PDA

View Full Version : A big thank you to Newtek

kfiram
02-25-2007, 04:27 PM
As I've said to Jay Roth on the beta forum, I think Newtek is doing a **** of a job.
I've been known to moan an grown, and sometimes even shout and yell about LightWave's sometimes slow development, but the recent beta experience has been something completely different. Those who were not part of the beta missed out on some great fun.

The greatest part for me was seeing how, gradually but steadily, all of us sceptics became more and more positive toward Newtek and their so called "New Team" of developers. The beta started out with a relatively negative all-around tone (as was rather common when dealing with LW on these forums for quite some time), but these days there's really such an optimistic tone coming out of these forums, that you'd swear all of us guys were given some powerful love drug that made us crazy about Newtek, as if it was the early 90's all over again.
Main reason being: at least as far as rendering is concerned, we can feel proud to be Wavers once more!

Sure, there are still many areas LW needs sorted out - from interface design to character animation, from modeler tool consolidation to particles and dynamics... but it's clear that progress IS being made and that Newtek IS capable of doing great things.

So once again, I want to thank all the guys and girls at Newtek and congratulate them on what is, for me, their greatest achievement to date: revitalising the community and inspiring great enthusiasm and optimism regarding LW's future.
Way to go guys, keep it up!!!

spigolo
02-25-2007, 11:00 PM
I Agree 100%

Hope this is a solid process that will see all the weaky areas of Lw being processed from the New team.
In these days I feel very happy to have not left Lw for my business I'm getting repaid from this decision..

nigebabe
02-26-2007, 03:00 AM
Good to hear this. I admit to having had a couple of moans at NT for the state of stabilty of 9.0 but at the end of the day I am still supporting my, and my, company's investment. However, are you beta testers in a position to assure the rest of us that the instability problems have been sorted so that we can enjoy all of the new features as well as being able to use it on a day to day basis, particularly for those people who use it to try and make a bit of a living? I certainly hope so as I really do not want to move away from LW.

caesar
02-27-2007, 07:27 AM
I agree completely!!!!

pooby
02-27-2007, 07:37 AM
This last month is the only time I've been genuinely impressed with LW's development for years.
I have done an about turn regarding my confidence in LW's future. I feel that there is good reason to be excited.

tonybliss
02-27-2007, 08:36 AM
To nigebabe's question ... I just recently started using the second to last build for production ... and it works nicely 98% of the times(I only get the very rare crash ... but rare) all of my purchased plugins and free work nicely with it. They include(tested) - LWCAD 2.1, Syflex, PLG UV unwrap, FPRIME 2.1, Vue XStream 6; Messiah; I am yet to test Maestro, T4D (for my classes) and unreal cell shader ... pus some other stuff i prob can't remember.
but the core program is working perfectly for me so far in production and experimenting fun.

Great to hear that from you Pooby ... :)

colkai
02-27-2007, 12:43 PM
If we can get Pooby impressed by the revised C.A. that Newtek are promising, I think that in itself bodes very well for LW.

For someone who uses CA in "anger" to start looking to Lw would only mean good things. Of course, we have to wait and see how things pan out, but the feedback from Newtek lately and the very obvious work put in by the dev team do give much more confidence than may have been the case previously.

It's exciting to think what may yet lie ahead for wavers. :)

kopperdrake
02-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Aye - just want to chip in and say bloody good job all round; the guys at NT for pulling this off and the beta testers who've spent so much time on this! As one who's hung around the beta forums but not had the time to participate I can honestly say I'm impressed with the amount of testing those guys have done :thumbsup:

Chris S. (Fez)
02-27-2007, 04:57 PM
9.2 is gonna be so frickin sexy when nodes work with Fprime.

jameswillmott
02-27-2007, 05:33 PM
9.2 is sexy enough WITHOUT nodes in Fprime :)

Andyjaggy
02-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Yep. The future is again looking bright for Lightwave.

nthused
02-27-2007, 07:14 PM
I agree...Use of FPrime is fraction of the time that it used to be. DOF, MB, and Radiosity are better in LW9.2 now. To say nothing of the new nodes.

Chris S. (Fez)
02-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Bah, middle-90's-Meg-Ryan cute maybe. :)

Node-friendly Fprime will turn 9.2 into um...let's see...whom am I madly in love with this week? Jessica Alba?

9.2 is sexy enough WITHOUT nodes in Fprime :)

iconoclasty
02-27-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't expect Meg Ryan to look cute in her mid-90s

tonybliss
02-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey we don't know what technology will be available then :)

[mr t voice]and Mr Chris don't go talking about my wife like that ... thats ms alba too you :devil: {/mr t voice]

Chrusion
03-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Ya know what... if Autodesk can screw around Maya's menus in 8.0 by renaming and regrouping 70% of the items and not piss off too many 6.5 - 7.0 users out there, then Newtek should not worry at all about tackling a far more thoughtful and planned out redesign of LW's interface to go with all this new found rendering and surfacing power. Getting as many as possible of modeler's tools to be interactive and convergent through option checkboxes to consolidate functions, minimizing interface clutter (why is there a Size and a Stretch tool when it could be made into One through the introduction of manipulator handles, etc) should be a very high priority, as well.

Bog
03-02-2007, 06:30 AM
Hear Hear on the sentiment. Thanks from this studio, NewTek!

Regarding Chrusion's point, I think that it's well worth embracing a new, streamlined interface - another example would be unifying all the various Bevel modes into one interface. Preferably one we can keyframe ;)

The "Production Style Menus" setting is already a good step in the right direction, and shows that a "classic" interface can be preserved for those who like their legacy layouts.

Doctor49152
03-03-2007, 03:51 AM
I am SO looking forward to 9.2!! I've been using LW since 3.5 on the Toaster. I've never even touched the other 3D programs. I figure I could know a little of each OR more of one and be better.

That said every time and new version or update has come out in the past few years (since 8 really) I have been blown away by the new features.

Keep up the amazing work NT. I am a fan for life.

Now I got my dream gig and its totally using LW all day long!! How happy can I get!

-Rob S

--------------------
http://www.interocitor-media.com/tardis/

ghostlight
03-05-2007, 01:53 AM
I've been using 9.2 on projects for clients and I can't imagine going back to 9.0. The photoreal motion blur, dof, real lenses, the improved radiosity, antialiasing (once you figure it out), and overall stability are all very exciting for me. I love the random antialiasing sampling, especially for tracking 3D elements onto live footage. Because how the motion blur is offset can really affect the quality of matching footage, it's really great being able to have a real quick low-quality random noise motion blur render just to see how the tracking looks.

Thanks, Newtek, for really working with your community to give us some amazing new features. Focusing on the rendering was a smart move, because it's the first thing I rave about when people ask why I use Lightwave. Keep 'em comin!