PDA

View Full Version : integrated Graphics card on the MacBook

DaledeSilva
03-05-2007, 04:31 AM
Hello,
hopefully this question doesn't get shot down with laughter too quickly.

I use a PC as my main computer.. but I'm sick of not being able to move around AT ALL while doing work... so for this reason I'm thinking about getting a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

I really don't want to get a Pro simply because I would like to keep the laptop as small as possible and also because of the price difference.

I don't only do 3D work, I work mainly in flash actually, and that's primarily what I would be buying the laptop for (as well as photoshop and the like, and some video).

However, my question is, would Lightwave 9.0 even open on a MacBook:
the current MacBook Contains the following video card:

Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
full specs are here: http://www.apple.com/au/macbook/specs.html

... as much as I'm not buying the book for 3d.. I am definitely tossing up whether should buy a laptop that I wont be able to use for my 3D at all.

In buying a macbook, ram wouldn't be an issue.. I would upgrade to 2gb upon purchase.

for interests sake, MacBook Pro has:

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics processor, dual-link DVI support, 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
full specs are here: http://www.apple.com/au/macbookpro/specs.html
(the MAIN advantages would be the gpu and screensize)
You can get a 256mb version with the pro too... but I don't think I can warrant either of these.

any advice would be great.. and a word from anyone who's tried it on a macbook would be great too.

Dale.

BazC
03-05-2007, 06:16 AM
While I'm pretty sure Lightwave would run on the Macbook the built in graphics processor would be next to useless for 3d, I'd definately go for the Macbook Pro.

Chilton
03-05-2007, 06:39 AM
Hi,

I can't release the UB benchmarks (because obviously the UB isn't out yet), but I can tell you that I've extensively tested LightWave on every Mac that Apple sells. The MacBook is a superb rendering system, with the one drawback that the integrated graphics card makes it hard to fiddle with high polygon objects without resorting to using bounding boxes.

That said, there were bugs in older versions of LW that made it almost necessary to use bounding boxes on the Mac (this is no longer the case). So you might already be used to that ;-)

Personally, I'd save my pennies and get a MacBook Pro.

-Chilton

pilot1983
03-05-2007, 10:24 AM
I bought a macbook just for the convience, and use lw on a weekly basis with it when I am not at the office. It works just fine as long as the object isn't super high poly. I do wish I had the pro though, but you can't beat the price of the macbook as a secondary computer.