PDA

View Full Version : Best method for multiple cameras

perkley
02-27-2007, 03:46 PM
I remember hearing about features either in VT or SE that allowed you to use a certain key to quickly do an in and out point while playing audio.

Let me explain what I am trying to do and perhaps you could give me some tips on how to edit this in Speed Edit.

I have a multi camera shoot. What I want to do is edit all the cameras together.

The fastest way to me seems like to take the main camera and edit when I want it to play that camera, then fill in with the other cameras. I know final cut has an option to do multi camera and choose the camera you want just as if you were recording live.

Ok, so what does speed edit offer to help me do this task, or will I better off with a timeline editor?

I will point out that I am new at Speed Edit and have not read the entire manual, so it could be simple options that I just don't know about yet, so give even the simplest suggestions if you have them.

ScorpioProd
02-27-2007, 09:49 PM
You need Bob Tasa's MCE (Multi-Cam Editor) plug-in for SpeedEDIT.

It should be for sale as of this weekend. Check out www.bobfx.com.

perkley
02-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Great, that looks like a good product. I would like to know though, how would you go about doing this directly in SE. I am trying to learn the tips and tricks of the product and I don't see a real easy way to edit, it seems faster in Vegas (without buying additional plug-ins) for a project like this.

ScorpioProd
02-28-2007, 02:29 PM
I use Vegas, too, and I don't see an easier way to do this in Vegas unless you have the MCE plug-in for Vegas, either the VASST Ultimate S 2.0 one or the Excalibur one.

So again, for MCE work, you need a plug-in for VT[4], SE, or Vegas 7, to do it easily.

Only EDIUS 4, FCP and Avid have MCE features built-in.

That said, all you would do to do it manually in SpeedEDIT would be to synchronize up your two tracks on the timeline, set both tracks to PIPs so you can see them. Then scrub or play along and CUT whereever you want to change cameras. Then delete the pieces you don't want leaving the camera you want. Then use the toolshed to reset the PIPs on all of the clips when you're done.

That's it, but I assure you a MCE plug-in is a lot quicker and easier, doing it without one will take the speed out of SpeedEDIT.

wvp
03-01-2007, 11:53 AM
We edit music videos with 8-12 cameras or angles. In this case the plug-in/our computer has not been able to handle it smooth enough.
What we do is this:
1. Colorize the clips in the file bin (i.e. red=primary, blue=wide, green=close or whatever)
1. drop all the clips on the timeline & sync them (use markers on audio & video so you can see if they fall out of sync).
2. put the audio track(s) at the top & disable the audio for all the video tracks.
3. drag the in points to the right and then selectively drag the inpoint back for the clip you want to use.
4. cut at the out & drag the remaining clips inpoint out of the way to the right side again.
Sounds more difficult than it really is. You can also do local scrubs of clips, but I need to play real time & don't want to listen to the whole clip.
FWIW, we have never used the multicam in FCP either.

Bobt
03-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Jeff,

I can do up to nine and in SE I with background rendering I think you will
find things playback much better. Even with all those clips.

You should try the demo.

Bob

Chrysolithos
01-20-2008, 02:04 PM
So why hasn't Aussie, who made multi-cam editing for the flyer, (back before he worked for NewTek) made multi-cam for Speed-edit? I'm tired of rebuying the same plugins for newer versions of NewTek products. Is multi-cam editing just so way down on the list that we have to buy it from third-party? (Like hair and fur for LW.)

Kurt_Henning
01-25-2008, 07:53 AM
I love nostalgia. I loved editing on the Flyer, but those days are gone.

Michael "Aussie" Holten is still around. He still works at Newtek. The folder in VT that is Oztools, is the foundation of the ToolShed. So, his fingerprints are in there somewhere.

Bob Tasa has made the only Multicam editor for the VT or SE. That's a fact, and has been for about 5 years. FIVE.

Bob's plugs are not free, but compared to a MCE plug for Vegas, Bob's comes in at about 50% less than the competition. And in Bob's you can cut between 9 feeds.

I have used Bob's MCE for VT and SE. I have edited in the neighborhood of 100+ projects. The proof is in all the completed edits.

If I chose to wait for Aussie for a MCE editing solution, that day may never come. I have not heard of any announcements. The last time I had read a thread about MCE being bundled in VT was before VT3. If I was still waiting, I would have missed a lot of opportunity to edit. Bob has had a product availble for five years. If you are waiting on Aussie, are you prepared to wait 5 more years? I can't see the future, but I don't see him making a MCE plugin, he would have done it by now IMHO.

Bob has solutions for things that are not simple to do in the VT or SE Environment.

Time is money. Plugins cost money, but save time. Something has to give to make money.

Bob's MCE for VT and SE has saved me lots of time in post. And the further benefit is that if I do post a project like this, it appears to be a perfect live switch, which is impossible.

Bob works very hard to make products that people request. That is why that sometimes I am baffled by how difficult some users make editing on themselves.

Here is a primeexample. From the days of the Amiga, we had "Left Amiga key + F" for what? A fade. Now we have alt-f.

