PDA

View Full Version : anyone know of sculpting app that....

jin choung
02-27-2007, 03:54 AM
allows you to paint a "protection mask" around geometry that you do not want to be affected by your sculpt brush?

other than zbrush that is?

mudbox? silo? blender? hex2? anyone?

it's such a great idea but i don't know any other sculpt app that does it... am i ill informed? hope so....

thanks.

jin

pixelranger
02-27-2007, 04:48 AM
Mudbox lets you do this in at least two easy ways (one using layer mask and the other using the freeze brush)

beverins
02-27-2007, 08:25 AM
If you feel like spending anywhere from $700 (for student edition) to $2000 there is CLAYTOOLS from www.sensable.com. Also includes a HAPTIC interface, the Phantom Omni Basic.

Claytools is comparable to Mudbox, though I'll be the first one to admit that Sensable.com are not really interested in software development. The software hasn't been bugfixed since its release, unlike Mudbox which undergoes constant development. Although, in my usage (using only the sculpting tools, and none of the advanced features) I haven't experienced a bug yet.

But to answer your question, Claytools does have that feature. You can paint on the object and prevent modification of areas of geometry.

ScottSullivan
02-27-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm 90% sure that modo can do that as well. In fact, I recently saw a video tutorial recently that they sculped wrinkles and bone shapes on a head using masks.

I'll try and find that link.

Scott

cresshead
02-27-2007, 09:24 AM
i thought that m*d*'s sculpting abilities were not ready for release as yet?..i've only seen a tech video demo of ''future capabilites''

Yog
02-28-2007, 06:30 AM
One of the things I like about Mudbox is it's ability to bring in multiple meshes and then be able to lock all but the one you want to work on, i.e. lock the eyes and teeth, and just sculpt the face.

Another nice feature is to be able to apply masks to layers, meaning that you can sculpt a large area using more than one layer, then erase just parts of any of the layers without effecting the base mesh.

And yep, the Modo sculpting tools aren't on general release yet.

Hafrala
02-28-2007, 02:30 PM
For the budget minded, Amorphium 3 from Electric Image (eitechnologygroup.com) is a nifty little poorman's zBrush/Mudbox without the higher learning curve. It will mask and import/export the .lwo format. Give the 30-day Demo a try.

ScottSullivan
03-01-2007, 07:53 AM
I know you were asking of other aps (instead of ZBrush) but thought it would be useful to mention the news:

ZBrush 3 has been announced. I watched their video and it looks pretty slick. From the video, it looks like quite an upgrade. Here's the link to the thread, which has a link to the video.

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=42491

Scott

cresshead
03-01-2007, 07:55 AM
z brush 3:-

1.''capable of handling 1 billion polys''....that got my attention where other mud encrusted modelers boast 5 million....which lags behind now by 995million!

2.multiple meshes...yeah ZB3 does dat!...

3."protection painting''....ohh err got my vote!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgTBinucsfc

ScottSullivan
03-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Well, turns out I was wrong in my post about modo's sculpting abilities and the video I saw.

Turns out I'm a liar. :(

I found said video and it was planted firmly on ZBrush's homepage. So I was thinking ZBrush all along. Sorry everyone.

However, what with these advances, turns out I'll be buying a copy of ZBrush.