PDA

View Full Version : PFX trouble! stop FXlinked particles from spinning?

HowardM
06-18-2003, 07:01 PM
Anyone know how to get FXlinked particles to stop spinning once they bounce and come to a stop on a floor collision obj?

Anyone know if you can spin particles using wind somehow?
It seems you cant spin a dot, so FXlinker is faking it....

I am making popcorn bounce off the floor and come to a stop....as of now they land and spin violently even though the particles have stopped moving completely....
once again this seems like there is a simple answer, I just cant see it right now! :(

hopefully you all can!
:)

rapscallion
06-19-2003, 03:33 AM
Hey...Hi...I think I can help you out with this one, but I'm just taking a stab in the dark 'cuz I'm not exactly sure what you mean...so I guess the thing to do is double check your settings on your particle emitter to be sure you only have the Y channel active on the motion tab (-9.81 is the setting for real world gravity, but much lower settings of 2 or 3 usually make for more readable animations), then go to your collision object and make sure it is set to bounce, but then tinker with the Friction and Fix settings...you'll notice that higher settings result in less repitition of the bounces and a the particles will end up essentially glued in place to the collision object....also be sure that you always run the particle simulations from your FX_Browser as opposed to just hitting the play button in layout 'cuz layout doesn't calculate all the minutia without using FX_Browser...

...so will that do? try it out...Friction and Fix to stop those crazy dancing particles...good luck...wishing the best...from the void...j.p.rapscallion...

rapscallion
06-19-2003, 03:38 AM
hey...hi...me again...I forgot to address your Wind question...the answer is absolutely! Just add a wind effector, set the type to rotation or vortex , blend mode to add, then select your falloff mode (with no falloff all particles in the scene regardless of placement will feel the force of your wind) and now its tornado time...hit start on the FX_Browser and watch the interaction...if you need to revise the radius or falloff settings, do so, but that is more or less the gyst...

...so have fun...don't get too dizzy...wishing the best...from the void...j.p.r...

Bytehawk
06-19-2003, 03:48 AM
do the particles have :
weight
size
resistance

if you use some forms of wind or colision you need to 'start' calculations in the pfx browser

tried it myself, my particles don't rotate afterwards
just an emiter, colision plane, gravity and fx linker with a cube, no rotation whatsoever after impact

divx anim here : link (http://users.skynet.be/bytehawk/boom.avi)

HowardM
06-19-2003, 10:25 AM
thanks Byte...I got that working using Alignhp, but I would like them to spin around, not just align, so if I set a random rotation in the lower panels of FXlinker the particles just keep spinning once the partciles stop bouncing...too bad we cant tell linker to stop the random spin when the particles stop...I think you can if they die, but I dont want them to die...just stop.
I havent played enough with the start and end behaviors but the manual says you can at least have a particle dissolve out or go back to its original position...i think these are not answers though, because the objects will most likely spin then pop back to their original positions...
Im going to have to fake it, basically with a 2nd emitter/obj set that either goes through the floor or bounces off camera.

thanks too raps, but I already had ALL that set correctly where my particles bounce and stop...and wind WONT spin an particle/object, it will move and rotate it around by the wind, but wont make the particle spin around its center axis...unless im doing something wrong?

Thanks all!

Bytehawk
06-19-2003, 05:59 PM
remember you can animate the particle object first - like spin it, shrink it enlarge it etc. over time.

When you use fx linker set time shift to start shift

if you want more random movement animate a few particle objects with different rotation and use fxlinker for every object you animated

HowardM
06-20-2003, 04:01 PM
but can i easily tell them to stop spinning or slow down and stop when they stop bouncing? I cant manually envelope a spinning object because they dont all fall to the floor at the same time!
if only there were a gradient for the rotation of FXlinked objects!
so once they hit a certain height (floor) they slow down!
i bet theres a trick somehow!
i dont know expressions!

hmmm, is there a way to make an object spin using a gradient, based on its height, THEN fxlink and it will work!?

evolross
04-09-2010, 03:07 AM
Seven years later, I have this very same issue. I need FX Linker objects on a particle emitter to stop spinning once they collide. I'm sure there's a way now with the DP Particle Scan Node.