PDA

View Full Version : 10,000rpm Hard Drives....

CaptCarty
03-01-2007, 08:19 AM
I was think about buying a 74GB 10,000rpm (SATA) WD Raptor HD from my local Comp store to run only LW on and wanted to know if i can expect any improvements over a 7500rpm HD, like render times,load times, and so forth? And if its worth the extra money?

-I also have a 320GB slave drive (7500rpm, SATA) I plan to "only" save my LW files to this drive, and possible use as my swap-disk.

-my OS is on a 250GB 7500rpm as well.

any feeback would be helpful, :)

StereoMike
03-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Raid 0?
Cheaper and you get way more space for the money.
I use mine to edit video or composite my render sequences. The actual project data (.lws or the specific safe files from the comp package) are on another drive (to be on the safe side). The final comp'ed and edited file will also be mirrored.

mike

mike

Bytehawk
03-01-2007, 08:53 AM
i 've got a 10.000 rpm drive as a system disk. You do get better performance launching programs, windows and so on. If I'd have to put together a new system, I 'd choose one for my system drive for sure !

iconoclasty
03-01-2007, 09:43 AM
I've also got a raptor for my system drive and I've been quite happy with it. Then I spread the rest of my stuff across a few other standard drives to speed things up a little.

prospector
03-01-2007, 09:53 AM
I found:
OS loads a bit faster
no help for LW, objects *may* load faster,but LW still has to do it's thing to polys and such before loading, so speed is insignificant.

HOWEVER :hey:

I have 4 of them in raid array for the VT and because of the 4 ms seektimes, I am on par with scsi, and getting 267 MB/s transfer rate with the VT4.

So if you end up doing any video with the anims....go for them.

creativecontrol
03-01-2007, 10:06 AM
I have a 10K for a system drive and a 15K for a programs drive. I just love the 15K! No help in rendering but loading dogs like photoshop and indesign is very nice.

You can get a 15K RPM drive off ebay for pretty decent prices (they are too expensive new) but the downside is they're SCSI which is a pain. I've done it several times but just make sure the drive you buy is still on warrenty (most seagates have a 5 year warrenty as long as they're not OEM for dell or something). I have to say the 15K makes a huge difference in the overall feel of the computer, I love it.

The only problem I've run into so far is that the Adaptec Ultra160 doesn't have 64bit drivers! Crazy!!! I hate Adaptec sometimes!

Sorry, that's probably more info than you were looking for...

creativecontrol
03-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Raid 0?
Cheaper and you get way more space for the money.
mike

With Raid 0 you do get better transfer rates but the seek time is not any better. Loading programs and OS activity is usually a lot of very small files where seek time is what counts the most.

CaptCarty
03-01-2007, 12:19 PM
ok, little confused now, :(

-so I would be better off using a 10k HD for my OS, and Adobe stuff, rather then for LW only?

*forgot to mention, i dont really do any Video edit stuff. more of a LW hobbiest.

mattclary
03-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Personally, I would put the money elsewhere. I have a WD SATA 160GB drive (7200rpm) and I don't feel like my OS or programs load slowly. I'm sure I could tell a difference if I had a faster drive, but dont feel the speed gain is worth the money and small capacity.

I would go with StereoMike's suggestion if drive speed is something you feel you must have. From the sounds of it, I think you feel this will make LW faster somehow, and other than loading, that just isn't going to happen.

WIth the OpenGL improvements in 9.2, maybe consider a new video card? Or a new processor?

kilvano
03-01-2007, 12:34 PM
RAID0 2 x 300Gb hard drives for the same price as som eof those Raptors.

You do get a performance boost but if one of the drives fails then you are in trouble.

mattclary
03-01-2007, 12:36 PM
RAID0 2 x 300Gb hard drives for the same price as som eof those Raptors.

You do get a performance boost but if one of the drives fails then you are in trouble.

With 300GB of space, you could do RAID5 and get the best of all worlds; speed, parity, and space.

kilvano
03-01-2007, 12:38 PM
True. The 7200 Seagates are quiet and reliable.
The raptors have a higher risk of failure.

mattclary
03-01-2007, 12:44 PM
I just bought a 320GB Seagate for ~$90 as data storage.

creativecontrol
03-01-2007, 03:46 PM
ok, little confused now, :(

-so I would be better off using a 10k HD for my OS, and Adobe stuff, rather then for LW only?

*forgot to mention, i dont really do any Video edit stuff. more of a LW hobbiest.

Yes, I would say so. 10K for OS and programs, other larger drive for data works well.