PDA

View Full Version : Live video stream from desktop

Thomas M.
02-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I read in another post about a way to capture the screen for tutorial videos. But as I'm currently working on a project with somebody in a country far, far away, I wonder if he can mirror on his screen a stream captured from my screen. It would be so easy to talk about stuff if one could interactively change stuff together.

Anybody an idea?

Cheers
Thomas

Silkrooster
02-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Sure can, some ways are easier than others.
1)Use an instant messager and share your desktop. - This will be fairly slow as it is dependent on the server the IM is using.
2)Use a java sharing program - Several are available - This is faster and is a direct link to the other computer. There are different versions ranging from just a viewer to full access to the other system.
3)Use Windows remote sharing - This can be insecure as you have direct access to the other computer. - This may be quite slow.
Both 2 and 3 does allow the viewer to disconnect should it be required.

http://www.uvnc.com/index.html - A Java Based Virtual Network Connection
Silk

Thomas M.
02-28-2007, 03:03 AM
Thanks,

I'll have a look at this software. Only issue could be that I'm working on a PC, while he would receice the signal on a Mac. But it sounds interesting.

Cheers
Thomas

Silkrooster
02-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Java is suppose to be compatable with all platforms. Also I found that Macs can have remote sharing as well, but I do not know if it is compatable with pc's.
Silk

The Wizzard
03-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Not sure if you've sourced and sorted this yet but...

When i want to provide tech support to PPL, need to see what they are doing or, they need to follow my instructions. I use a FREE program called Unyte: http://www.unyte.net/

Works well with Skype (VOIP) and will work with all OS as it sends video to a web browser window.... user gets a URL to click on and veiw

You can even choose weather to share entire desktop of indivual windows (Program fronts)