PDA

View Full Version : All of 9.2 Modeler Tools

Julez4001
03-02-2007, 04:52 AM
Can we get a detailed list of all the new Modeler Tools in 9.2.

The Newsletter showed the edge expand and surface selection. Anything else.

WilliamVaughan
03-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Some of my personal favorites are:

>>Spin Edge
>>Display Origin Only- I live in this mode now when I model
>>Toggle Backdrop
>>Create Rows
>>Untangle
>>The Select Entyire Surface is great and if you hot key it it saves you from having to use the stats window

Julez4001
03-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Some of my personal favorites are:

>>Spin Edge
>>Display Origin Only- I live in this mode now when I model
>>Toggle Backdrop
>>Create Rows
>>Untangle
>>The Select Entyire Surface is great and if you hot key it it saves you from having to use the stats window

How does the "Display Origin Only" work?
Why do you live there:)

is Create Rows, an edge tool?

borkus
03-02-2007, 04:24 PM
display origin simply shows you the direction of the axis and is a lot less confusing than showing the whole grid. very good for models that don't need the precision of the grid. i too have fallen in love with this new option. not sure about the create rows. haven't tried it out yet

Maxx
03-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Create rows - so far - kinda reminds me of a point-based version of Bridge that doesn't rely upon point selection order.

Andyjaggy
03-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Toggle backdrop is very useful. One of those simple things that comes is very handy.

What does untangle do? I don't recall ever seeing anything about it.

Werner
03-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Create rows is shaky at best. I get more screwed up polys than anything else.

Display Origin is great!

greent
03-05-2007, 03:46 AM
i hope that they'll fix that edge sharpness problem when adding new geometry on cc sds.

Wonderpup
03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
i hope that they'll fix that edge sharpness problem when adding new geometry on cc sds.

If we had this working and edge sliding I would be a happy modeling bunny.

greent
03-05-2007, 12:36 PM
btw, how about some videos about those new modeling tools? :-)

Weetos
03-05-2007, 01:15 PM
btw, how about some videos about those new modeling tools? :-)

Second that ! this would be great :agree:

Joker II
03-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Yep, would love to see some vids too :agree:

riki
03-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Yes vids are always welcome

geothefaust
03-07-2007, 09:54 AM
I haven't seen the 'Untangle' tool yet, and I can't look for it until I get home.

What does it do?

Lewis
03-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Create rows is shaky at best. I get more screwed up polys than anything else.

Display Origin is great!

wher ei can find that "display origin" in menues ??? Even Search can't find anyothing named like that ?

borkus
03-09-2007, 07:31 PM
it's in the display options under the layout tab labeled "show origin"

WilliamVaughan
03-09-2007, 09:48 PM
D for Display Options

Werner
03-09-2007, 11:55 PM
you can switch of the grid and keep "Show origin" on...in the display properties, right next to grid.

Lewis
03-10-2007, 04:58 AM
Ahh that one :). Ok I turn it On and I get black line with XYZ showed - cool - deosn't help too much if I dont' model at center of world (which is very often due fact tha ti can't move scan data and need to model on pretty big scale) but it's cool when it's cenetered :)

BTW anyone findout what for is "Game mode" ?? I hit that button and nothing happens so i wonder what is for :).

mav3rick
03-10-2007, 06:01 AM
oh im sorry u dont model in center :P

mouse_art
03-21-2007, 12:57 PM
BTW anyone findout what for is "Game mode" ?? I hit that button and nothing happens so i wonder what is for :).

Didn't find anything out about Game mode either.
Maybe it is a placeholder for feature like silo has(Walktrough Mode), but yes it tells us that it might be something "more in the sense of interactivity".

I don't know, but interesting, indeed. ;)

nukemodular
03-21-2007, 05:32 PM

you have to hit it more often...the more you click, the more points you will get...but you will only see the points after you lost your last life...then create a poly with that amount of points and save it in the hall of fame...:hey:

Lewis
03-21-2007, 05:41 PM
I findout what Game mode is for but i wont tell ya :) :P

serge
03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
I haven't seen the 'Untangle' tool yet, and I can't look for it until I get home.

