PDA

View Full Version : Al Buraq waits

khalid
03-04-2007, 04:07 PM
http://muharraqi-studios.com/gallery/muharraqi_image53.jpg

Hi all, nice to be back..well heres the BACK STORY..
Al Buraq is the winged steed that carried the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) from Mecca to Jerusalem on the Night of Isra'a and Mi'raj. This is a holy night for muslims when the Prophet ascended to the 7 heavens and met with all the prophets before him. The first part of the journedy (Isra'a) was from Mecca to the Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem on the back of Al Buraq. The Prophet is said to have alighted here, tethered Al Buraq at Al Haram Al Sharif and rose with the Archangel Gabriel on the second part of the journey (Mi'raj) to the heavens.

There are many representations of Al Buraq and I wanted to make my own to reflect some of the amazing things that are said about him. He was not very big but had massive and colorful wings and a tail like a peacock. It is said that he could traverse long distances because he could place his foot on the horizon and in one step reach that point. The shooting star resembles the flight of the profit with the help of Gabriel the angel... Al Buraq the flying Horse like creature waits as it is his duty to be there for the profit when he coms back to earth so he can return him to his home.

I just loved the story and some of the descriptions in it so I had to create an piece that would capture some of the beautiful imagery I imagined. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did...

Big Thanks to my partner and good Friend Rashad for help on the Story and back ground info, also thanks to my good friend Abdozy for his efforts

swankymonkey
03-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi Khalid!

How much of this is painted? The composition looks beautiful. The white-hot hooves are a sweet touch.

-Dave

Lightwolf
03-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Gorgeous. Very lush.

Allright then, how long did it take you, what did you use and where is the "Wires" smiley? ;)

Cheers,
Mike - off to pick up his jaw...

khalid
03-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks Guys... Mike :)!!!
I will post wires soon for sure...
But for now

THe image is Bige and has many details...
here is are a few closups... I will be posting more stuff..
Happy you like the Story

http://muharraqi-studios.com/gallery/muharraqi_general75.jpg

Exception
03-04-2007, 05:34 PM
That's just drop dead gorgeous. My most humble compliments.
The scene just breathes originality, talent and I think you captured your intention of this mythical creature very well.

If I have to say anything, I'd say that I would have let the shooting star shoot the other way. The creature's direction and all the perspective in the image is pointing to the right, and the shooting star therefore kind of seems to go 'back', eventhough the story clearly reveals they're going 'beyond'... which I would say is to the right.
Just a very small thought, hardly criticism.

Congratulations!

Lightwolf
03-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Hah, I just noticed, the wings are at the back...

Allright, looking at the close up, one thing that strikes me as a bit odd is the shading of the cheek, it seems a bit too pronounced. That might just be artistic freedom though.

Yeah, I love the hooves as well... nice touch.

Cheers,
Mike

khalid
03-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks GuyS ;)
yes it is said that the Godly creature has wings but coming out of it's hind legs... some say that it has a head of a lady

Thanks again ;)
Wires coming up!!

khalid
03-04-2007, 06:17 PM
More for you .... thanks ;)

yes-!! you are right, Pegasus... The horse with the wings on the Back of it. .....

But the Islamic Buraq is a different creature, it is said that the Godly creature has wings but coming out of it's hind legs ... some even say that it has a head of a lady... it looks at the skyline where the sky touches, and touches it with it's hoofs to be there... so distance is a different concept.

Thanks again
Wires coming up-!!

kopperdrake
03-05-2007, 03:08 AM
Beautiful Khalid.

So tell me, when are you publishing a very large and glossy book of your work?

khalid
03-05-2007, 03:28 AM
Beautiful Khalid.

So tell me, when are you publishing a very large and glossy book of your work?

Oh!! aganin that quatstion ;) thanks man!!!

Really happy you all liked it...
Always happy to be here

these are a few Wires... I will post more stuff soon

http://muharraqi-studios.com/gallery/muharraqi_general76.jpg

DogBoy
03-05-2007, 04:24 AM
This is a beautiful piece. I agree wi' LightWolf though about the eye-sockets/cheeks, they are a tad heavy. They do give it an other-worldlieness but also make it seem vaguely sinister.

To be honest though, I don't think that detracts any from the piece. It is utterly beautiful.

khalid
03-05-2007, 05:23 AM
heheh!!!
thank Brother for the nice comments.. :)
nice one!!!!

colkai
03-05-2007, 05:53 AM
Gorgeous, just plain gorgeous. :D

Kuzey
03-05-2007, 05:56 AM
Now that is way out of this world....totally beautiful :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kuzey

kopperdrake
03-05-2007, 08:23 AM
I know it's in the finished gallery and that implies you don't want feedback - and you know I love it anyway (:D) but there's one little thing I'd change (don't slap me). The breath coming from Al Buraq's nostrils is really sharp whereas a horse's breath tends to dissipate in a cloud after a few inches on a cold day...it just looks a little too much like rockets firing in the wrong direction to me :)

This is what you get for creating an image that people stare at longer than the normal image :D We get more picky than we would with our own work ;)

