PDA

View Full Version : From 7 to 9

VTA
03-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Hello,
I'm mostly familiar with Lightwave 7.0 and the company I work for just bought me v.9.

Very nice software and I can't wait to buy a copy for myself at home, but I do have a few questions... Not having gone in the update increments, there are some things in 9 that I don't understand.

I've checked the 'what's new' area and I don't see them mentioned. Most notably, the Antialiasing for the camera. There is a long list of options and I have no idea what they mean(PLD passes?). And what is the reconstruction filter?

Of course I don't expect anyone to just make a list of these things, maybe just point me to a link that might explain these things. The version of Lightwave purchased didn't come with a manual.

Thanks for any suggestions.
-Vincent

dwburman
03-01-2007, 07:37 AM
If you hit F1 it'll bring up the online help thing. You can search for terms in there.

There may already be a manual in .PDF form in the documents folder of your lightwave install... or on the Lightwave 9 CD/DVD

If it isn't in either of these places you can download it from the my downloads section of http://register.newtek.com/ - if you can log in.

dwburman
03-01-2007, 07:49 AM
To answer your questions...

from the online help...

Pixel Lattice Deformation

When an image render begins the antialiasing process, a determination must be made as to what type of samples will be taken and how long antialiasing sampling will occur. The new form of render pass for LightWave is the Pixel Lattice Deformation, or PLD.

PLD takes information about how the edges in the scene fall onto the lattice of output pixels. The pixel lattice is then deformed and realigned to best represent the underlying geometry. This generally helps with edges in images and textures. One limit to this method is that it cannot reconstruct details that have not been sampled at all, such as highly undersampled data. The advantage gained with PLD is that it gives you an image with some level of antialiasing without the need for extra samples being taken.

Compared to the “Classic” modes:

Low and Enhanced Low: 5 passes

Medium and Enhanced Medium: 9 Passes

High and Enhanced High: 17 Passes

Extreme and Enhanced Extreme: 33 Passes

The Classic modes have five levels of antialiasing from None to Extreme. These levels are then subdivided into two: normal and enhanced antialiasing. Enhanced will usually give a better effect for a given level of antialiasing because it uses almost twice as many samples for each pixel and filters them more intelligently, giving a better result at an additional cost in rendering time.

The AA system has changed again in 9.2 so you'll have more to adapt to when it's released (soon).

Reconstruction Filters

In addition to these significant changes to the raw antialiasing engine, the LightWave 3D renderer now includes a full implementation of reconstruction filters. These filters determine how the rendering data is combined into a final image at a sub-pixel level in order to produce a final image. Reconstruction filters have been a subject of research over many years and the names of these filters are often derived from the research that led to their development.

VTA
03-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Thank you Dana for the help and the link, I'm downloading the manuals now.
-Vincent

Exception
03-01-2007, 08:16 AM
The AA system in 9.2 might seem confusing to you at first, but you'll get the hang of it soon enough.
just an early warning here.

By the way, if 9.2 comes out, I'd certainly upgrade immediately. It's so much faster, there are so many bug fixes, and such a truckload of amazing new features...

VTA
03-01-2007, 08:28 AM
The AA system in 9.2 might seem confusing to you at first, but you'll get the hang of it soon enough.
just an early warning here.

By the way, if 9.2 comes out, I'd certainly upgrade immediately. It's so much faster, there are so many bug fixes, and such a truckload of amazing new features...

Alot seems confusing really:D
But that's fine, I have no problem with needing to learn.

My basic need for lightwave is still images and I haven't come across any problems or bugs yet. Most likely because I'm not an in depth user and still haven't figured out how to get the most out of Lightwave.

The features in this one seems like alot, I can't imagine what more can be added.

Thanks for the suggestion.
-Vincent