PDA

View Full Version : Monster Job Hunter

JGary
03-02-2007, 03:02 PM
I've been doing some work for a short film being made by Horseback Salad, so here's some images from it. They submitted a 5 minute version to the Fox tv show 'On the Lot', but I'm still working on more shots for the full length (8-10 minute) version. I'm using LW and Zbrush to model, Maya for animation (using Maya2Lw), rendering in LW using Fprime/G2 and After Effects for compositing. The dynamics on the membrane is done with LW but the drool is using Maya's soft bodies.

I also have a thread on Zbrush Central that has a lot of in progress images http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=38955

Here's the link to the 5 minute version http://films.thelot.com/films/24440
Check it out, and if you like it give it a good rating.
Thanks!

scabooba
03-02-2007, 07:48 PM
awesome stuff. Very awesome.

Carm3D
03-03-2007, 12:49 PM
That was so great!!! :)

I need to get ZBrush! Oh yeah.. I just bought it.

JGary
03-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the comments!

Carm3D - Yes, you will love Zbrush (if you can get past the interface). I'm by no means a Zbrush master, but it makes organic modeling so much easier. For instance, the pile of guts I had to make for that one shot was a unexpected thing that I had originally not planned on, but the background really needed some gore. Making something like that would have taking lots of time for me in LW.
Nondescript pile of guts - Easy stuff in Zbrush.

thekho
03-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Wow, it looks fantastic!! :) I can't hear that what they said abt it cos i'm deaf but i understand it well, thanks to great acting!! So, i wonder how long do this film make?

sherridge101
03-04-2007, 05:39 AM
Brilliant work JGary.
Love the monster and would love to know more about this project e.g.texturing and lighting.
Cheers for posting.
Steve

JGary
03-05-2007, 11:14 AM
tgekho - Glad that you could follow along without being able to hear it. Yehudi (writer/director) did mention he wanted it to be more like a silent film with physical acting. I guess it works!
As far as how long this has taken - I've done about 95% of the work on the monster myself (creation to compositing) and I've been working on this for three months. I spent the first month on creating the monster and rigging. The biggest time drain has been setting up and running the dynamic simulations for things like the membranes tearing. The rest of the shots should be completed by the end of this month.

sherridge101- Here's some images along with some captions that show the lighting for the scene. These images are specifically for the shot where the monster rips the membranes off his face and arm. The main lights generally stay the same for all shots, but I change the extra lights around dependent on what I need for the shot. I'll try and get something together for the texturing stuff later.

Images of the set

First attempt at lighting using shots from my point and shoot camera as reference. The auto color setting was on, so my reference shots were cool compared to how it actually looked on set. Unfortunately, the original monster textures worked better with this light color. I built a simple version of the room to catch shadows, as a reflection source, and to occlude the outside lights. Nothing fancy since it will never actually be seen.

Lighting tweak after I received some images of the set with the proper color. See, that monster doesn't look as good now.

Image showing 3D versus on set image (lighting/shadows).

Just another test image with the 3D room turned on.

JGary
03-05-2007, 11:17 AM
And, here's some shots showing the lighting setup in Lightwave for the membrane tearing shot. Color coded lights according to diffuse, specular, or subsurface scattering (no diffuse or specular turned on for those).

Mrjack
03-07-2007, 03:51 AM
Wow awesome thanks man and good luck

sherridge101
03-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi JGary,

thanks very much for the shots of the ligthing.
Nice to see the breakdown.
Are you using FPrime montecarlo? What sort of render times are you getting per frame?

Cheers,
Steve

Musart
03-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Grrrrrrrrrrreat ! I love it !

Very pro !

I would ask ... why using Maya for animation ?

MUS

pixym
03-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Really impressive work

JGary
03-07-2007, 12:54 PM
First, thanks for all the positive comments!

Are you using FPrime montecarlo? What sort of render times are you getting per frame?

Fprime with no radiosity for the final renders. However, most of those test shots with the 3D room are using Fprime montecarlo. I shot a HDR dome of the set and tested using that as well, but it was just too slow.

At 1280x720 the membrane tearing sequence renders at about 30 minutes per frame on my dual core AMD 3200+. I set lighting quality in Fprime to .1 for the main render and set it to .5 for the render pass of the shadows on the wall (using luminous darkening in G2). I'm really kicking myself for not using spinning lights instead of area lights, probably could have shaved a good bit of render time off with those.

