PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Quadro FX vs. Geforce 8800

Katherine
02-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on whether an Nvidia Quadro FX 3500 would be significantly beneficial for Lightwave and Speededit over a Geforce 8800 GTX?

Animapper
02-25-2007, 10:37 PM
I recently talked with an engineer at nVidia and he admitted that the main difference between the consumer line and the pro quadro line was well tweeked drivers. That being said, my investigation into LW left me with the opinion of paying much less for the faster 8800 gtx over the quadros. When using autocad, i have noticed some significant differences with the pro line but not in any of my 3D arsenal. (Vue, LW, sketchup)

hth,

radams
02-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Hi Katherine,

As has been stated...in regards to LW...the Geforce series...compares well with the QuadroFX series...

There are some hardware differences...but the biggest is in tweeked drivers...thus the Quadro will do better in OpenGL and antialiased overlays etc...

But the 7950 compares very well with the Quadro 4500 series...so to be honest I would recommend the 7950 over all the ones, you asked about....

The 8800 is so new and is a different driver set...which even Nvidia is stating needs to be better optimized...and those using it even say that the drivers still need some work...

Thou depending on what you're needing and using it for...If you are needing DirectX10 certified...then the 8800 is a good choice since it is one of the few cards that are...just know that it will be a few months till Nvidia gets the drivers tweeked for best performance....

If you are also working with AutoCad, SolidWorks, etc....then I would suggest going with the Quadro...but if your main toolset is LW....go Geforce at this time...I recommend the 7950...

Cheers,

Katherine
02-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks all for your help. Your recommendation for the 7950 makes sense to me.

Captain Obvious
03-01-2007, 09:31 AM
The 8800GTX works great with Lightwave, and modo. I haven't tried it with any other apps, though. It's exceptionally fast, at any rate.

bob anderson
03-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Here's the dilemma... LW pushes OpenGL, whereas SpeedEdit pushes Direct X (as does the VT) so you are going to have to find a card that balances between the two. Workstation graphics cards will be better for speed edit, and gaming cards will be better for LW.

Bob Anderson

Red_Oddity
03-01-2007, 04:28 PM
You mean the other way round Bob? Quadro for LW and Geforce for Speededit ?

Personally the only difference i have noticed is in the support for 'higher end' applications (like SpeedGrade or Maya 8.5 with High Quality turned on), also, Quadros seem to behave somewhat better with millions+ poly objects, but i'd still would go for Geforce 8800 GTX.

Captain Obvious
03-08-2007, 07:14 AM
$500 worth of Geforce will buy you an awful lot more hardware than $500 worth of Quadro.

prospector
03-08-2007, 08:10 AM
I have the 7950 GT and am thinking of going sli with it.
Having always used dual monitors and just switched to the 22" widescreen on one of my computers, will a sli setup driving 1 monitor speed up LWs OGL over 1 card? Or is all the slowness due to cpu speed, which I could up from dual 3800 AMDs to 4800 or 5200s.

Just checking where money is better put

Captain Obvious
03-08-2007, 09:37 AM
SLI only works with full-screen stuff, as far as I know. In other words: Not with Lightwave.