PDA

View Full Version : Mimic Pro for Lightwave

achrystie
03-01-2007, 02:52 PM
If anyone is interested, the Mimic Pro for Lightwave plugin is on sale at www.daz3d.com for $1.99, if you are a Platinum Club Member. If you aren't, you can join the Platinum Club for $29.99 and then buy the plugin for $1.99.

So a max cost of $32.00 for the plugin that normally sold for $299.

I of course have no idea how compatible it is with Lightwave 9.0/9.2, I'm merely spreading the information.

Anyone own and use it with the latest version and can comment on whether it's worth the $32?

There were some postings on the DAZ site that they were working on an upgrade for Mimic Pro for Lightwave, but that was quite some time ago, I have no idea what stage the upgrade is at, if there is one coming. Right now the Lightwave plugin is behind the Poser version by a generation, and thus probably the reason for putting it up in the sale.

Other stuff on sale too, for those that buy content, which I know is not necessarily that many people, I only have a few DAZ pieces myself, and mostly the freebies. :) But there are some figures, clothes, hair, some building, etc. available for platinum club members at $1.99 as well. The sale is a "vote" from a list of 100 items that were added in addition to the regular $1.99 items that are for sale to PC members at DAZ.

Just an FYI in case anyone wanted to buy the plugin but were turned off by the $299 price.

ABC

lesterfoster
03-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks achrystie.. Going to look more into this after work today. Thanks

alvin_cgi
03-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks achrystie.

I can't see anything about Minic Pro for LW sale on DAZ site...? Do I need to join the Platinum Club before I can see that?:stumped:

achrystie
03-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Nope, here's a link. No platinum club necessary to "look", just to buy.
That's how DAZ gets you. :) But it's still probably a pretty good deal for $32.

http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/shop/itemdetails/-/?item=1993&cat=337

Good luck.

StereoMike
03-01-2007, 04:15 PM
For how long lasts this offer?

mike

achrystie
03-01-2007, 06:31 PM
You can buy it until tomorrow morning, but I"m not sure the time.
They won't give an exact time, they just say that the current items will go off sale when the new items (the most recently voted on) go "on" sale.

lesterfoster
03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
You can buy it until tomorrow morning, but I"m not sure the time.
They won't give an exact time, they just say that the current items will go off sale when the new items (the most recently voted on) go "on" sale.

Just got home a little while ago. How do I become a Platinum Club Member right now to take advantage of this offer?

Concho
03-01-2007, 07:08 PM
On the left part of the screen click on Platinum Club, then click on Join the
Platinium Club and add which membership you want to your shopping cart
and proceed to check out. I'm curious to know if this pluggin will work in
the 9.0 versions. Hope this helps.

Digital Hermit
03-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanx for the heads up on this achrystie!

... got mine for $1.99 (hey, that rhymes!)

Regards,

DH

DiedonD
03-02-2007, 01:48 AM
I wouldnt get too excited about this. It doesnt works so well in LW. Ive tried it, as one of my friends has it. It looks great from a distance. You speak into it, and Mimic does the morphing for you in a blitz. But thats an illusion. It lacks control. And by the time you tweak it well enough to regain control, you mind aswell use the same if not less effort in LW's Morph Mixer. Thats what I founnd out in the end.

Dodgy
03-02-2007, 03:17 AM
I would disagree, it gives you ultimate control. It's a very well thought out piece of software. The method behind it is this.
You build your morph targets.
You can assign one OR MORE morphs to each phoneme or groups of phonemes (if the face shape will serve well enough for each phoneme in the group) using percentages to tune each morph for that phoneme.
Then you import your wav, and a text file which has a rough phonetic translation of the voice.
Then hit Apply (or whatever the button's called) and it matches the phonemes to the voice.
This works pretty well, but each phoneme is added as a chunk to the time line, like a motion to motion mixer, so you can select and slide phonemes around, stretch them, delete them, add more and adjust how strongly each phoneme works, and so on.
If you want to change a certain phoneme so it has it's own morphs, you can break it off from the group it's part of at any time, and set it up as above. Because the phonemes are mapped to the wav individually, this will automatically update the animation without you having to recalculate. Really, it's all about the work flow with mimic, you can go back and change it all really easily. Pro also has facial expressions and will wriggle the head around for you a bit.

It really is a very useful package.

DiedonD
03-02-2007, 03:37 AM
This works pretty well, but each phoneme is added as a chunk to the time line, like a motion to motion mixer, so you can select and slide phonemes around, stretch them, delete them, add more and adjust how strongly each phoneme works, and so on.

Yes thats what I meant. Its not that you just input the voice, type the samew words, and voila it automatically makes your character speak. No, you need to arrange a letter lets say "A" to the morph of your character that looks like saying "A".