IgnusFast
03-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Wow, I thought you cheated and the whole thing was a painting. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

I just don't see the horse getting off the ground with the wings so far behind center mass, but it's not my story, so I'll just shut up now. :) Not like there are a lot of flying horses in the modern world with which to compare...

dee
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
wow! very very beautiful! :thumbsup:

bobakabob
03-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Stunning - I love the molten hooves and multicoloured wings!

khalid
03-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys!!! ...happy to know that this story interests you...thanks for your nice words and support...!!! this will only make me work harder to create work for all of you.... Thank you

Here are some new wires, the models were done on modo, I also used 3dtotals collection for the textures...in soome areas

http://muharraqi-studios.com/gallery/muharraqi_general77.jpg

simple but effective...way to do feather

on Modo you have a section called Duplicate, Clone tool did it for me here.... you can ask it of offcet it in distance...amazing to have

Cool Ha!!

http://muharraqi-studios.com/gallery/muharraqi_general78.jpg

LW_jackn
03-11-2007, 11:14 PM
But the Islamic Buraq is a different creature, it is said that the Godly creature has wings but coming out of it's hind legs ... some even say that it has a head of a lady... it looks at the skyline where the sky touches, and touches it with it's hoofs to be there... so distance is a different concept.

Sounds like the ancient's answer to FTL travel.

:)

starbase1
03-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Beautiful light and colour - I particularly like the glowing feet, (an idea which really should not work at all, but looks awesome in practice!).

I'd gp along with the idea of reversing the meteor, maybe also a little earthlight on the dark part of the moon.

I really don't see how it could fly with the wings that far back though - I just see it dangling head down from them whenever I try to imagine it. Though I understand you are matching a description.

Still very extraordinary though.
5*

khalid
03-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Beautiful light and colour - I particularly like the glowing feet, (an idea which really should not work at all, but looks awesome in practice!).

I'd gp along with the idea of reversing the meteor, maybe also a little earthlight on the dark part of the moon.

I really don't see how it could fly with the wings that far back though - I just see it dangling head down from them whenever I try to imagine it. Though I understand you are matching a description.

Still very extraordinary though.
5*

yes-!!

you are right, but only if it was Pegasus... The horse with the wings on the Back of it......Thats what you are used to seeing...It's not a real creature to have as a guide line or what really works anyways....

First of all... It is part of the history of islamic beliefs, the Islamic Buraq is a totally different creature, it's said that the Godly creature has wings but coming out of it's hind legs ... some even say that it has a head of a lady... it looks at the skyline where the sky touches, and touches it with it's hoofs to be there... so distance is a different concept, It's an animal that was created for that one night as to my understanding. so It's not my Idea were things go.... and it is not a myth!... but a religious story like any other story......I never so it... and don't know how it looks like other then the few descriptions said...But hope that it helps you imagine and understand one of our many stories in Islam.

Also Big thanks to you for bringing up this important question :) :)... it helps to explain these things more , It seems that I have forgotten that this is not the story of Profit Noah and the Ark, everyone knows that story...so no need to explain too much about it.

Before The profit went thru this incredible & honoring Journey, he had to be prepared by Gabriel to be able to endure the shocking experience that he was about to encounter, for he will be going were no Human has set foot on yet.........meeting our creator.

Al-Buraq was the creature that was created to help The profit to travel on earth, but when he reach his final destination (AL-Quds), He was lifted to the heavens with The Angel Gabriel help, he was lifted into 7 levels of heavens, from the first to the highest, ...also he so Hell... then Met all the profits before him ..... all the Angels.... and finally the Honor of meeting our creator God.

The journey was in a different realm of time, it's said that his time was stretched in comparison to earth time, when he finally descended back to earth, it was only a few hours that he was missing, Al-Buraq would still wait for him to complete it's purpose, thats where we're at with this image here.

Thanks everyone for your nice words... and Still happy to here all your fun comments.

LW_jackn
03-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Also Big thanks to you for bringing up this important question :) :) ...

Al-Buraq was the creature that was created to help The profit to travel on earth, but when he reach his final destination (AL-Quds), He was lifted to the heavens with The Angel Gabriel help, he was lifted into 7 levels of heavens, from the first to the highest, ...also he so Hell... then Met all the profits before him ..... all the Angels.... and finally the Honor of meeting our creator God.

The journey was in a different realm of time, it's said that his time was stretched in comparison to earth time, when he finally descended back to earth, it was only a few hours that he was missing, Al-Buraq would still wait for him to complete it's purpose, thats where we're at with this image here.

Isn't that the opposite of Relativity concepts though. Short travel time in FTL, but many years have passed on Earth?

:)

Interesting...

ozmask
03-13-2007, 06:26 AM
WOW,
Amazing image Khalid. Thanks for the back story, I find it very useful to know an artist's inspiration for their work.

I think you have done a great job in capturing "the moment". Those white-hot hooves really are an inspired touch.

E-ronin
03-14-2007, 03:43 AM
Wow amazing, truly a noble steed. You should submit this to some Muslim publications I am sure others would love to see it.

Ed