PDA

View Full Version : Hard FX help

avkills
02-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Sliced a object by just drawing curves and then extruding and doing a boolean slice on the object (solid drill).

Trying to make the object explode using HardFX, but it does not, the "sliced" object stays in one piece even though I have parts selected in the FX panel.

I might add that I am on a Mac and C4 does not work under OS X.

Any ideas?

Does each part have to be separate layer; from my inside LW 8.5 book, it tends to show that it can be any object that has polygons, that each polygon can act as a piece. Am I missing something?

-mark

Silkrooster
02-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Have you tried hitting it with a collision object?
Silk

avkills
02-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Yes I am hitting it with a collision FX object and basically the four letters just blow apart as whole letters instead of separating into little bits (it is a 4 letter logo element).

-mark

Silkrooster
02-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Maybe the peices are still welded together.
Silk

avkills
02-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Maybe the peices are still welded together.
Silk

That sounds like the problem; is there any quick utility in modeler to unweld them? Doing it by hand would be next to impossible or at the very least, to time consuming for my time frame.

-mark

Silkrooster
02-23-2007, 02:09 AM
For now, to test if this is the problem, lasso select all points and select unweld.
Silk

avkills
02-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks Silkrooster, I will try that and report back. :D

-mark

avkills
02-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Silk,

That did it; it is not perfect (chunks are not really solid), but it will work for what I need to do. Thank you.

-mark

LightFreeze
02-24-2007, 09:32 AM
you could try using this (http://www.triton.eclipse.co.uk/Chunkify.htm) on it

Silkrooster
02-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Silk,

That did it; it is not perfect (chunks are not really solid), but it will work for what I need to do. Thank you.

-mark
Hmmm. Just a thought, but I wonder after the calculations are done, if you could use the thickener plugin or would that effect the calculations.
Silk

avkills
02-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys; unfortunately, the render/fx calculations were looking to take way too long, so I faked it in AfterEffects using the shatter effect.

I probably should have cut it into less chunks. Oh well. I may play around with it in the future just to get a better handle on it.

-mark