PDA

View Full Version : Magik's tribute to the forum ;)

::Magik::
02-19-2003, 03:37 PM
my 2 cents for this exelent forum!!

It's a character for a short I'm working on in my sparetime.
Modeling and rendering 100% done in Lightwave | 3d.
Used Sas* for the hair and some procedural textures for the skin.

cheers and allot of wavin ;)

Sas* :

Sasquatch...well I've got a technical problem with this...
what is it...In the scene where I'm going to put her in there
are reflective objects in the scene.. reflecting her head...
When reflecting only the geometric objects will be visible right?
So I'm getting a bold lady in a reflective object... How make
the hair visible in reflections???
anyone can help me out?

thnx

robpauza
02-20-2003, 12:03 AM
Hey Magik,

Unfortunately, Sas doesn't reflect in objects. You'll probably just have to use some sort of evil trickery. (like an environment map or something in the reflective objects)

Your model is coming along nicely BTW.

-Rob

devisor
02-20-2003, 12:55 AM
Like the look on her... can't help you with sas since I'm strugling with it my self..

DigiMatt
02-20-2003, 01:11 AM
Amazingly good model Magik!! :)

02-20-2003, 02:35 AM
thnx all for comment,

Maybe Im gonna render the model from 4 sides of her head with
hair then put the render as a texturemap or something on a geometric hairmesh or something like that maybe that's a solution.

o boy ....worley figure it out plz.... a update in G2 1.X?
make sasquatch visible in reflections ;)

btw. How did square pictures did that with the hair of Aki in Final Fantasy when she stands for the window in the spaceship?

ruud
02-20-2003, 05:34 AM
Well I don't know if I can answer to your last question, but Aki (and all the other characters) Were not rendered reflections, they rendered the characters from a mirroring camera and placed that footage on the window surface as a reflection....

I don't know if it was because of the hair renders but I do know that they did it because of the camera viewpoint not corresponding with the reflection angle...

Your female object looks great though... maybe pose and composite her something more interresting to look at...

Ruuterdetuuter :)

hrgiger
02-20-2003, 10:25 AM
Aki's hair was actual geometry that would show up in reflections where as Sas and Saslite is a post process effect that as far as the rest of the scene is concerned, isn't there.
Aki's hair was made up of 60,000 individual strands of hair and if I'm not mistaken, they wrote a special algorythm for it.

As far as your model, it's coming along pretty good. I just have a few crits.
The anatomy in the neck looks a little wierd. I think you're trying to show her sternocleidomastoid muscles but they don't seem to flow in the right direction.
Arms seem to be a bit undefined and the forearms seem a bit thin to me.
The skin texture is a good start but unfortunately, it's all to clear the the textures are procedural. If you're going for realism, you're going to want to overlay some image maps over top of the procedurals for bump, spec, diffuse, etc....
Good luck.

03-30-2003, 07:22 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhh I want to scream, curse, anything!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I wanted to deinstall the 7.5b patch gues what?..It deletes my whole F#$*kin dir of work [email protected]#$DAMN, HELL now i must start whole over again :(

I feel so sad why such a patch couse so much dammage
I m'n gonna be drunk tonight, cried whole out.. damn I feel so sick about it does someone have a remedy for such disaster?
(a little voice keeps whisper :make some backups make some backups make some backups)

Whell, know sniff, pfffft, sniff, got to work..... :(

devisor
03-30-2003, 08:37 AM
damn thats to bad... its not fun to lose all work :(

thats why I have my work outside Lw content folder.

have you tryed do se if you can resque your files with a undelete program?

hrgiger
03-30-2003, 09:01 AM
Yes, definately keep your work outside of the LW directory. I keep everything in a folder on my desktop called LW Project folder. Occassionally I like to re-install LW and it's just safer to keep my stuff outside of it all together.

Majik,

I don't know if this will help you or not but when I entered the LW Mascot project, right before I had accidentially deleted my object file/textures and destroyed about 2 weeks worth of off and on work. I bought a program called file recovery which lets you recover files that have been deleted from the recycle bin. I got my file back and breathed a major sigh of relief. I think I paid $50 for it but it was worth every penny because it's saved me a few times now.

robpauza
03-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Sorry Magik. :(

That sucks. My suggestion would be exactly that of hrgiger's. -Buy an undelete program. If possible, before you do anything else on your computer.

The way a hard drive works is after something is so called "deleted", it simply hides that/those file(s) and frees up the space it took so that another file can be saved in the same place on the hard drive. In other words... your files are still there until something new is saved in it's place. For the best possible recovery results, run the undelete program AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Then, store your files in an alternate directory outside of Lightwave like the others said. (I found out the hard way too, but luckily I made a backup of all my stuff before I re-installed LW, otherwise I'd be out drinking too.... and I don't even drink)

I'm confident that at worst you'll get, MOST of your files back, probably all if you act fast. Best of luck.

-Rob

03-30-2003, 10:16 AM
thnx guys you realy cheering me up right know!

I'm gonna buy that filerecovery program 4 sure it is worth
every buck i'm convinced at the amiga days i've allways had such programs but when i went to pc i've never seen such programs again could someone give me an app name?

Many Thnx,

MorituriMax
03-30-2003, 03:15 PM
I hear LW8 is going to be even more efficient, it will go and hunt for and delete all those bad old files made with anything earlier than v8... thankfully it will have a file converter for 7.5t to 8.0314159. Once you finish installing it, you can go back and... oh Shoot!

Lynx3d
03-30-2003, 04:12 PM
There are some freeware undelete/recovery programs out there...

just did a quick google search, and found something here:
http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.shtml
"PC Inspector File Recovery" sounds usefull...

riki
03-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Yeah I know the feeling I once lost about 3 months worth of work when my hard drive died. So I bought a second 120Gig External Firewire HD so that I can backup my whole system. I'm thinking of getting another to backup my backup.

MorituriMax
03-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Oh what a tangled web we weave.. a backup for a backup.. grin

backup 1

backup 2

04-07-2003, 03:15 PM
K, now it's time for her to show up again
in a three some ;)

A lot of the original has change no eye pupils yet,