PDA

View Full Version : Can't spam just be auto-deleted?

Signal to Noise
02-24-2007, 08:11 AM
It seems all of these spam posts get that little piece of paper icon next to the thread header. If this is something automatically done then why couldn't the posts be flagged & deleted even before reaching the forum? This would avoid surprises when browsing the forums @ work, for example.

brian.coates
02-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Another option (that I've seen used on other forums), is that a new member's first couple of posts have to be approved by an admin/moderator before they go online.

Either that or prohibit new members from starting new threads before they've posted say, 10 messages in pre-existing threads.

I think that would discourage most 'ambush' spammers, or at least make them work harder for their money...

Bytehawk
02-24-2007, 09:32 AM
prohibit new members from starting new threads before they've posted say, 10 messages in pre-existing threads.

I fear that this would make the spammers would just post in existing threads, much harder to notice.

iconoclasty
02-24-2007, 09:46 AM
The new member post approval idea has been discussed before. NewTek isn't interested in that. They've said they're working on a solution to all the spam. We just need to make do for now I guess.

brian.coates
02-24-2007, 11:56 PM
I fear that this would make the spammers would just post in existing threads, much harder to notice.

Well, if fewer people noticed what would be the point of spamming in the first place?

It is just advertising after all, just like those catalogue inserts you get with your newspaper. The only difference here is that the newspaper (Newtek forum) is paying for the advertising.

Spamming is a numbers game, so you have to expose your message to as many people as possible, as easily as possible, because the return percentage is so low. I was suggesting that by making them earn the right to draw attention to themselves, (creating new threads), the extra effort involved would discourage spammers from signing up and posting in the first place.

Same reason guests aren't allowed to start new threads.

Just my 2 cents.

Bytehawk
02-25-2007, 05:23 AM
i hadn't thought of it that way. You might be correct. I have seen cases where spamming is not about exposition, but about links and searchbots.

One of the forums I administer has this problem right now. Spammers register and stay dormant but in their profile they put the links to spam-sites. Googlebot finds those links and continues there instead of following good links. Then about 3 months later they begin posting messages in the least visited forums. Not fun to deal with.