Can you imagine how much of your editing career would have been spent clicking in a bin, finding the fade, drag and drop the fade, etc, all of which have been replaced by a "hotkey"

I don't know how many times you use fades. But I use them a lot. I know that I owe Aussie a big thanks for this. Also, we all have him to thank for the "inherit" command. That is unique and very powerful.

Even though I respect Aussies work, as an editor and an engineer, I need tools in 2008. I need to edit today. I could wait and see if Aussie decides to recreate an incarnation of his Co-Pilot for Audio and Video, but instead, I use Bob's plugins.

You can even take a test drive and see if they suit your needs.

www.bobfx.com

There are even video tutorials to get you up and running in multicam in about 10-15 minutes.

SBowie
01-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Suppose a company thought a third-party developer had done a pretty fair job of a plugin. Suppose there weren't really all that many third-party developers in their market, too. Suppose they had to decide whether or not to kill sales for one of his most popular products by stepping on it, and that doing so would divert significant time from other priorities.

Realistically, I don't suppose any company would deliberately feature-limit their product to help out an outsider ... but they might think the need for an integrated solution was not all that urgent in the face of an existing one (and especially one in the hands of a well-liked developer.) One might suppose this could mean the item might continually degrade in priority on the wishlist.

Certainly, such a supposition would run counter to common practice in the industry, and even specific examples we could all name here ... on the other hand, I'm just musing aloud, stating nothing at all really.

bbeanan
01-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Bob's plug-ins all kick butt... I did a 9 camera HD video edit with no problems in just about real time. Worth every last penny, even if I had to re-buy it for EVERY last project it would still be worth it.

rs402931
01-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Steve,

I totally agree with your "nothing" statement...... LOL :)

I surely would rather have NewTek spending their time, enhancing/adding new features/fixing bugs....rather than taking time away from that to work on something that is already available (such as Bob's Multicam), which works great and would be hard to improve on.

OK that said..... NewTek lets get VER 2.0 out ! :D

SBowie
01-25-2008, 09:51 AM
I totally agree with your "nothing" statement...... Probably entirely wrong, business is not normally an exercise in altruism, but maybe in a better world ... anyway, just pointless speculation. So - how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

KSTAR
01-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Bob's plug-ins all kick butt... I did a 9 camera HD video edit with no problems in just about real time. Worth every last penny, even if I had to re-buy it for EVERY last project it would still be worth it.

I agree with your point, but not to confuse new users. You don't have to re-buy Bobs plugins. There was an upgrade price to go from VTedit to SE which would be expected. They are entirely different programs, but as SE has gone through new versions, Bobs upgrades have been free

doc debolt
01-26-2008, 11:54 PM
i have been doing a lot of multicam type edits lately -

my process is this -
sync up all cams to main audio clip
layer them into the timeline
play the video(or scrub) till my cut to the next cam - select the file/layer that i want to cut to, click on it - hit the Z key - performs a cut at wherever the scrub bar is.....lather, rinse, repeat.

=)

this has been the quickest and easiest method for me so far -

doc

SBowie
01-27-2008, 06:57 AM
select the file/layer that i want to cut to, click on it - hit the Z key ...As clip lengths can sometimes vary more than one would like, another variant is to us a full-project-length 'dummy' clip as the 'cut track', and use Shift+c (which cuts all layers at once) - then delete the chunks of unwanted layers at a given point.

CreatvGnius
01-27-2008, 11:09 AM
As clip lengths can sometimes vary more than one would like, another variant is to us a full-project-length 'dummy' clip as the 'cut track', and use Shift+c (which cuts all layers at once) - then delete the chunks of unwanted layers at a given point.

Hi, Steve.
1. What element to you drag into the timeline, in order to create a "dummy clip" (do you simply employ a black colored still)?

2. What particular advantage or function does a "Dummy Clip 'Cut Track' offer the user? -- I'm not sure I understand what that track actually does, in your explanation above: I do perceive it gets cut up along its length, along with other clips above it -- but why is it there to begin with?

Thanks in advance!
-PeterG

ted
01-27-2008, 06:49 PM
We sometimes utilize a black clip for a placeholder or marker. Easy to distinguish for removal.
The key would be to place it on the top track, as SE displays the bottom layer priority. Or you could take the alpha down to zero on the black clip if you need it below other clips.

CreatvGnius
01-28-2008, 09:22 AM
We sometimes utilize a black clip for a placeholder or marker. Easy to distinguish for removal.
The key would be to place it on the top track, as SE displays the bottom layer priority. Or you could take the alpha down to zero on the black clip if you need it below other clips.

OK, Thanks Ted. I can see that: a visual "placeholder".

But in the case Steve referenced above, I'm having difficulty imagining that cutting up a black clip would be of any practical use. Steve? You there?

Adam_LightPlay
02-05-2008, 12:15 AM
There was an upgrade price to go from VTedit to SE which would be expected. They are entirely different programs, but as SE has gone through new versions, Bobs upgrades have been free

Maybe they are "entirely different" when it comes to MultiCam Plug-ins. However I was recently delighted when some of Eric Pratt's Hat Trick DVE's for the VT[3], loaded right into Speed Edit and into VT[5] without a hitch.