PDA

View Full Version : Open GL, SLI and Modeler

mj418
03-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Hello. :)

Forgive me my ignorance on this, but I'm about due for a vid card upgrade and I was wondering....
I have an Nvidia 7600 GT OC card right now in the machine I use for LW. Next weekend I was planning on upgrading to the 7950 GT OC card, or maybe even the 8800, but was wondering if it might be a better idea to buy another 7600 and do the SLI thing.
I honestly don't know if it would make a difference with LW or not, with GLSL and such, or with the improvements in LW 9.2.
If anyone using LW on an SLI-equipped PC could give me some feedback, I'd appreciate it.
Of course, not just for LW, but games as well, so I'm also curious how SLI will affect, say, Oblivion.
I'd also appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions how I might get it into the house and into my PC without my wife seeing. :D

Captain Obvious
03-04-2007, 07:43 AM
SLI doesn't seem to work with 3D applications. Also, Lightwave doesn't seem to take proper advantage of the video card. I'm running LW9 on a machine equipped with a Geforce 8800GTX, and OpenGL is still kinda slow.

mj418
03-04-2007, 07:53 AM
That's what I was afraid of, because, yeah, I've noticed Modeler at least is way behind some of my other apps in the OGL department.
Oh well, there's 9.2 to look forward to, I suppose, assuming all the hype about the OGL is true.
I'm still dying to try out the SLI thing though, just to see what it's like, whether or not it benefits LW or not.
Still though, I have to wonder why they recommend a $2500 Nvidia Quadro for use with LW 9, when I don't see an appreciable difference between my 6600 and my 7600. :D

steamthunk
03-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Not really noticing any real difference with SLI enabled, but I admit I don't make a lot of really high poly models or have worked with high poly scenes. Also, SLI doesn't support dual monitors so you have to disable it to use multiple monitors. the problem is that when you want to re-enable SLI you are forced to reboot.

In games that support SLI though I have found that you do get better performance. I notice it when playing Guild Wars at 1600x1200 and Civ4.

mj418
03-05-2007, 02:24 PM
I appreciate the info. What really got me is the part about SLI not supporting dual monitors. Ouch, that hurts! I hadn't even thought about that - glad I asked before finding out the hard way. :)
Looks like I'll just go with the 8800 then, maybe try out the SLI thing on a different machine in the future.
Thanks again!