PDA

View Full Version : New Project need help

Tony3d
02-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Hi, I'm going to be starting a new project using Vue, and Lightwave. I need to make an outdoor tiger exhibit. There will be pathway and buildings I plan to model in Lightwave and import into Vue. I have a birds eye over head view of the plans I will need to model off of. If I use these in Photoshot I was thinking of painting in all the ponds and high low areas. My question is I will be using the over head view in Lightwave building my models of the pathway right over the drawing. How do I know I'm working in the correct scale, so when I import these pathways they lay in the proper locations to the terrian I made in Photoshop? Is there a better way of doing this? Am I on the right track here?

dsol
02-26-2007, 06:11 AM
Hi, I'm going to be starting a new project using Vue, and Lightwave. I need to make an outdoor tiger exhibit. There will be pathway and buildings I plan to model in Lightwave and import into Vue. I have a birds eye over head view of the plans I will need to model off of. If I use these in Photoshot I was thinking of painting in all the ponds and high low areas. My question is I will be using the over head view in Lightwave building my models of the pathway right over the drawing. How do I know I'm working in the correct scale, so when I import these pathways they lay in the proper locations to the terrian I made in Photoshop? Is there a better way of doing this? Am I on the right track here?

Ah... Vue. I'm currently wrestling with this enigmatic and deeply unstable application on another job :) If your terrain has significant variations in height (which would distort a 2D map or geometry placed on it), then you could export a UV map of the distorted ground mesh. Though that wouldn't help with your path (unless you just created your path with image maps - not such a crazy idea actually!).

Of course if your ground plane is created in LW I don't know if it'll integrate with the environment generators in Vue. One other option would be to do it all in lightwave. Create the grass in saslite, and export tree and foilage models from Vue. You can even render some nice Vue spectral clouds as a background - assuming you have enough rendering grunt - and composite them as a separate pass.

Anyway, some thoughts :)

Tony3d
02-26-2007, 06:25 AM
Ah... Vue. I'm currently wrestling with this enigmatic and deeply unstable application on another job :) If your terrain has significant variations in height (which would distort a 2D map or geometry placed on it), then you could export a UV map of the distorted ground mesh. Though that wouldn't help with your path (unless you just created your path with image maps - not such a crazy idea actually!).

Of course if your ground plane is created in LW I don't know if it'll integrate with the environment generators in Vue. One other option would be to do it all in lightwave. Create the grass in saslite, and export tree and foilage models from Vue. You can even render some nice Vue spectral clouds as a background - assuming you have enough rendering grunt - and composite them as a separate pass.

Anyway, some thoughts :)

Thanks for the input.

Darth Mole
02-26-2007, 09:09 AM
For the record I was working in the release candidate of Vue 6 for most of Sunday and it didn't crash once.

Tony3d
02-26-2007, 09:12 AM
For the record I was working in the release candidate of Vue 6 for most of Sunday and it didn't crash once.

Thanks Darth. I have this worked out now. Should work well. I need to update my Vue Infinte 5 to 6. How does the ecosytem painting and erasing work. That sounds great to me. By the way do you know anywhere I can by a Mangrove tree model?

dsol
02-26-2007, 09:16 AM

Yeah, that's just been released hasn't it? I was a bit wary of switching the project over in case the RC was even flakier than current version. Glad to hear you've not had any issues so far, is rendering any faster by chance? Taking sooooo long to render these spectral atmospheres :(

Darth Mole
02-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Uh, no real reference for render times, to be honest. I do know that even on my Quad G5 ANY animation is an overnight job, as you need to crank up the AA levels.

But you've got to love the end result...