PDA

View Full Version : Cloth/Armor Modeled or Painted?

Lorigosolo
02-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi guys! Need some insights and C&C are welcome! ;)

I still need to work in the texture, but before i do that i need some help with Game modeling related topic! :help:

Need help with the Cloth and armor! Donīt know if the way to go is paint them and apply to the character, use geometry to make the cloth/armor over the body of this character (like you do when modeling for highpoly models), model only the parts that sticks out or are mobile (like shoulder pads, etc) and paint a texture using the base character body? How do the Pros do it? (Guild Wars, WoW, etc) Do they change the entire model or use props with textures changes? :confused: :confused: :confused:

This is the scenario:

Letīs say that this character is made for a MMORPG, now this texture and body is the one you begin with, than you bought a farmer cloth with boots [The boots should be modeled over the foot of the character, only model the upper part of the boot, or paint the boot into the texture?]. Then after you killed some chickens, stole some cakes and drinked a lot of Ale, you got the money to buy a real armor, all shinny and stuff! [The armor should be half painted to the texture of the model and the other mobile parts modeled, all painted or i should have 2 models, one like this one (attached) and other model with the armor modeled into the body, so the engine switch between the two models when I put on the armor? Or I should have the "props" of the armor modeled and when the player puts on the armor, the only thing the engine does is to bring the "props" (shoulder pads, boots, etc) and change the textures of the base character to the armor texture?]

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Lamont
02-26-2007, 11:28 AM
MMO's make it separate. You want to reuse as much as possible for MMO's.