PDA

View Full Version : Using Quicksilver to control lightwave works!

habañero
02-23-2007, 02:20 AM
Or rather, it works for the top menu but just this is incredible and it allows you to try the concept!

If you are unfamiliar with quicksilver it'll be a stretch to explain this properly, but what you do if you have it is described here (http://theappleblog.com/2006/11/01/quicksilver-does-menus-too/).

Chilton, is there any possibility at all that the rest of the menus in LW could in one way or the other be made available to "assistive devices"? If this could be made to work, organizing plugins or node installation would be a breeze, and you would automatically be able to see what of the three similar sounding plugins you used previously -- QS stores and ranks result by previous usage. It'd also display results that are close, if you spell the name of a plugin wrong ...

Could be there could be made a LW plugin for quicksilver that would allow for even more control. I mean speaking of it I will look into qs actions for render scene when I get the time. Say if you could have two LW actions mapped to a single shortcut in QS ... And so on. But mainly, being able to search the nodes and plugin list as well as every other menu in LW instantly with usage ranking and QS' Key Letter or what to call it algorithm in itself would be completely avesome and lightning fast over mouse browsing deep menus!

Just ask people if anything is unclear, I guess if you aint accustomed to Qs you will have to learn the program a little to understand the concept.

Chilton
02-23-2007, 05:28 AM
Hi Habañero,

QS is a well designed take on a very old idea. I'm very familiar with the product, and its authors, but I don't use it myself. I do think it's a well designed app though, and occasionally recommend it to people.

The UB will have far more things you can use QS with.

-Chilton

Captain Obvious
02-23-2007, 08:07 AM
I think the solution is blatantly obvious:

Extensive AppleScript support in Lightwave.

habañero
02-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Well I suspect it amounts to much the same thing -- I don't know the bottom from the plumpy parts of Xcode yet but it seems to me you automagically get Applescript support as well as probably assistive devices support if you use these new technologies ...?

One of the main advantages of using the assistive devices approach is zero setup time to access every available menu item -- applescript has quite a bit of manual labour to it and is also way inferior to Lscript when it comes to any real coding (or at least the good parts of Lscript). It shines though in connecting LW to the rest of the OS and the world.

Eg. if you added a new plugin and wanted to launch it with QS, you would likely have to make a new applescript for each case, and it would perhaps be tedious with some 1000-2000 plugins, buttons and nodes -- might be you wouldn't really save that much time in the end. Might also be it could be atuomated though, anything would be very welcome.

I am pretty excited at all QS support I can get, but I suspect Chilton is telling me the node list and additional plugin list is definitely out of the loop ... There has to be a possibility though to somehow have this made to work, these lists are after all availiable in plain text in the settings files and so its very basic parsing and messaging that needs to be put in place in a possible QS plugin! I mean I started to learn C some months ago and I can see how it could probably happen.

I see that Qs is sortof an either you like it or you don't -- then many people didn't delve deep enough into it to get to the parts that really saves you time through the day. Not that I spent too much time getting avesome stuff to work, I'd say its slightly above intuitive and pretty deep and so it puts people off. A good example, if I select a telephone number or an organizational number or even an adress in a pdf, I have a single shortcut to have it open Opera and find it in the Norwegian telephone catalog, brønnøysund (Norways IRS), or map/air photos. And its very easy to add forum or other searches as a shortcut that you can hit from any app, and with selected text ...! Fast todo's, very fast emails, even faster emails with attachments, tagging etc etc. I don't know how I managed without it!

Chilton
02-23-2007, 09:50 AM
I think the solution is blatantly obvious:

Extensive AppleScript support in Lightwave.

I agree with Captain Obvious here and expect a video of his celebration dance when he sees what we have done in the Universal Binary.

-Chilton

eblu
02-23-2007, 01:29 PM
I bet I know what you've done.
you've painted the whole thing with sparkly gold paint haven't you? Thats what's taking so long, you're waiting for the thick paint to dry and set up in a cool humid room. :P