PDA

View Full Version : Best Intel Render Settings in 9.0???

Mr Maze
03-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

Still very new at this - around 9 months experience. I mostly use Lightwave at work on a windows box with a lot of ram, works pretty good. However, I have an Intel iMac (Core Duo) and I am wondering if there is anybody out there who has found some choice settings for rendering on the intel macs that would help me speed things up.

That is, until the 9.2 UB is released...

harlan
03-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Well... it would really be scene dependent as each individual scene would have it's own set of needs, so it's not really possible to recommend render settings based on processor.

You could play with the Render Threads to find the optimal setting based on your processor.

The best speed tip I can give you for LW on an Intel based Mac is to install bootcamp & Windows XP and run it from Windows. Until the UB is ready, I wouldn't plan too much on using LW under OSX/Intel - it's just way to unstable and slooooow.

Mr Maze
03-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Hi Harlan.

You're right. I think I was looking for a super secret magic combination that would give the results of......the 9.2 UB.

I have thoroughly tested the render threads and found 2 the best setting all around. I did have bootcamp set up and was running vista but vista made me want to barf. Its like xp started using 'roids and overdosed on laxatives.

I guess if I can't possibly wait till the end of the month then I will have shell out for XP...

John the Geek
03-02-2007, 06:33 AM
I took a Dual 1GHz PowerPC G4 and stuffed 2GB of RAM in it and it seems to run circles around my quad-core Xeon Mac Pro at render speed. Native is nice. I have 4 more of these I'm going to set up and make a 5 Mac/10-thread LWSN setup for my renders until this thing gets released. (Which I sense will not likely be until July or later given the slipping schedules)

I'll use my Xeon paperweight as a LWSN controller. It seems to handle that ok.

-John

EDIT: My boss just bought me 4 more GB of RAM (I'm up to 10GB now.) I don't have the heart to tell him it's not helping.

Mr Maze
03-02-2007, 07:55 AM
You can send some of that RAM my way. I need one more gig to max out my machine...