
All models were built for the job except the trees which were exported from Vue. The landscape is a mixture of satellite image and a road map I created in Photoshop mapped onto a DEM displaced object (created using the brilliant Texturescape plugin and a hand painted DEM from a contour map of the area)

Because of the size of the main image I couldn't afford long render times or fancy shading, so a single distant light with a pale blue shadow and a bit of ambient lighting was used.

The graphic of the points was much smaller so I could use a bit of reflection, area lights and radiosity.

Total time for both images: 15 hours from start to finish.

Exception
03-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I cant view the second image, but the spread looks quite convincing. Especially for such a time frame. Good job!

adrian
03-06-2007, 01:23 AM
Yes, good work (although I also can't see the 2nd image) - it's just a tragedy that you needed to create this image in the first place. Thankfully train crashes are very rare.

kyuzo
03-06-2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.
It's a blessing and a curse that the work I get usually has a very short deadline. Great for focusing the mind, but I usually look at the images afterwards and think I could have done it much better if I had another X hours...
The second image was in CMYK, I wonder if that was why no-one could view it... I've tried to upload it again.
You're right Adrian, thankfully train crashes are very rare, but this one just shouldn't have happened.

pauland
03-07-2007, 03:38 AM
Excellent job - I'm impressed.

nthused
03-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Effective use to communicate the story...well done.