And if thats not enough disillusionment, even if you arrange all that, there are bugs, and what you say sliders, stretching, deleting and the like that you need to go through all the sentences. Doesnt that seem alot alike MM?

You go through the whole Sentences in MM, this was suppose to be a shortcut to that. Instead you end up sliding, deleting and tweaking here and there just like there. But it wont ever beat MM's Graph Editors level of control. And in MM you dont have any kinds of bugs.

Regarding bugs. When I tried Mimic, my characters chin would move sideways. While NO MORPH of mine goes sideways. It wasnt a fighter so as its chin to move like that. All morphs' chins were straight and down. So I dont see where did it get the idea to do that. So its a bug of some sort. Which in MM you dont have. Plus its more or less the same tedious work, and it cant beat the MM Graph Editor kind of control. Thats why I havent bought it in the first place. But hey, if someone can afford to spent 32 dollars so as to try out the whole pacakge for real, they should go ahead and do so. But dont say I didnt warned you, cause here I am telling you that it isnt what it seems.

philipsavage
03-02-2007, 03:38 AM
I have been using Mimic Pro, on and off, for a couple of years. I think it's a great starting point for lipsync, especially if you have long sentences. The key is to set up the phenomes with care, let Mimic do it's thing then tweak them in morph mixer. If you're prepared to type in the text the results are more accurate.
One gripe would be the diplay in Mimic, it's acceptable but could be a lot better. I've tested the beta version of Mimic3 for LW and I know they have tried to improve it but on my version the subdivision order is set to first, where it should be last. I'm sure this will be corrected if 3 is released.
I find that if I do lipsync, just using Morph Mixer, and the character is a bit polygon heavy, the audio doesn't scrub clearly enough to discern accurately.
Mimic at this price is a steal.

cresshead
03-02-2007, 04:45 AM
i got mine yesterday...

:thumbsup:

okay have load of work to do but simply had to have a quick bash with mimic!

used a online text to speach app to convert my text into a female wav file...
loaded it onto the tutorial alien....
made a slap dash bg pic via searching google for 'mars'
added some text logo

dropped it back into lw...
hit render then comped the video and audio in tvpaint...

http://www.cresshead.com/wip/mars_24_news.mov

http://www.cresshead.com/wip/razor1_welcome.mov

for what i want it's amazing...great for fast/cheap lipsync kncked out in mins not days!

cresshead
03-02-2007, 04:51 AM
made in lw 9.0 by the way...

Dodgy
03-02-2007, 04:55 AM
Yes thats what I meant. Its not that you just input the voice, type the same words, and voila it automatically makes your character speak. No, you need to arrange a letter lets say "A" to the morph of your character that looks like saying "A".

Unless you're going to pay $94,995 USMSRP for XSI face robot, you're not going to get 'make animation for me' plugin. Face robot does exactly what you want, and now you're looking at a $32(used to be 299) package to do the same?
The fact is you get useable lipsync quickly and easily, which IF you want to, you can tweak easily. It even assigns morphs to certain phonemes for you if you use the right names for the morphs. Doing all that in Motion mixer is no where near as quick and easy especially if you wanted to go back and change which morphs are used for which phoneme. This is completely nonlinear.

I used to use LipSync a japanese plugin which has a motion mixer interface for this as it was free, but at 32 dollars, this is much better.

I haven't seen any bugs, but then I'm not doing what you're doing with it, so that may be the case.

lesterfoster
03-02-2007, 06:48 AM
What am I doing wrong? I was up late last night trying to buy this plug-in. And up early today trying to buy this plug-in. But so far not able. I don't know how many times that I signed up for Platinum Club Membership. I hope I only paid for one membership. I keep getting the $299.00 and not the $1.99 price. How do I get the $1.99 price?

colkai
03-02-2007, 08:15 AM
I first paid my platinum membership, confirmed that order, then went back in and ordered MimicPro for LW. NOTE: MimicPro is NOT discounted, MimicPro for Lw is.

cresshead
03-02-2007, 08:54 AM
awesome bargin!
gonna have some fun with this!

http://www.cresshead.com/wip/youtubemarsgrab.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFDJDM_MMvI

:D

[some audio slipping/laging on the you tube version..maybe need more video keyframes in there]

achrystie
03-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Funny, I brought the news, bought it myself, and it doesn't work for me in Lightwave 9.0.

I double click in the deformation tab, as it says to do, and it locks the whole program up....

Anyone else using this with Lightwave 9.0?
One person piped up on the DAZ support forum and said it worked for them.

The demo worked fine for me, unfortunately the actual plugin does not seem to. The best I can guess, if it should work, is some sort of configuration problem with the plugin.

