PDA

View Full Version : Terrible....

mwh710
02-23-2007, 08:24 AM
I am so disgusted wit 9.0 in my 32 seat lab. It crashes whenever you try to load a scene. I've thrown away preferences, the Hub is not installed & I have redone installations - garbage. I spent my day trying to put 8.5 back on all of them , at least it was stable, but now when my students render quick scenes to QT, all they get is a blank white screen.

While I'm on my soap box, I signed up for 9.2 beta & got my new #, but it stills says it's expired & only runs in Discovery. I have eMailed Cust Service twice now, waited a WEEK between, no answer. I don't get it, what's happening here?

Very frustrated. I have been with NT since Inspire, but I am not sure I like where things seem to be going all of a sudden.

eblu
02-23-2007, 09:05 AM
the qt problem sounds like your students are rendering to an unavailable codec. are they trying to watch the movies on the same system they rendered it? Also... heh... don't EVER render from lightwave to quicktime. Lightwave is quirky, and if it goes down while rendering to QT then you lose the entire render. render instead to 32 bit targas, which by the way is the ONLY format I have found to be reliable, when rendering out from Lightwave.

I wish you luck with your lightwave woes, but I have to say that I myself have had less problems (but only marginally so) in 9, than in 8.5. perhaps you could send one of the scene files to chilton?

personally I suspect a few extra instances of one of the meta plug-ins may be in your scene files. Its not supposed to be able to happen but sometimes plugins declare themselves multiple times in the scene file, confusing LW as it tries to open the files. the fix is a find and replace command in a text file, but I think you should send an example to the mac devs so that they can address it more thoroughly.

scabooba
02-23-2007, 09:21 AM
agreed. The codec maybe in the system for say mpeg2 or dvcpro HD but that doesn't mean the qt player will play it. Also I've stubbornly rendered to quicktime everytime I've used lightwave and been burnt several times by it. I do however still render to quicktime. Just to lazy to clean up all those stills. Anyway I hope your problems are resolved quickly.

Matt
02-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Sorry to hear you didn't manage to get onto the Beta, that should be sorted quickly, drop NT an email, they are usually great in this area, but I know they have been extremely busy of late!

Oh, and 9.2 promises to blow quite a few people away! So stick with it! You won't regret it!

mwh710
02-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Funny, just got an answer back from Customer service that told me to ask the forum, that they have no idea why the # they gave me won't work....

Nice....

In the mean time, I can't do any work :(

Phil
02-23-2007, 01:47 PM
For 9.2 OB, I believe that you need to check the registration page for the current activation code. When 9.2 goes final, you should be able to use your 9.0 activation code.

Regarding 9.0 in general, I assume that your lab is all Macs, but some clarification would be welcome. 9.0 has some issues that should be fixed in 9.2, particularly with regard to firewalls and the like. Some more details regarding your setup would likely be helpful.

kevinone
02-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Maybe they should start $ people on the forum! No way to run NT! I am so fustrated with 9.0, I really don't care to purchase a nother version, no matter how good it is. I feel ripped off, burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me. Moral of the story is don't sell beta versions NT, if you need funds try a bank not your customers! When XSI came out they bundled Softimage along with the bugy XSIv1, great way to go! When I get the funds, it will be the way I go! Sorry for trouble, can't believe what customer service said.

CAClark
02-23-2007, 03:00 PM
9.0 was a badly rushed beta, pushed out to make Siggy rather than when it was finished. Hopefully 9.2 will not be a repeat.

Cheers!

mwh710
02-23-2007, 06:23 PM
I have 16 - 1.8GHz G5 iMacs with 1GB RAM, 16 - 1.4GHz G4 eMacs with 1GB RAM, and one DP 1.4GHz G4 Tower with 2GB RAM. All are running OS 10.4.8. It seems that the G5 iMacs are having more problems than he G4 eMacs & my tower hasn't had any problem, except that I foolishly went to the 9.2 Beta & it won't recognize the Key that NT gave me, so I can't save anything & have to do my lesson plans on a students computer. Wish we were all back on 8.5. A stable 9.2 can't come soon enough What a mess, I'm disgusted, & my students are just down right frustrated.

mwh710
02-23-2007, 07:08 PM
I have attached the "expired/discovery mode" warning (Pic#1), the license.key file (pic#2). I then threw away the license.key file and reregistered it. I now get a 20 day grace period (Pic#3), but see what it said, when I entered the key that NT gave me (Pic#4). I don't get it - any help - anyone?

DON'T say call NT, they already told me they can't help & suggested I ask the forum. Otherwise I am SOL..... :(

I actually would like to be able to use this very expensive product.

ramccombe
02-23-2007, 08:22 PM
For what it's worth I would lose all the extra text you have in your license key doc. I don't use the registration app. I just create the text doc as necessary. Both my keys are the same with the exception of the numbers and dates. They don't have the dongle ID. They read as follows "XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX // Entered Thu Jul 13 07:02:22 2006" without the quotes of course for version 9.0 and "XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX // Entered Mon Nov 06 06:17:22 2006" for 9.2 beta. I just drag the key into the new OB (Open Beta) Programs folder. With every new download I drag the old OB folder to the desktop, install the new one in the apps folder open 2 finder windows and drag all the needed folders and docs from the old to the new IE content, fonts, plugins, presets ETC. and never had a problem. Go to the registration page login and confirm the registration numbers and dates for your products and apply them as I displayed above. Also the beta program always prompts that you have X days left. Good luck I hope this helps.:thumbsup:

Chilton
02-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone,

Here's what I suspect happened with tech support. Normally, since I work in the same building as the tech guys, when they have some problem that they can't solve (which is very, very rare), if it's a Mac problem, they just walk over and ask me. Unfortunately, since the UB is ****ed near ready now, and since everyone and their robot dog wants it yesterday, for the last week they've been hesitant to come ask anything.