I would ask ... why using Maya for animation ?

I started 3D in LW 5 and have used it plenty for character animation, but since working with Maya for the past couple of years, I really just can't bring myself back to LW for animation. Maya seems so much more streamlined and easier to use for animation and especially character rigging. Things like not being able to paint weight adjustments in Layout drives me nuts!

Musart
03-07-2007, 02:44 PM
First, thanks for all the positive comments!

Fprime with no radiosity for the final renders. However, most of those test shots with the 3D room are using Fprime montecarlo. I shot a HDR dome of the set and tested using that as well, but it was just too slow.

At 1280x720 the membrane tearing sequence renders at about 30 minutes per frame on my dual core AMD 3200+. I set lighting quality in Fprime to .1 for the main render and set it to .5 for the render pass of the shadows on the wall (using luminous darkening in G2). I'm really kicking myself for not using spinning lights instead of area lights, probably could have shaved a good bit of render time off with those.

I started 3D in LW 5 and have used it plenty for character animation, but since working with Maya for the past couple of years, I really just can't bring myself back to LW for animation. Maya seems so much more streamlined and easier to use for animation and especially character rigging. Things like not being able to paint weight adjustments in Layout drives me nuts!

I see ! Did you use the .obj format for exporting object from LW to MaYa ?

MUS

JGary
03-07-2007, 06:58 PM
I see ! Did you use the .obj format for exporting object from LW to MaYa ?

Yep, works great.

wavk
03-08-2007, 09:29 AM
that sir looks like a-grade stuff! good job!

mlon

JGary
03-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Errr!!! Newtek, why can't a post be edited after a certain length of time?!

My Zbrush thread was moved to the top row (featured thread), so the original link I posted on my first post no longer works.

Here's an updated link that should work:
http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=42732&page=1&pp=15

Digital Hermit
03-10-2007, 12:18 AM
JGary, great modeling animation compositing, (DH goes on and on...)

I gave it five stars... thanks so much for telling and showing us the process!

BTW I use to live in Austin... until the tech bubble popped! :(

Mrjack
03-10-2007, 10:08 AM
And another 5stars from me tooo

Ztreem
03-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Sweet! I love the monster design and execution, great work!

JGary
03-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks again for the comments and stars!!

BTW I use to live in Austin... until the tech bubble popped! :(

Yes, a know a lot of good artists who left when that happened. Austin seems to be picking up steam again, so maybe I'll see some familar faces return.

katsh
03-19-2007, 05:43 AM
wow this is really cool.

druitre
03-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Very convincing, nice design on the monster. And I really like the gory/slimey effects you've achieved in the renders.

JGary
04-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Finally finished work on this project. Here's a few images from the rest of the short.
I'm setting up a website right now and will post some quicktime movies of the finished shots on it.

Approaching the desk

Getting Shot. Someone else will be putting in the laser bolts.

Exploding! Hoyt Lindley from Horseback Salad did the blue liquid simulation in this shot.

Needed more explosion goo than what was in the original shot. Might still add some animated chunkier stuff running down the walls.

A little set extension work since the set did not have a ceiling.

sherridge101
04-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Excellent work.
Looking forward to the quicktime movies.

Steve

JGary
04-19-2007, 02:07 PM
I now have 4 of the shots up on my website as quicktime movies.
www.digitaljackson3d.com
Click on the monster roaring image and you will see the 4 quicktime movie thumbnails on the page. This is a new website, so feel free to also take a look and tell me what you think. Not all of the image thumbnails have links to the larger images yet.

SonicPerfect
04-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Woooooooooowwww!! Awesome job!!
Wow! Wow!!
Fantastic, man!!
Great lightning results!!
Congrats!!
Wow!!

peteb
05-02-2007, 04:54 AM
really liked this. I love all the little bubbles and details in the slime, how did you achieve that effect?

Also need some advice. I made a little horror film last week with some friends. I've posted it in this forum titled "short Horror film" or something like that. I would give you a link but don't want to hijack your thread . My question is about compositing moving 3D objects and making them look like they're in the live sequence.

The way I've done it so far was to get some basic measurements of the real set and then use that to make a basic 3D set in the same dimensions. Is this the best way of doing it because I can see this going really wrong if you don't have the perfect match for the lens of the camera and the distance it was filmed?

Sorry for going slightly off topic but I'd really appreciate your expertise in this.

