PDA

View Full Version : Parent to polygon normal???

akademus
03-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi everyone,
I need to create a light rig which needs to follow deformation on af object. So it is kind a luxigon light setup with light arrays placed on each polygon normal, but it needs to change position and orientation of lights as object itself bends. I attached sample scene and object deformation don't really needs to be Displacement plugin like Bend or such.

Here is also an illustration of what light orientation should be.

Thanks a lot.

I hope solution to this problem will be helpful to a lot of people.

Ma3rk
03-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Interesting idea. Not sure how you need to go about it, though it must be doable. I tried a test using morphing and had same problem. I suspect you'll have to do something with a motion modifier using Expression or Relativity.

Good luck. Hope you figure it out.

M.

Carm3D
03-04-2007, 01:07 PM
I scratched my chin for several moments... Then decided that the best way to do this would be to make an alternate version of your object.. on that is subdivided so that there is a point in the middle of each polygon of your original object.

Then do whatever you need to do to your original object.. and do an .MDD scan. Add SoftFX with your .MDD file on it.

Parent your subdivided object to the original object and add FX_MetaLink so it follows the original object.

.MDD scan the subdivided object.

Add ClothFX to the subdivided object and load up the .MDD for it.

In the Edit tab, click on each point that you want to have a light parented to and use "MakePath"

Parent a light to the new null.

Have fun.. I wouldn't want to do it.

akademus
03-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Hey, thanks for scratching your chin :)
At the end I did that. Only thing is, it is a one way shot. I just hope no one will want to change timing!

Thanks again

Cheers

Carm3D
03-07-2007, 05:09 PM
You're welcome.

Surrealist.
03-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Isn't there anyway to use something like sock monkey or something where you could have nulls in the scene that deform the object? Then you could parent the light columns to the nulls, creating a row of columns that bend.

Seems there ought to be a way to do this so you could ainimate the lights/object.