It probably hasn't helped that I've been coughing on everyone who walks within 5 feet of my desk thanks to the flu. So if they were stumped by this, and I either wasn't at my desk, was at my desk building a mountain of kleenexes, or if I was poking frantically on the little white buttons below the magic white box, they probably decided to wait. And the best, fastest answer you or they could suggest in the interim is this forum right here.

There's a good chance that no matter what your problem is, someone else here has already had it, and knows how to fix it.

However, things don't disappear in tech support. If they don't have the answer, they'll find it for you. In this case, I'm probably who they were going to ask, and they know that this last week I've been avoiding human contact for a number of reasons--mainly finishing the UB for Open Beta. So yes, this is probably my fault.

And with that in mind, without telling you why or how I know this, the answer to your problem is behind door #2. More specifically, I'll send you a private message with instructions regarding how to get this working again.

Again, I am sorry for not getting to this sooner. Don't blame the tech guys though, they were probably just being polite and trying not to bother me until the UB is out.

-Chilton

avkills
02-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Why would you install a beta version (9.2) on a machine that I would consider sort of mission critical?

9 has been really stable on my G5 without the HUB running.

-mark

mwh710
02-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Thank you Chilton,

I look forward to your e-Mail

Thanks to everyone who added coments. I do find this forum to be the most congenial & informative one that I have tried. Thanks again.

toby
02-24-2007, 11:29 AM
It seems that the G5 iMacs are having more problems than he G4 eMacs & my tower hasn't had any problem, except that I foolishly went to the 9.2 Beta & it won't recognize the Key that NT gave me, so I can't save anything & have to do my lesson plans on a students computer.
Also keep in mind that there's *no* reason not to keep 8.5, 9.0 and the 9.2 beta on your machines at the same time. I still have 7.5 as well. Especially the beta, it was never intended to replace a working version - for exactly the reason you've experienced ~

prospector
02-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Moral of the story is don't sell beta versions NT,

Hu??

I don't remember Newtek forcing me to buy anything beta..
I DO remember them saying don't use beta versions for in the pipe projects that are critical.
And I don't think, (at least it dosen't here), LW9 auto updates to newest ver on Newtek site without you knowing it.
The user has to physically go to download page and download and install newest beta ver. And we are not being forced to do that.

I hope Newtek does this again..it was fun

TomT
02-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Again, I am sorry for not getting to this sooner. Don't blame the tech guys though, they were probably just being polite and trying not to bother me until the UB is out.

-Chilton

I have a cool idea. Why doesn't NewTek use our license fees to hire more than one guy who knows the Macintosh? Wouldn't that be just groovy?

I think a staff of one pretty much indicates NT's commitment to the platform.

NT is the *only* supplier I deal with that has just *one* person hired for *both* Mac R&D and support.

-T

TomT
02-24-2007, 10:44 PM
9.0 was a badly rushed beta, pushed out to make Siggy rather than when it was finished. Hopefully 9.2 will not be a repeat.

Cheers!

Quoted for agreement.

Chilton
02-25-2007, 01:56 AM
Hi Tom,

I have a cool idea. Why doesn't NewTek use our license fees to hire more than one guy who knows the Macintosh? Wouldn't that be just groovy?

I think a staff of one pretty much indicates NT's commitment to the platform.

NT is the *only* supplier I deal with that has just *one* person hired for *both* Mac R&D and support.

-T

We actually have two main Mac developers and quite a few others who work on Mac code as needed. However, the entire new developer team at NewTek is familiar with, and tests on both PCs and Macs. That is, everyone on the team owns a Mac today. And they even use them! We're required to fix bugs on either platform as needed.

The reason it seems like we have only one Mac programmer is that I'm a forum junkie, and probably a bit more of a fanatic Mac user than the rest of them ;-)

-Chilton

TomT
02-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Chilton,

Post 12 and Post 19 in this thread do not compute. If there are all these mac resources, then the whole thing shouldn't depend on you alone? :p

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear this new found commitment to the Mac platform at NT because my calls to support (admittedly now a few years old) never got resolved when the issue was "mac specific." I even had one case resolved by the NT support guy telling me, "It's not happening in the PC version." :foreheads

The next thing you know NT will be the *first* 64-bit 3D system on Leopard. :)

:lightwave

Chilton
02-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi Tom,

You sense disparity where there is none. :devil:

I am the only Mac engineer *physically* at NewTek. That's why the tech guys can walk over and talk to me. They can walk over and talk to Dave, but he doesn't live in Texas, so it will be a long walk.

-Chilton