PDA

View Full Version : Fprime - those elusive level 1 sparkles

JGary
02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
For a current work project, I'm rendering a monster character using Fprime. This guy needs to look wet and I actually like how my specular highlights look when rendered with Fprime at level 1 (see 1 of attached image). This low level gives his skin this nice sparkly look. As the render refines to level 30 my specular highlights start to look like white paint on his skin (see 2). After compositing in After Effects the skin does look a lot better (see3) especially when viewed as a anim, however I still miss that look I had at level 1. Obviously, using level 1 is a not an option since motion blur wouldn't work and there's just too much pixelation. So, I'm looking for any pointers on how to achieve that kind of shimmering effect on my skin surface.

Thanks for any help,
Jgary

toby
02-26-2007, 11:33 PM
I think the wet look can be attributed to the intensity and sharpness of the highlights, both of which get dulled with aa. Try cloning the light that gives you the spec, and turn off it's diffuse, then you can add spec to the level you want.

The sparkly stuff is what happens when your white values are well above 100%, and won't anti-alias. But this is what you want in this case, so adding an extra 100% spec intensity might do it.

Smashingly gruesome character by the way!

JGary
02-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to give that a try. I might also try rendering the full level 30 render with the specularity turned down low, then a level 1 render that I would layer on the level 30 render in After Effects using a blend mode (maybe Lighten).

Thanks for the monster praise as well!