Anyone have any advice for getting it working?
I'm using the stock models to test, load the plugin under deformation, then double click...lockup, the window pops up like it's trying to load, but just sits there as a white square. I have to use task manager to kill it.

AMD Athlon XP 32 bit
1 GB of RAM
Nvidia 6600
Windows XP 32 Bit SP2

Thanks,
ABC

Dodgy
03-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Try copying the mimic dlls in the programs subfolder into the LW Programs directory, it might be looking for them there.

jasonwestmas
03-02-2007, 03:19 PM
schweet.

alvin_cgi
03-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Looks like the 1.99 sale finished... too late for me...:( :cry:

scratch33
03-02-2007, 03:41 PM
For me too...:cry: :cry: :cry:

FONGOOL
03-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Interesting that they apparently made no attempt at all to promote the sale. What's the point of that?

I bought the first version of Mimic for LW and found it easy to work with, I actually didn't care for the auto lip synch at all (it looked like it was trying to key every possible phoneme and the results were utterly spastic) after trying to edit the auto generated keyframes for a few minutes, I just gave up, wiped the keys out and did it all by hand. But the results were really good if I do say so myself so I found it and easy tool to work with even without using the auto feature.

The only hitch was that audio scrubbing was useless, resulting in horrible stuttering audio. That slowed down the workflow a bit...

JamesCurtis
03-02-2007, 04:48 PM
I have to say that I just finished a 30 second commercial for a client using MimicPro for LW [using clients copy] and it worked rather well. Mimic's character view display did distort my characters a bit, but it did not affect [ruin] the real morphs in my renders at all. I used it for 3 talking characters on several shots in the spot. It's not airing yet, so I can't show it to anyone for now.

I picked up on a copy of it for myself now. Definately worth it at $1.99. Hope a few LWer's were able to get it!!

Also picked up on Hexagon 2.1 the same way. Really sweeeet deals.

cresshead
03-02-2007, 05:58 PM
yeah works fine on lightwave 9.0 [windows version] the only thing i have with lw9.0 is that i disable the hub...have done for a few weeks now other than that i just did a bog standard install...

not tried it on the beta of 9.2 yet

Sensei
03-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Interesting that they apparently made no attempt at all to promote the sale. What's the point of that?

It's for making noice about software and web traffic, not for making money..

JamesCurtis
03-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I believe an email was sent to all Daz3d customers about the promo. I think It was meant to get customers to hopefully sign up for the Platinum Club and spark more sales from other areas of the store as well.

It was kinda neat to be able to choose from a list of items which ones you'd like to get the most for less than two bucks. I don't think I spent more than $16.00 for what I wanted to get [8 items total].

I've been a monthly paying member of the PC for 6 months and don't regret it. I've easily gotten a thousand dollars plus worth of models, textures, and software for less than a couple hundred bucks!

They also have freebies each month just for visitors too. I have used the content in some of my LW projects.

colkai
03-04-2007, 03:58 AM
I picked up on a copy of it for myself now. Definately worth it at $1.99. Hope a few LWer's were able to get it!!

Also picked up on Hexagon 2.1 the same way. Really sweeeet deals.
Likewise,
Between Newtek and DAZ, I now own several more packages than I would normally be able to afford to, sweet! :)

As Dodgy says though, IF you don't install it into your Lightwave directory, make sure all the DLL's in the "programs" subdir of Mimic are placed into the Lightwave 'programs' subdir, otherwise it won't even load into Lw from "add plugins".
Make sure you do this for each incarnation of LW you have of 7.5 and above.

It loaded fine and dandy in both LW8.5 and Lw9.0 once I did this.

achrystie
03-04-2007, 04:43 AM
Well I finally got it working yesterday.
It wasn't a problem with the .dll not being in the program folder. The default installer was putting things in the right place.
I ended up deleting both the plugin, and Lightwave itself, wiping out all the folders, and removing all registry entries, then reinstalling.

My best guess is that there was some sort of conflict left over from the demo version I had installed, and wiping "everything" finally did the trick.

Also, to answer, the sale was not advertised because it was a one day only sale, and it's "voted on" so they don't know what is going up for sale until the night before the sale.

ABC

philipsavage
03-04-2007, 06:38 AM
While we're on the subject of Mimic, I have a question that has always bugged me.

The Mimic timeline always starts at 0, when you may want to start the lipsync at, say frame 100. You cannot ammend the start time in Mimc so, I either, add a blank area to the audio equal to where I want the lipsync to start or grab all the relevant morphs and bones and move them in the graph editor.

Is this how other users do it, or is there a better method?

BTW, as Mimic produces a key at every frame, I usually delete most of these otherwise it makes any editing in LW a nightmare.

