PDA

View Full Version : backdrop image wackiness

Johnny
06-18-2003, 07:43 PM
when I set backdrop image resolution at 1024, I end up getting what looks like my desktop as seen through partially-open mini-blinds...

at 512, I'm ok, though not as crisp as I'd like.

I don't *believe* that my backdrop image is too large: a jpg 600 pixels x 300 pixels set at best quality.

anyone else?

J

Beamtracer
06-18-2003, 10:21 PM
For a moment I thought you were talking about the Backdrop (compositing) in Layout, then after reading it again I realize it is the Modeler backdrop image.

OS 10.2 introduced some OpenGL weirdness. Maybe you should post a screen shot.

Johnny
06-19-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
...it is the Modeler backdrop image.

OS 10.2 introduced some OpenGL weirdness. Maybe you should post a screen shot.

Yes.. Modeler..sorry I wasn't clear.

wouldn't you know..it won't do it now that I'm trying to make a screen shot of it..it's working perfectly now!

I'll see if I can get it to do it again, but it does look as though you're seeing the desktop through partially-open miniblinds.

J

Johnny
06-19-2003, 08:26 AM
I resized my Modeler window, and that precipitated the 'mini-blind' effect I've been talking about, tho I have always gotten it in the past when loading my background image, and selecting 1024 as the Texture Resolution.

what you see in that noise is my desktop, only flipped and flopped, IOW, the icons you see at lower left are located at top right on my desktop...I use drag thing, and you can faintly see the green HUB icon there, Safari icon, Modeler icon.

what ought to be there (and IS there at lower resolutions) is nice blue line art of the shapes of the bottles I'm modeling. you can see the wireframe of an eye dropper that I've made so far.

Johnny

Johnny
06-19-2003, 08:33 AM
I resized my Modeler window, and that precipitated the 'mini-blind' effect I've been talking about, tho I have always gotten it in the past when loading my background image, and selecting 1024 as the Texture Resolution.

what you see in that noise is my desktop, only flipped and flopped, IOW, the icons you see at lower left are located at top right on my desktop...I use drag thing, and you can faintly see the green HUB icon there, Safari icon, Modeler icon.

what ought to be there (and IS there at lower resolutions) is nice blue line art of the shapes of the bottles I'm modeling. you can see the wireframe of an eye dropper that I've made so far.

Johnny

Johnny
06-19-2003, 08:39 AM

Johnny
http://home.earthlink.net/~zoomin/wot.jpg

Beamtracer
06-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Whoah!!! I've never seen anything like that before.

Did it only start doing this recently? Or you've only just started setting your backdrop images to high res?

The fact that it only does it when you up the resolution of the backdrop makes me think it could be a shortage of RAM, either the RAM on your machine, or the RAM on your graphics card.

paintboy
06-19-2003, 04:14 PM
i am with beam.....video card/OGL. what rez do you run the monitor at?
if your at higher than WYSIWYG for the 17 try dropping the mon. rez
and see if it still chokes?

Johnny
06-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by paintboy
i am with beam.....video card/OGL. what rez do you run the monitor at?
if your at higher than WYSIWYG for the 17 try dropping the mon. rez
and see if it still chokes?

OK..I think you guys have it about right..at the 17" resolution, no problem, but as soon as I go up to full resolution, I can scale my window only so far before I get what you saw in the image I posted.

I hope my next mac comes with more robust video capabilities...

thanks!

J