Pete B

JGary
05-02-2007, 09:17 AM
The way I've done it so far was to get some basic measurements of the real set and then use that to make a basic 3D set in the same dimensions. Is this the best way of doing it because I can see this going really wrong if you don't have the perfect match for the lens of the camera and the distance it was filmed?

I'm not sure if it's the best way, but that's what I did as well. It really helps if you have the horizontal angle of view for you camera. Then it's just a matter of position and rotation. Since I was just putting in a creature, matching lens distortion wasn't a concern.

There's also a free plugin called FI's camera match that can help match your room geo to the live action plate. I haven't tried it though.

Here's a great book that covers that topic as well as many, many other things concerning making your own movie. It even has some cool utilities included on the DVD, one being a app that will help you determine the live action camera's horizontal angle of view if you don't know.

The DV Rebel's Guide: An All-Digital Approach to Making Killer Action Movies on the Cheap (Paperback)
http://www.amazon.com/DV-Rebels-Guide-All-Digital-Approach/dp/0321413644/sr=8-1/qid=1170288823/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7452736-0115169?ie=UTF8&s=books

And, you should also check out Druitre's thread on a short movie he did.

Shoot'em up short movie
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65617

Be sure to check out the making of video that has wireframe's superimposed over the live action.

Hope that helps,

peteb
05-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Hey thanks a lot for the links I'll check them out now.

Congratulations on some great work, looking forward to some more stuff from you.

Pete B

JGary
05-03-2007, 07:54 AM
I love all the little bubbles and details in the slime, how did you achieve that effect?

Pete B

Forgot to address the other question you had in your post. Here's something I posted in the Zbrush thread explaining the texturing. It's specifically for the color channel, but the other channels used the same process.

Instead of painting a texture image, I rendered out a couple of image maps of the displacement with different materials in Zbrush (cavity, Jantim's red paint, plaster, etc.) then, in Lightwave, used gradients to change the color/contrast and blend modes to combine the different images.

Here's a confusing image to help (text numbers correspond to image numbers)
1. Cavity map image set as base layer
2. coloring/contrast changed using gradient
3. Displacment rendered with Jantim's red paint material used in layer set to Photoshop Hardlight blend mode
4. procedural blood (rendered with image maps turned off)

I know it seems like a pain to manipulate the images using gradients, but using FPrime's interactive preview window, feedback on the changes is immediate.
Would a painted texture have looked better? Probably...but this was fast

peteb
05-03-2007, 09:12 AM
I've never really gone that in depth with gradients. Looking at your set up it looks like you used a lot weightmaps to decide where certain parts of the textures should be coming through?

So has Z-brush got an option to render out shaders into a T-page using the UV's you've applied. I didn't know you could do that?

Thanks for the info, it's really appreciated.

Pete B

JGary
05-03-2007, 11:25 AM
I've never really gone that in depth with gradients. Looking at your set up it looks like you used a lot weightmaps to decide where certain parts of the textures should be coming through?

Yeah, the weight maps are mostly being used to control the procedual blood.

So has Z-brush got an option to render out shaders into a T-page using the UV's you've applied. I didn't know you could do that?

In Zbrush, you can take your rendered displacement and fill the canvas with it. The lighting/materials react to the grayscale info in the displacement. Once you get something you like, you can save it out as a image.

peteb
05-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Many thanks for that

I'm going to have to look into using that technique. I've just been over at Z-brush central and seen what Monstermakers been up to with Z3. Think I'm going to have to get that.

Pete B

musick
05-15-2007, 03:54 AM
Awesome!

balogo
05-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Show, show, show....

JGary
07-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Dredging up this old thread to say I wrote a 'making of' for this project's FX. For anyone interested, you can find it here:
http://www.3dm3.com/mag/cgchosen/no04_monster_creatures/

jasonwestmas
07-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Materials are where mosters shine the most I think. Great stuff!

psychostyrene
07-17-2007, 03:12 AM
congrats, id love to swap brains long enuf to understand how you got this done :D

JGary
05-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Shoving this old thread up to the top once again. My friend that wrote and directed this short now has a version up on YouTube. He wanted me to post a new link for this version...trying to get more views on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rET_R_kyCOM

bazsa73
05-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Congratulations JGary! Spectacular abonimation created you have .

kojean
05-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Very nice work. I missed this the first time around. Thanks for sharing your process and making-of screens.