PDA

View Full Version : SpeedEDIT tutorial - Glowing text

Paul Lara
02-27-2007, 09:37 AM
We've posted a tutorial on how to create glowing text, and then save it for easy recall:

http://www.newtek.com/speededit/tutorials/index.php

Do you have any ideas you'd like to see in a SpeedEDIT tutorial?
If so, please e-mail them ([email protected])to me with TUTORIAL in the subject header.

ziffman76
02-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Paul,

Yeah, I'd like to know how to create my own custom Motion CG's in Speed edit. The ones that come with it are great but what if, for instance, I wanted to do a football game and use the templates that come with speed edit. But I wanted to use the teams colors in the motion template, so instead of black and red, I wanted green and brown or something like that. How would I change that. I have tried but the CG gets all screwed up or doesn't look quite right, am I doing something wrong. Thanks for your help in advance.

:help:

joseburgos
03-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Changing colors should not give you a problem.
You should be doing this in the control tree and when you are finished, DO NOT MAKE A TOOL SHED PRESET of the changes.
There is still a problem with Tool Shed and the CG effect and this may be your problem.

So excuse me if you know this and I already answered your question (becasue you where using the tool shed) but here is how you would do it;
01) Load the motion template
02) Click on the control tree tab.
03) Look in the branches for the TEXT [Title goes here] section of the control tree you want to change color on.
04) Expand the branch by clicking on the plus symbol and then expand the color branch.
05) Change the value of the Red, Green and Blue (alpha if you need to as well) to get the color you want.
06) in the output window and the title compose section of the control tree, you should see your results.
07) Follow steps 4 and 5 for any other branches of text you want to change the color.
08) When you are finished, change to the story board view and then drag your new color CG into the same folder as the original motion template or make a new folder.
09) You now have a new template of the motion graphic with the colors you desire.

Take care,

ziffman76
03-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Jose,

I appreciate the suggestion, but have you been able to get that to work. I load the football motion template in and open the control tree. First thing I notice is under the color for the text, it is already turned up to 255 for all colors. Adjusting them does nothing. Also the red part of the lower third, I have tried to change to say green, it won't change no matter how much I adjust the color. Am I doing something wrong, is there a button I need to click first? Thanks again.

joseburgos
03-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Weird because if you adjust the colors, the title should change color with it.
Can you do a screen capture so we can make sure your in the right place?

ziffman76
03-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Here is a screen shot, I circled the area I was trying to adjust.

ziffman76
03-05-2007, 09:39 AM
actually now that I play around with it more, I can get the text to change color, so thanks. But I guess what I really want to change is the red filled rectangle. When changing the dials on that it doesn't seem to affect it.

joseburgos
03-05-2007, 09:42 AM
And when you change these setting, the color on the title does not change?

Using the slider or manualy typing the values in?

billmi
03-06-2007, 06:17 AM
actually now that I play around with it more, I can get the text to change color, so thanks. But I guess what I really want to change is the red filled rectangle. When changing the dials on that it doesn't seem to affect it.

That red rectangle looks like it has a gradient to it on the alpha channel. If it does, it is most likely not a red box made in CG, but rather a .png file created in a graphics application and then applied to the CG page. It that is the case, you'd need to create a graphic box the color you wanted, with the varying transparency levels you wanted in a graphics package like Aura or Photoshop, and save it ias a 32 bit .png file, then bring it into the CG.

By the way, nice tutorial Jose.

joseburgos
03-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks Bill.

Ziff,
Click on the color tab (see image attached).
Then select the red rectangle.
Now click on the red gradient which will open the gradient editor.
There are three handles on this gradient so start with the middle one by selecting it and then the small color box below it (It changed from black to a transparent red when you selected the middle handle).
This will open the normal color editor.
First thing to note is the alpha value is 234. Write it down or just remeber it because when you pick a new color here, the alpha will goto 255.
So after you select a new color, change the alpha back to 234 (Unless you want it to look different).
Click close and do the same for the two other gradient handles.
If you want to re-use this gradient, just click on Add Preset in the gradient editor.
That is it, you can now change the colors in the rectangles.
FYI:This advance color change works for all the CG layers except a image layer.

Bill and Ziff,
Could you both try something for me?
Load the footaball motion title.
Go into the color tab and select the red rectangle.
It defaults to character color changes.
Without doing anything else, change it from character to Selection.
Does SE quit/exit?

Take care,

Verlon
03-06-2007, 04:20 PM
It just seems wierd that the tutorial isn't in some kind of video format.....considering the product and all :)

ziffman76
03-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Jose,

Thank you very much for the tutorial, it worked great, I was able to change the color just fine. I tried what you said to do and yes it did crash SE. Must be a bug.
Also, one last tweak to the Football motion template. Don't know if you have any ideas on this but you have been very helpful so far. I want to find a way to replace the football picture and still have it fly onto the screen the same way it does.
Thanks again for your help.

:thumbsup:

Ivan
03-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Jsut played with CG a little tonight on the Football template. Here are some things that I discovered. If you change the setting in Control tree for the red rectangle they do not appear to take until you open the color picker. If you want to change the order, you can bring things from the back to the front by Cutting and Pasting but you cannot move them back or bring them forward a layer at a time.

Ivan

joseburgos
03-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Ziff,
Study the Size and position of the image layer.
You will see that the image is 1919x401 in size and that the image is animated only on the Y axis.
Write down the size and X position.
Now create an image the same size, if you want exact same movement and save it as a PNG file so that the transparency is with the file.
That is if you are going for the same look of the football image which has a fade on the top portion of the image.
Now in SE make sure the image is selected and goto the splines tab.
It should be blank so click the enable view box next to the Y value to view the Y keyframes.
Click once in the slpine window away from all the keyframes to deselect all.
Now drag the left mouse button over all the keyframes to make sure all are selected (you could have just pressed CTRL+A to select all but I am showing you the drag mouse select way for future selection of just a few frames if you need to).
CTRL+C to copy the keyframes.
DELETE to delete the image from the CG tree.
Drag your new image into to CG window.
Change the X position value to the one you wrote down.
Enable the Y spline view and in the Spline editor right click the mouse and select paste.
All that is left is for you to move the layer up or down in the tree using the Depth buttons to your satisfaction.
Once you are done, remember to drag the CG icon to a folder for re-use on another project.

Take care,

Ivan
03-07-2007, 10:28 AM
All that is left is for you to move the layer up or down in the tree using the Depth buttons to your satisfaction

Are you saying that you can arrange the order front to back in CGPost? Where did I miss this?

Thanks,

Ivan

joseburgos
03-07-2007, 12:53 PM
With any portion of the CG selected, use the Depth left and right buttons to do exactly that.

KiloWatkins
03-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Newtek time seems to be un Spring ahead, fwiw. Just trying a new DSL connection, Gmail very iffy to load.

fwiw

Danic101
03-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Kilo what does that have to do with anything. Why are you adding to the noise here.

Tim Johnson
03-13-2007, 08:03 AM
The CG templates were designed to get you up and running. The animated elements are pretty simple--you can do a lot more in there than this. (I was amazed at some of the controls that are in the page and layer properties, and how quick they rendered.)

I'm glad they are getting some use. Let me know if you are looking for more.

Petz
03-16-2007, 06:11 AM
I can't find the motion-templates you are talking about. My speededit-directories (boxed version) have only one templates-folder with still-images. Are these motion-templates only available in the download-version?

Thanks!
Robert