PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica Cylon Raider... design coincidence..?

ArneK
02-23-2007, 06:13 AM
As a lot of us starting out in 3D we just had to make a spaceship, right? Well, so did I. When I first got Lightwave way back in 2000 my first model ever was a spaceship. Spent a lot of time drawing out different designs on paper and after a lot of time spent in Modeler I finished it in the fall of 2000. And I posted it in the gallery here on the NewTek forum. And it has since been forgotten on my old harddrive backups.

When I first got my hands on the first season of the new Battlestar Galactica TV series on DVD a few months ago and saw the Cylon Raiders I just couldn't help saying "Hey, isn't that my... ship..?". It is somewhat different but the overall silhouette is quite similar. Anyway, I just think it is quite funny as this was my first Lightwave model ever.

Oh, and by the way: Battlestar rocks and Zoic has done some amazing vfx work! Keep it up! I'm currently enjoying the final episodes of season 2 on DVD.

Arne :)

http://www.akdesign.no/ezboard/Spaceship.jpg

prospector
02-23-2007, 06:30 AM
don't see it
his is dark your is lighter.

:D

DogBoy
02-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Though similar, it isn't a unique concept. The Kilrathi from the Wingcommander series of games also had a similar design especially the Dralthi and Jrathek models.

kopperdrake
02-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Oh, I actually prefer yours :D

dwburman
02-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Dang it. I should finish a spaceship model some time. I think I've started a few but never finished any. I've drawn enough of them tho.

Beaker
02-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Though similar, it isn't a unique concept. The Kilrathi from the Wingcommander series of games also had a similar design especially the Dralthi and Jrathek models.

And there was this ship from Star Wars, albeit on a much bigger scale.

CMT
02-23-2007, 07:51 AM
I like them both. One seems more of a human design (yours) and the other fits better for a Cylon design (Zoic's).

I came up with something similar a while back myself but with 4 frontal extentions instead of just 2. Built it in Ray Dream. I couldn't find it though. Nor would I want to, I think, as I wasn't really very good at 3D back then. :)

Speedmonk42
02-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Clearly they are powered by completely different energy sources.

jeesh

v1u1ant
02-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I prefer yours. The other is too much like something out of batman.

Andyjaggy
02-23-2007, 05:36 PM
They totally stole your design, you should sue them :)

They aren't powered by different energy sources. If you look clearly you can see both contain plasma intake valve modulatros. It's simply a slightly different modification of the popular anti-matter warp design. Duh.

jin choung
02-24-2007, 01:23 AM
yah, don't get too hung up on similarities.

none of us exist in a vacuum and the things that inspired YOUR idea probably goes back a long way and could very well have inspired the new cylon designs (which i think suck super hardcore though i love the show.... ick). someone mentioned the kilrathi from wing commander... that's definitely a similarity that goes back farther than yours.

also, all such designs are probably inspired by the shape of certain AD&D battle-axes...:)

heck, the kilrathi were probably inspired in part by the original cylon raiders from the original show!

those cylons fing rocked like an fing boulder... btw!

jin

BUT - it might be worthwhile to find out who designed the show's version and see if he hangs about here. maybe you can have a chat with him....

Matt
02-24-2007, 02:33 AM
Coincidence, that's all,

Andyjaggy
02-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Yeah I don't think any of us are as creative and original as we would like to think we are, we are almost always influenced by someone elses work, or by nature, or something.

Andyjaggy
02-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Here is a ship I have been working on lately. Similar design.

Signal to Noise
02-24-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm dating myself here but when I was a kid I use to draw (pencil & paper variety) lots of spaceship prototypes. I had a really cool one that I stuck with which was basically an oblong fuselage with a wings at the rear in the shape of an 'X' formation. Imagine my surprise, a couple of years later, to see it on the big screen in a little movie called Star Wars (or something to that effect)! Needless to say, I am in the process of arranging litigation with the film creators just as soon as I visit every landfill in North America in the hopes of retrieving my old tossed out art books. ;)

Bog
02-24-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm dating myself here but when I was a kid I use to draw (pencil & paper variety) lots of spaceship prototypes. I had a really cool one that I stuck with which was basically an oblong fuselage with a wings at the rear in the shape of an 'X' formation. Imagine my surprise, a couple of years later, to see it on the big screen in a little movie called Star Wars (or something to that effect)! Needless to say, I am in the process of arranging litigation with the film creators just as soon as I visit every landfill in North America in the hopes of retrieving my old tossed out art books. ;)

Can you bag me an Atari 2600 "ET" cartridge while you're at it? ;)

bobakabob
02-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Arne, there's an uncanny likeness there for sure. Jin is right about inspiration though. Picasso said, "Amateurs borrow, genius steals." Except in this case I agree with Kopperdrake - your design is better ;)