What does it do?
This:

badllarma
03-21-2007, 07:49 PM
I findout what Game mode is for but i wont tell ya :) :P

It's called PIM but not in 9.2 :D

R Haseltine
03-22-2007, 08:55 AM
This:

Which was before and which was after?

Marvin Miller
03-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Untangle takes a polygon and makes it a circle. The more points in the polygon, the closer the circle gets to being perfect.

44247 Before

44248 After

Bliz
03-22-2007, 10:03 AM
That circle thang is gonna be so useful for mechanical modeling.

Can hardly wait for the official 9.2 release now!

serge
03-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Which was before and which was after?
Wasn't that obvious? The first picture was AFTER I decided to try 'untangle', and the second picture was just BEFORE I decided not to use 'untangle' anymore..... Just kidding. My example shows that it perfectly makes the N-gon into a circle (what it's supposed to do), but that not every object seems suitable. Marvin shows a better example. :)

R Haseltine
03-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Ah - I was hoping that it was designed to remove crossed edges, and maybe the first was after untangling and the second was the thing untangled. It seems an odd name for the function.

spl3001
03-24-2007, 03:11 AM
That untangle tool is going to be awesome in the full release. All those nasty boolean holes and destroyed meshes are going to be a thing of the past with that. At least it looks that way.

zhero2
07-10-2007, 02:51 AM
Hi, I was about to check out the Untangle tool, but I couldn't find it.
It should be under the Utilities - Plugins - Additional, but it wasn't there.
I tried to edit menu layout. I found Untangle on the search and placed it
where it supposed to be, but it didn't show up now either. I placed it on a
hotkey at last (alt+u), and then I got it, but I would have it in my menu
also. What to do?

starbase1
07-10-2007, 03:13 AM
How did I miss this thread?

I do think there is a common theme here, that the documentation is simply not telling people what the tools are good for. As I remarked in another thread I LOVE the way the hexagon docs have small embedded videos in them, it's really effective.

I recently discovered rounder - but find the huge number of options incredibly confusing - and with all the posible combinations let alone applying it to edges polys or partial selections, it's not likely I'm cover it all by experimenting. Particularly as I often seem to get a technobabble error and a warning that modeler is now unstable...

(try applying it to a simple torus).

It seems a seriously powerful tool, but how do I use it?

Nick

Gary Wales
07-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Untangle would be useful if it worked on curved surfaces, sadly it doesn't.

Aha! I was wondering why my sllightly curved surface was requiring the final 'round' polygon to be rotated, twisted etc. to fit back to the surface normal!

colkai
07-11-2007, 02:58 AM
id trade all the new tools for a good edge bevel with rounding
Agreed, Uh-Huh, darn tootin'..You betcha, You ain't just whistlin' Dixie! ;)

-EsHrA-
08-09-2007, 02:48 AM
do we have something like blender's beautyfill?
i thought untangle sounded the same but does something different.

weird name btw. for a tool that makes 'circles'.

mlon

Andyjaggy
08-09-2007, 08:48 AM
I've found untangle very usefull. However you are right, it would be sooooo much better if it worked on curved surfaces.

also I can't get the toggle backdrop to work? Anyone else having luck with it?

IMI
08-12-2007, 06:48 PM
I "discovered" Rounder one day, and since then I use it alot.
I'm still trying to figure out what the big difference is between Smooth Shift and Bevel. They seem more or less interchangeable.

erikals
08-13-2007, 12:51 AM
I know this is Nurbs, but Rhino 4 has a darn cool tool that rounds the edges.
To me this is worth $400 alone.

www.erikalstad.com/cgtemp/Rhino4.zip

digg it :)

starbase1
08-13-2007, 03:15 AM
I "discovered" Rounder one day, and since then I use it alot.
I'm still trying to figure out what the big difference is between Smooth Shift and Bevel. They seem more or less interchangeable.

I frequently get technobabble error messages and a crash if using rounder on anything more complex than a cube or one edge...

You will only see a clear difference if you apply to more than one polygon.

For example, if you apply both to a whole cube, with Smooth Shift you will get a bigger cube, with bevel (assuming large shift and some inset) each face will go spiky. Bevel operates on each face individually, smooth shift operates on them as a set.

