PDA

View Full Version : Job Hunting 101

Andyjaggy
02-23-2007, 07:30 PM
With the day of my graduation fastly approaching I have embarked on the 'Job Hunt' Here is a little lesson I learned this week.

I had an interview for a flash web designer position this week and it was a very interesting experience. I drove up to the building and was immediately struck with a bad feeling about the company. The building was one large square building, with no windows and one door on the front with a banner across it saying 'Now Hiring' Heritage Web Design.

So I go inside and am completley shocked at what I find. The entire building (the size of a warehouse) is one great big room, lined with about 150 cubicles. Now I've been in a fair amount of studios and had never seen anything like this. So I am getting kind of weirded out at this point. I go to the receptionist and tell her I have an interview, she looks kind of confused at first and then says she will be right back. She leaves and I stand there looking around at this place. The more I look the more weird it seems to get. the girl is gone for about 5 minutes and I finally think to myself. This place is wierd, I don't want to work here. So I turn around leave.

Anyway I get home and start digging around on the internet for stuff about this company. I find tons af complaints about them. Apparently they are kind of a 'web sweat shop' they charge people for a website and then crank out something cheap and shoddy that doesn't work very well. If you want it fixed you have to pay them more money, this is assuming your website gets built at all! the average employee turnover is 1-3 months.

Anyway it wasn't anywhere I wanted to work so I am glad I walked out. Just an interesting experience I thought I would share with you guys.

DiedonD
02-24-2007, 05:05 AM
...Just an interesting experience I thought I would share with you guys.

Dear lord. I thought you were going to say that there were lined up artists that were inslaved there, by chains up their feet, looking at you in depression thinking "PLEASE GO, AND DONT EVER COME BACK, FOR YOUR SAKE".

Its a freaky place to work in for sure.

The impression that Im getting is as if you would apply for work as a 3D Artist and they'll force you to upload stuff physically instead, kinda a place.

These stories are so interesting, and always welcomed by me.

Martin Adams
02-24-2007, 05:08 AM
Wow, definitely not the type of place that seems fun to work at. I take it they never contacted you about why you didn't turn up to the interview then.

I remember one of my interviews, I turned up at a web design company. After having read the blurb on their website about them being in the industry for 15 years and having over 25 employees, I was quite surprised to see it somewhat different. I counted space for about 10 or so employees, all dressed in suits (of which I don't believe in because I work in front of a computer, not in front of clients - personal preference).

Half way through the interview I knew I didn't want the job. What do you do in that situation, just get up and say "sorry" and leave, or continue? Anyway, I continued and turned it down before I even know if I got it or not.

They asked me what I thought of their web site. I didn't have the heart to say that I read the whole thing and knew nothing about the company and that it seems like 'marketing speak' with no substance.

When going for a job, it's not always the applicatant that's being interviewed.

Andyjaggy
02-24-2007, 09:05 AM
True, if I had been a little more desperate I would have gone through with it as I am fairly certain I could have got the job, but I am not that desperate yet.

cresshead
02-24-2007, 09:15 AM
i'd sooner have a''day job' staching tins on shelves and working freelance than ruining my thoughts on a crap 2d/3d job...
i left my last one cos i don't do employee/boss relationships..no tugging or forelocks here...with frelance your on a level with your client and not subservient to them....they NEED you...

bobakabob
02-24-2007, 06:38 PM
With the day of my graduation fastly approaching I have embarked on the 'Job Hunt' Here is a little lesson I learned this week.

I had an interview for a flash web designer position this week and it was a very interesting experience. I drove up to the building and was immediately struck with a bad feeling about the company. The building was one large square building, with no windows and one door on the front with a banner across it saying 'Now Hiring' Heritage Web Design.

So I go inside and am completley shocked at what I find. The entire building (the size of a warehouse) is one great big room, lined with about 150 cubicles. Now I've been in a fair amount of studios and had never seen anything like this. So I am getting kind of weirded out at this point. I go to the receptionist and tell her I have an interview, she looks kind of confused at first and then says she will be right back. She leaves and I stand there looking around at this place. The more I look the more weird it seems to get. the girl is gone for about 5 minutes and I finally think to myself. This place is wierd, I don't want to work here. So I turn around leave.

Anyway I get home and start digging around on the internet for stuff about this company. I find tons af complaints about them. Apparently they are kind of a 'web sweat shop' they charge people for a website and then crank out something cheap and shoddy that doesn't work very well. If you want it fixed you have to pay them more money, this is assuming your website gets built at all! the average employee turnover is 1-3 months.

Anyway it wasn't anywhere I wanted to work so I am glad I walked out. Just an interesting experience I thought I would share with you guys.

Creepy... Sounds like something out of David Lynch's 'Eraserhead' :) Keep persevering Andy, with your talent you're sure to find a real job eventually.

Bog
02-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Bloody ****. If you're "just graduating" then I need to get my butt in gear and start buffing some of my old work right up. ;)

But yeah - places like that? Run, do not walk, for the nearest exit. Do not pass "Go". Do not be owed 20,000 dollars.

Andyjaggy
02-24-2007, 09:12 PM
seriously, you know a place is pretty bad when you get creeped out even before you have the interview!

I cannot wait to gradauate, It's going to be an awesome incredible amazing feeling. My dad wants me to pursue graduate school but I am like why? The only reason I would go on to get a Masters is if I decided I wanted to be serious about architecture. Even then...... I just want to be done.