PDA

View Full Version : The Price of Ram

Glendalough
03-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Was going to buy a new G5 a little over a year ago, but was put off by the change to Intel. Now am thinking of the MacPro but find the ram seems to be incredibly expensive!

Surely 2 GB is really the minimum (The new OS is probably going to need a lot).

It doesn't seem that one can put in 3 GB so 4 has to be the answer. If I get just 2 and then upgrade to 4 later seems I may have to dump some of the old(?).

Actually don't really understand...could you just get 2x1gbs, and then later do the same.

Is the ram going to come down in price. My son just got 2 gbs in a macbook, the whole lot was way under $1500 (student price, but still), just seems inconsistent, the ram for the MacPros beening very expensive and not a laptop either.

Also wondering about the whole 64 bit issue, Apple doesn't seem to talk about this anymore. I know it never happened for the G5 such as I bought because of the graphics card not being 64....Wondering what is happening in this area with the Intel MacPro.

Any ideas or information on this would be greatly valued!

mlinde
03-02-2007, 08:20 AM
RAM in the Mac Pro is a bit strange, but it makes sense to the engineers, I bet. Essentially you have 8 RAM slots, 4 on each riser. When you buy a stock machine, you get 2x512 in the top riser, back slots. When you add RAM, you need to add sticks in pairs, so you could add 2x1GB to the back slots on the bottom riser, for a set of 3GB.

The prices are high. The Mac Pro uses high-end memory: FB-DIMMs (fully-buffered DIMMs) which have ECC built in, so would more commonly be used in servers than desktops, but they provide increased accuracy and (by extension) uptime to a machine. The MacBook Pros use standard 5300 DDR SO-DIMMs, which have become commonplace over the last year or so, which is why the prices are so different.

When you buy RAM for a Mac Pro, the heatsink modules are very important. The unit still generates a lot of heat, but the design keeps those modules cool and therefore stable.

Glendalough
03-02-2007, 09:00 AM
RAM in the Mac Pro is a bit strange, but it makes sense to the engineers, I bet. Essentially you have 8 RAM slots, 4 on each riser. When you buy a stock machine, you get 2x512 in the top riser, back slots. When you add RAM, you need to add sticks in pairs, so you could add 2x1GB to the back slots on the bottom riser, for a set of 3GB.

Thanks mlinde.

So there is no requirement for filling the slots except to work in pairs?

Thus I could get 3GB and later add a pair of 2x1GB=2+ original 3 =5
or 2x2GB=4 + original 3 =7?

John the Geek
03-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks mlinde.

So there is no requirement for filling the slots except to work in pairs?

Thus I could get 3GB and later add a pair of 2x1GB=2+ original 3 =5
or 2x2GB=4 + original 3 =7?

Exactly.

For example, mine came with 2GB of RAM (4 chips of 512MB - the bums!) and I added 4 more chips of 2GB each, so now I'm at 10GB with all slots full. They have to be identical pairs and seated next to each other.

I have mine installed like so:

First riser:
- 4GB
- 4GB
- 512MB
- 512MB

Second Riser:
- 4GB
- 4GB
- 512MB
- 512MB

Glendalough
03-03-2007, 05:49 AM
Ho!

Thanks for the help, John the Greek.

Looks like there is some reasonable solution to the Ram configuration dilemma.

hdace
03-04-2007, 02:48 PM
For example, mine came with 2GB of RAM (4 chips of 512MB - the bums!) and I added 4 more chips of 2GB each, so now I'm at 10GB with all slots full. They have to be identical pairs and seated next to each other.

I have mine installed like so:

First riser:
- 4GB
- 4GB
- 512MB
- 512MB

Second Riser:
- 4GB
- 4GB
- 512MB
- 512MB

Sorry for being pedantic, but, um, doesn't that add up to 18GB?

John the Geek
03-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Sorry for being pedantic, but, um, doesn't that add up to 18GB?

My math ain't so gooder.

I meant 2GB each, not 4GB.

wargum
03-06-2007, 11:15 AM
The high prices for FB-DIMMs is what kept me from going with the Mac Pro, I bought a used Power Mac G5 (Dual-Core, which supports DDR2-RAM) instead. I bought 2x 2 GB Modules for only around 300 Euro, for the Mac Pro it would be 2 times the price. Plus, I can also put up to 16 gigs in, just like the Mac Pro.

hdace
03-06-2007, 01:12 PM
The high prices for FB-DIMMs is what kept me from going with the Mac Pro, I bought a used Power Mac G5 (Dual-Core, which supports DDR2-RAM) instead. I bought 2x 2 GB Modules for only around 300 Euro, for the Mac Pro it would be 2 times the price. Plus, I can also put up to 16 gigs in, just like the Mac Pro.

Same here. It will be a very long time before I go Pro. We have a dozen intel iMacs, but they're just for rendering. When it comes to modeling & animation, you need the real deal, and you don't need rip-off ram.

Mind you, I can't even afford the cheap ones!