PDA

View Full Version : help with polygon modelling

bkamat
02-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi i am a beginner in lightwave and i need help for following. i would appriciate if some one could guide me.

1. if i make box then select all polygons of the box and rotate on various axis and then realise that all my rotations were wrong so i need to get the box to its original state. is there any method to do this other then the undo command or staring the box all over again???. what i mean is, is there a local coordinate system for each sub item like the polygon box that i can manipulate on.

2. how do i add two polygons like two concentric circles so that i could extrude them like a hollow pipe.

thanks

:lwicon:

Sensei
02-23-2007, 12:16 AM
1. if i make box then select all polygons of the box and rotate on various axis and then realise that all my rotations were wrong so i need to get the box to its original state. is there any method to do this other then the undo command or staring the box all over again???. what i mean is, is there a local coordinate system for each sub item like the polygon box that i can manipulate on.

There is no local coordinate system in Modeler..

2. how do i add two polygons like two concentric circles so that i could extrude them like a hollow pipe.

That's tricky.. If I need such hollow pipe like
http://www.olemiss.edu/mathed/pow/pipe.gif

I would start from sphere in just two axis to make circle, switch to edge mode, select all circle edges, press 'e' to Extender Plus, then 'h' to resize and place mouse in circle center and make it smaller.. Then delete polygon with circle N-gons, select the all remaining quad polygons and use Extrude..

ercaxus
02-23-2007, 12:25 AM
1- no. I think there was a plugin that did something similar but I don't remember. You can try searching the plugin database at www.flay.com.
2- start making a disc on top(any actually) view but make only the top part, don't extrude it. drop the disc tool. you should have only one round polygon.
select that poly and use multishift or bevel (have the numeric panel open so you can see what's going on) and give it a little inset.
delete the round middle polygon.
select the polygon ring you created and do multishift, but this time don't inset but shift them (look at the numeric panel) and you should have a simple pipe like object.

edit: everybody replies faster than me . I should take typing classes. This of course means that I hope that my typing is slow not my thinking. I hope there are some classes on that too :)

Surrealist.
02-23-2007, 01:20 AM
For a straight pipe.

Create/Primitives/More/Wedge

Use the numeric panel to set the length, divisions and thickness of the the walls. Subdivide it with Bandsaw pro. Bend it with the bend tool, or spline guide. (Modify.Transform/More/Splineguide)

Or,

Select the face(ring) polys to cut or copy to another layer and use it as a profile. With a curve(Create/Curves/SplineDraw) in the background, select Multiply/Extend/More/RailExtrude to make a long tube that has curves.

bkamat
02-23-2007, 02:20 AM
Hi all thanks so much for all ur answers. actually i am well verse with 3d max and in 3d max i just have to take one circle then clone and reduce radius than attache one circle to another and just extrude is there any similar way in lightwave.

second i havent received any answer of my first question. how do i get my box back to original status without the undo or remaking of box. in 3dmax its very easy just reset all angles of the box to 0,0,0.

i am keen to learn lightwave but every time i learn i sort of compare each tool in lightwave with 3dmax.

Silkrooster
02-23-2007, 02:32 AM
There is no local coordinate system in Modeler..

That's tricky.. If I need such hollow pipe like
http://www.olemiss.edu/mathed/pow/pipe.gif

I would start from sphere in just two axis to make circle, switch to edge mode, select all circle edges, press 'e' to Extender Plus, then 'h' to resize and place mouse in circle center and make it smaller.. Then delete polygon with circle N-gons, select the all remaining quad polygons and use Extrude..
Using edge selection mode is not really necessary.

Create a flat disk
Select that disk
Press e for extender plus
Resize disk (Shift-h)
Delete center disk
Extrude

Silk

prospector
02-23-2007, 02:34 AM
pipe not complicated at all
only 3 steps
1 make disk
2 hit 'e', size to wall thickness you want delete highlited poly
3 extrude to lenght you want

box nothing that I have ever seen

zardoz
02-23-2007, 03:37 AM
another for a straight pipe:

1 create disc/cilinder
2 bevel top and bottom with desired inset and shift=0
3 use 'Bridge'

Sensei
02-23-2007, 09:03 AM
second i havent received any answer of my first question. how do i get my box back to original status without the undo or remaking of box. in 3dmax its very easy just reset all angles of the box to 0,0,0.

You received answer for this: No.. There is NO such option in LightWave's Modeler.. Undo and re-doing box are the only options..

Lewis
02-23-2007, 09:21 AM
It would be best that you show us what you are trying to make. Show us photo/model in MAX or whatever you want to make and then you'll get proper answers, this way we can only guess what you want.

iconoclasty
02-23-2007, 10:31 AM
but every time i learn i sort of compare each tool in lightwave with 3dmax.

That's totally fine, I did the same thing. Keep comparing them and eventually you should realize how much better modeling is in LW.

iconoclasty
02-23-2007, 10:37 AM
i am well verse with 3d max and in 3d max i just have to take one circle then clone and reduce radius than attache one circle to another and just extrude is there any similar way in lightwave.

You could do it like that too, but that way is a little more complicated than the techniques already described.

zardoz
02-23-2007, 06:00 PM
I guess that the problem we have here is that when someone starts to learn how to model in 3dsmax do it with the parametric primitives and other shapes...being able to redefine your shape by just dragging some numbers is really cool, and having the modifier stack can be useful....but after some time you will start modelling in a way 3d max users call 'poly modelling'...well we've been doing that in lightwave for at least 15 years...all the people I know that use 3d max model started modelling using the parametric primitives and compound objects and after years they discovered the 'poly modelling' way, and now all they do it's this way...'our' way.

I think that:

1 create disc/cilinder
2 bevel top and bottom with desired inset and shift=0
3 use 'Bridge'

is easier than:

1 take one circle
2 then clone
3 and reduce radius
4 than attache one circle to another
5 and just extrude

;)

Surrealist.
02-23-2007, 07:15 PM
What I like about lightwave is that there are so many ways to do the same thing. It just depends on what you are trying to accomplish since modling is a many step process. So you think about the end goal and proceed with steps that will get that accomplished - it can vary.

But just for a straight pipe, if that is the end goal, there is only one step needed:

Wedge.

iconoclasty
02-24-2007, 07:10 AM
Wedge is nice, but only if I want to make a pipe in numerical terms. Usually I like to SEE how big the dimensions are in relations to something else. So I generally use the bridge technique.

Costanel
02-25-2007, 02:18 PM
The plugin you meant was Thickener.

Go to flay.com, and download the plugin, it certainly is a time saver!

1. Make a cilinder and extrude it.
2. remove the 2 sides
3. run thickener.

Couldn't be easier. :)

Lewis
02-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Costanel - Thickener (1,2,3) isn't native in LW so it's not that simple :). I think that Bridge solution is fastest like zardoz suggests but since bkamat still didn't show us model what he needs i can't really tel what he want's isnce simple tube/pipe isn't complicated in any software. I'd make video capture if he provide me MAX screen grab of model he need but this way no really solution for his problem :).

pixelranger
02-25-2007, 02:40 PM
as for your first question, no, you don't have a local coordinate system for elements in Modeler. In Layout, though, when you load the box, you have numeric input so you easily can reset the transforrmations.