Andyjaggy
08-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Rounder takes some TLC to get working. Once you figure out it's quirks it's pretty usable........ Kind of :D

JeffrySG
08-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Steve Warner has a great free video that explains rounder.

It's from his new book Essential Lightwave 9... I highly recommend the book. It has almost 1000 pages and about 14hrs of video training...

http://www.stevewarner.com/Freeview/01/

--cheers

IMI
08-17-2007, 04:28 PM
That's pretty funny - "Rounder is the only tool in Modeler which tries to fight you as you use it". :D

erikals
08-17-2007, 05:30 PM
I never thought rounder was all that bad, but that's just me.
The beveling functions however, I would really-really liek to see something breathtaking.
Seriously, advanced Beveling or Rounding takes such a long time, it is sort of a waste unfortunatly to do it in Lightwave Modeler..

I need to make a thoughroughly Modeler tools Feature Request List one of these days. I've already started... Other programs show some capabilities NT really should look into.

hrgiger
08-17-2007, 05:41 PM
I know this is Nurbs, but Rhino 4 has a darn cool tool that rounds the edges.
To me this is worth $400 alone.

www.erikalstad.com/cgtemp/Rhino4.zip

digg it :)

Yeah. That's how a rounding tool should work.

IMI
08-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks, JeffrySG, for the movie link, btw. I use Rounder quite a bit for simple things, but I honestly thought it was half broken, and would just close it, undo and move on with some other method.
Very cool, though, to see how it's actually supposed to be used.
I also wasn't aware that the book came with a video DVD. I buy all my books online through Books a Million, and they don't even mention the DVD on the page for it. (It's only $35.00 there).
And now I'm off to order it. :)

http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=3873899422194&isbn=1598220241

JeffrySG
08-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Thanks, JeffrySG, for the movie link, btw. I use Rounder quite a bit for simple things, but I honestly thought it was half broken, and would just close it, undo and move on with some other method.
Very cool, though, to see how it's actually supposed to be used.
I also wasn't aware that the book came with a video DVD. I buy all my books online through Books a Million, and they don't even mention the DVD on the page for it. (It's only $35.00 there).
And now I'm off to order it. :)

http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=3873899422194&isbn=1598220241
no problem...

It actually comes with a DVD-ROM but there are a whole bunch of Quicktime movies. Some very good tutorials and some great videos that review the new nodes/shaders as well. About 14hrs worth....

IMI
08-18-2007, 10:23 AM
no problem...

It actually comes with a DVD-ROM but there are a whole bunch of Quicktime movies. Some very good tutorials and some great videos that review the new nodes/shaders as well. About 14hrs worth....

Yeah, it looks pretty cool. I ordered it right after posting my previous comment.
The order went through, but it won't get processed until Monday, because they don't do that on the weekends, so I won't have it until probably Wednesday.
[email protected], I want it NOW! :D
Thanks again for the reminder. I tried to order this book a little while ago, but at the last minute noticed it wasn't in stock yet, and then forgot all about it.

greent
08-18-2007, 10:53 AM
i think, since version 9.3 is on the way, that is time for us to see some new features rather than under the hood fixes. of course, those fixes should continue, but main focus should be something that average user would actually _see_ in everyday work. like new ca tools and better implementation of cc and existing tools.

erikals
08-18-2007, 11:10 AM
...and modeler tools, Amen.

IMI
08-18-2007, 11:36 AM
I'd be happy simply with better, more interactive UV mapping tools.
I'm less than thrilled with the loop selection tools, too. Could be better, would be nice to be able to double click on an edge or poly to do it like you can in modo.

erikals
08-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Dito, use PLG UV tools for now,
http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

for polyloop I made a shortcut (Ctrl+f5), the modo 2-click option sounds good. (also in regards to other tools)

IMI
08-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Yep, same here. Excellent plugins. :)

erikals
09-17-2007, 12:34 AM
One thing I found is that in addition to working poorly on corners that turn inward, it "randomizes" the polyflow in the corners for some reason.
(this example is based 100% on cubes, so the bug is definatly caused by Rounder)

Yes, I think rounder is ready for an update.