JamesCurtis
03-04-2007, 05:41 PM
That's how I do it. Yeah I wish you could set a starting frame delay for it.

cresshead
03-04-2007, 05:43 PM
anyone want to share some mimic ready heads/characters?
[other than the alien!]

colkai
03-05-2007, 03:16 AM
Funnily enough Steve I was just chatting to someone about this. To really take benefit, the key thing will be the use of correctly set up heads, otherwise people may wonder why Mimic isn't doing what they think it should i'd wager.

JamesCurtis
03-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Forgot to mention that my avatar here used MimicPro for LW for dialog in my recent commercial for a company!! Worked rather well too, I might add!!

andywright
03-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Daz is holding a vote at the moment on bundles of their products that were sold cheap in the last sale, including mimic pro for Lightewave.

If enough people (platinum members) vote for bundle 2, you will get an opportunity to pick up Mimic pro for $20...a very good deal.

Voting is only going on this morning...so if you are already a member, vote, if you aren't you may consider it as this one deal would save over $240 on the normal price...worth a membership cost i think.:thumbsup:

The link for the vote for existing members is :

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewforum.php?f=3

to join you need first to go to :

http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/shop/catmain/-/?cat=4

Oh...and i DON'T work for Daz, just thought people may want to take up the opportunity :)

cresshead
03-07-2007, 03:24 AM
pushed a vote for bundle 2 for ya..though currently it's lowest votes with only 11%

dballesg
03-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Yeah I voted too but all the people is going for the bundle 7! :(

StereoMike
03-07-2007, 07:05 AM
What's bundle 7?
(obviously I missed this offer...)

mike

andywright
03-07-2007, 07:43 AM
What's bundle 7?
(obviously I missed this offer...)

mike

NO, bundle seven is in the bottom 50 items from the member votes (you can see the post for bundles 6-10 further down the members only forum):)

I think they will put 1 bundle from each group (1-5 and 6-10) on sale from waht i understand..unfortunately not likely to be bundle 2 which has mimic pro in it :thumbsdow

dballesg
03-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Now DAZ is selling the things they sold day by day as a bundle. Number 2 is the one with Mimic for LW, number 7 has other objects and apps on it.

cresshead
03-07-2007, 07:44 AM
hello!
these is no bundle 7...or 6!:)

Bundle One
Millennium Dragon 2.0
Castle Creator
3 Piece Suit for M3
Emeli for Laura
600 Pre-Teen Hand and Body Poses
International Beauties Maps and Morphs
Mitsu Hair for Aiko
Victoria 3.0 Head and Body Morphs
Sheer and Sexy Bundle for V3
Outlander Pack for V3

Bundle Two
Millennium Cat
Dark Elves Collection for David
David Head Morphs
High Elves: Riders of the Sun
Victoria 4 - Summer Fashion
Mimic Pro for LightWave
The Freak
Ishoka Style Hair
Lily Dress for A3
Celtic Archer

Bundle Three
Wyvern 2.0
the Girl
Victoria 3.0 Universal Texture Maps (Hi Res)
V3 and M3 Skeletons
Aiko 3.0 Morphs and Maps
V3 and SP Clothing Pack
David Body Morphs
Armond for Michael 3
FBX Plug-in for DAZ|Studio
Pumpkin Witch

Bundle Four
Dark Elves: The Slayers for Stephanie
Stephanie Petite 3.0 Head Morphs
Safari Bundle
Mech Girl for A3
High Elves: Warriors of the Forest for M3
Medieval Heroes 2: The Bard of David
Jasper for Michael 3
Millennium Dog Bundle
Victoria 3.0 Ultra Catsuit
Millennium Horse

Bundle Five
Stephanie Petite 3.0 Body Morphs
Hexagon 2.1
Mimic Lite
Michael 3.0 Head and Body Morphs
Michael 3.0 Universal Texture Maps (Hi Res)
Stormguards
Millennium Kids - Young Teens
Millennium Baby 3.0
Troll Rogue
Mech Upgrade for Mech Girl

bundle 5 has the most votes so far...i must say this is a great idea..letting the customers vote on their next promo!....maybe newtek will do the same for the freeby packin app with lw10 in the nr future!:thumbsup:

JamesCurtis
03-07-2007, 08:01 AM
As was stated before, the oyher bundles are in a seperate poll. This way two bundles will be available one from each group [I think].

andywright
03-07-2007, 08:51 AM
As was stated before, the oyher bundles are in a seperate poll. This way two bundles will be available one from each group [I think].

The other bundles are here in the bottom 50 poll..you can see them here :

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=54628

Sensei
03-08-2007, 12:08 AM
The other bundles are here in the bottom 50 poll..you can see them here :

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=54628

People have to be registered to see this.. I have just login website..