PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Quad processor should one buy?

Thomas M.
02-25-2007, 01:46 PM
I just wonder if I should get into buying some serious hardware. If one could spend between 2 and 3k in Euros on a new system, what should one buy? As I only got Intel chips so far I'd like to stay with Intel to avoid any chip company based trouble. I read a lot persons are buying some 6700 processor latley. Is that the choice one should make? What kind of standard equipment would I need to invest in? Is the nVidia 8800 the graphic card for good value presently?

If somebody has any experience with this stuff I 'd be happy to get a recommendation. I don't want to spend money in a super system with is out of date in a few month, so something nice and solid would do the trick.

Cheers
Thomas

Surrealist.
02-25-2007, 02:20 PM
The main thing with intel right now is at the moment they are at the top . The intel quad is faster than the AMD quad - which is actually two dual chips in one board. But from what I understand, only slightly. The FX 74 series "quad" set up - two dual cores on one board - will allow you to later upgrade thier new quad core chips, giving you 8 cores with two quad chips on the same board. The ASUS mother board for the AMD Quad set up is very nice. I would not write AMD off so quickly without futher research.

You can start here:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTIzMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

I also understand Intel platform will also have an 8 core set up but I believe that will be a different chipset entirely, though I am not 100% on that but it is something to look into as well.

Thomas M.
02-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks, Richard.

I only want to choose Intel as all other CPUs I got are from Intel. In the end I'm not really into hardware any more. I just need something solid that works and is pretty fast. Last month I bought a DualCore2 consumer PC and quite like the non existent noise from the fan. It's absolutely silent. That's something I want to keep with a "super" computer. It's not really speed related, but gives you such a better working environment. I just thought a quad core would be probably 2-4x times faster. Doing a lot of tests would be in the end much faster, than on an average PC.

But I don't want to spend a fortune on this.

Cheers

Celshader
02-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks, Richard.

I only want to choose Intel as all other CPUs I got are from Intel. In the end I'm not really into hardware any more. I just need something solid that works and is pretty fast. Last month I bought a DualCore2 consumer PC and quite like the non existent noise from the fan. It's absolutely silent. That's something I want to keep with a "super" computer. It's not really speed related, but gives you such a better working environment. I just thought a quad core would be probably 2-4x times faster. Doing a lot of tests would be in the end much faster, than on an average PC.

But I don't want to spend a fortune on this.

Cheers

For what it's worth, only the render engine and Motion Designer can take advantage of multiple threads across multiple cores. That said, what's nice about the new cameras in the 9.0 LightWave render engine is that they scale beautifully with multiple cores. Four threads spread across four cores will use 99-100% of the CPU power, giving you about a 4x speed increase over a single core. In contrast, RealFlow calculations spread across four cores will only use 67-70% of the CPU power at best, giving you less than 3x speed increase over a single core.

-+-

Later this year I figure I'll upgrade to a single quad-core CPU. I do not know if I will go with AMD or Intel, though. By the time I upgrade, AMD's power-efficient quad-core CPUs should be out. However, they will be so new that I am certain they will cost more than Intel's "quad-core" chips, which will have been out for a year. Intel's "quad-core" chips may not be true quad-cores, as Surrealist pointed out, but for sheer render power it may not matter.

pooby
02-25-2007, 04:22 PM
I just got a Dual -Xeon E5345 (Quad Core) 2.33 set up and it's very very fast.

http://www.vertexmonkey.com/benchmark_scene_202_8Spheres.php

this gives a good indication of rendering speed of different chips.

Thomas M.
02-25-2007, 04:27 PM
So what's the difference in Layout when I need to deal with large scenes. Will it be faster, or is that only depending to my GfxCard? For all the test renderings it'll be wonderful to have 4x times the speed of a regular single core.

Celshader
02-25-2007, 04:33 PM
So what's the difference in Layout when I need to deal with large scenes. Will it be faster, or is that only depending to my GfxCard? For all the test renderings it'll be wonderful to have 4x times the speed of a regular single core.

As I understand it, the speed in Layout hinges on the speed of a single CPU core + the speed of your graphics card. OpenGL in 9.x kicks *** over OpenGL in 8.5, but the OpenGL must wait for the CPU to update any deformations in the scene.

If you are not dealing with bones/displacements, then the graphics card will probably make much more of a difference than the CPU.

For scrubbing through scenes in Layout or modeling, you will not notice a difference between a single 2Ghz core or four 2Ghz cores. The extra cores will mostly make themselves known when running test renders with the new cameras. This is the main reason I want to upgrade from a dual-2Ghz Opteron system to a nice quad-core system later this year -- I could use the extra render power for freelance projects.

Intuition
02-25-2007, 09:34 PM
I just got a Dual -Xeon E5345 (Quad Core) 2.33 set up and it's very very fast.

http://www.vertexmonkey.com/benchmark_scene_202_8Spheres.php

this gives a good indication of rendering speed of different chips.

We are getting dual Xeon x5355 (2.66 variant) as well here @ EdenFX pretty soon.

Total of 8 cores..... YAY! :D :D :D

We got our first test machine on Friday and it is ridiculously fast. I'll be LW 9.2 and modo testing it this week. :thumbsup:

My dual opteron 285's (2 dual core procs totaling 4 cores) seem like snails compared to the xeons. I bought my dual opteron system in August for just over $5000 and now its probably worth about $2500-$3000. Thats the way bleeding edge goes though.

Chris S. (Fez)
02-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Please let us know how your Modo and 9.2 testing goes, if you get a chance. I am considering the same 2.66 dual quad setup.

We are getting dual Xeon x5355 (2.66 variant) as well here @ EdenFX pretty soon.

Total of 8 cores..... YAY! :D :D :D

We got our first test machine on Friday and it is ridiculously fast. I'll be LW 9.2 and modo testing it this week. :thumbsup:

Thomas M.
02-26-2007, 02:06 AM
Pooby, did you just order single hardware items and then put everything together yourself or is this a prebuild machine? Also I'd like to know what GfxCard you threw into this PC.

Cheers
Thomas

pooby
02-26-2007, 04:31 AM
I got our IT supplier guys to make them.
We only have the renderfarm versions at present, the Workstations will have
a quadroFX 3450
They were about 1850 ex vat each for the render machines and 2300 for the workstations.
If you spec them up on Dell's site, and accept the first quote you'll end up paying nearly double that.
If you don't make them yourself then always haggle and play 2 suppliers against each other. The price will fall dramatically. Especially if they are under the impression you might buy in bulk if you like them.
OR club together with a few people who also want one and actually buy in bulk.

Matt
02-26-2007, 04:55 AM
When my new CoolerMaster case finally arrives, I'll be able to build my Quad Core 2 system and test it, will post speeds etc. when I can!

Thomas M.
02-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Looking forward to this. Why did you order the 8800 instead of the one Pooby uses? Is it just costs or what's the difference? So far I heard a lot about driver issues with the 8800. Is this any different with the QuadroFx?

Celshader
02-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Total of 8 cores..... YAY!

You are one lucky artist! The 9.x-specific cameras (Perspective, Advanced, RealLens) should scream on that with 8 threads. :thumbsup:

Erwin Zwart
02-26-2007, 07:38 AM

what about kray? :hey:
Curious how kray scales on 8 cores compared to one of those cores.

Intuition
02-26-2007, 12:23 PM
what about kray? :hey:
Curious how kray scales on 8 cores compared to one of those cores.

Thats a good point.... Will be sure to test Kray as well.

:D :D :D

Thomas M.
02-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Intuition, could you please tell me what kind of stuff is also in your new machine?