PDA

View Full Version : Cutmall-Clark

Neuroup
02-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Hello!
I have a question to you: 'If anyone has any problems conected with Cutmall-Clark? I think that Lightwave is too slow when I want to edit some objects in this mode.
Thanx for any sugestion for this problem.
ByE!
Ps.I don't have slow machine :)

Earl
02-22-2007, 04:17 PM
You're not alone. Currently Catmull-Clark SubDs are very slow. Untill NewTek speeds them up (9.x maybe?) I would suggest only using them if you have to, and when modeling with them turn your SubD level down very low (maybe 2).

Neuroup
02-22-2007, 04:43 PM
BUUUU
Catmull-Clark SubDs are great for modeling characters and other things. For me this mode is very usefull. Newtek must do something with this!! I need it for better models and better work.
:newtek: Do something!!

Neuroup
02-22-2007, 04:54 PM
One more thing.
For me Lightwave 9 is not "REBORN" LW9 it's good move in good direction[Edges for 3d is something new ?]. One of the best things in LW 9 is Cutmall-Clark mode.
Now :newtek: made LW 9.2 and what new things are in this version ?
Depth of Field; Photoreal Motion Blur[Who will be using this ?]Global Illumination and Final Gather.
I didn't find any information about Cutmall-Clark mode :(

spec24
02-22-2007, 05:06 PM
reborn, but it's a premature birth. So much of LW 9 is broken or unusable. It still feels like a beta, it was not ready for realease.

Neuroup
02-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Spec24: You just write that for you Lw 9 is a beta version. Maybe It is maybe It not. I have one question to you. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that Lw 9 is very unstable. When I'm making something lightwave crush for 15 minut is normal.
I don't use Lightwave Vista and I have Pentium Core 2 duo with 2 gbs of ram.

spec24
02-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Spec24: You just write that for you Lw 9 is a beta version. Maybe It is maybe It not. I have one question to you. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that Lw 9 is very unstable. When I'm making something lightwave crush for 15 minut is normal.
I don't use Lightwave Vista and I have Pentium Core 2 duo with 2 gbs of ram.

ummmm??... what's the question? It sounds like you're agreeing with me. LW 9 is unstable for a lot of people. For me it's not so much crashing, although that happens a bit, it's that many times it doesn't even start (many threads on that already at the moment). Lots of broken tools (still) etc...

Gregg "T.Rex"
02-23-2007, 09:56 AM
A mere workaround untll CCs get up to speed is to work all the way with SubPatches and turn to CCs the last minute before applying weighted edges or going to Layout. You won't be able to use n-gons though, but that's something you usually want to avoid anyway...

Gregg "T.Rex"
02-23-2007, 11:00 AM
N-gons in character work where CCs are best applied mean sloppy and newbie modeler; in any 3d application... :)

gerry_g
02-23-2007, 12:47 PM
N-gons will improve the flow of just about any mesh, yes the quick fix appeal of 'oh to h-e-l-l with it I'll just use another n-gon' for nubs is valid, truth is sometimes the smoothing algorithm will sort out your poly flow better than you can (as in use an n-gon) and sometimes its better to do it manually, but unless you have the opportunity to use both you will never gain the expertise necessary to incorporate n-gons into your workflow

Gregg "T.Rex"
02-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Well... That's why i said about character work... :)
Inorganic modeling is a whole other thing; can't argue with you about that...

Surrealist.
02-23-2007, 03:33 PM
I am having success with CC. I did find it crashing in layout a while ago but I cannot repeat it now. Must have been a fluke.

The thing about CC is that it does take longer to calculate. If there is a way to make that faster that would be very good. Also, I would like to be able to use the feature of grabing a vertice off the surface of the mesh. I get around that by selecting all points and I can get at the ones that get burried "under the skin".

At first I thought CC was useless. Now I use it every day with great sucess for both character and "solid" objects. It just took some getting used to.

For the most part I create my mesh and then switch CC subd on and off. If I have a character I might leave it on and juust select the points as mentioned once I get it to a point I need that real time feed back.

I have yet to test it with bones and morphing.

Gregg "T.Rex"
02-23-2007, 03:39 PM
I have yet to test it with bones and morphing.

Don't... :)

I did some tests some betas ago and even with ultra low simple CC meshes, using bones or morphs everything was dead slow...
Haven't try that for a while, but i guess, won't have changed much, yet...

Gregg "T.Rex"
02-23-2007, 03:41 PM
BTW, that knife is awesome!!!

Surrealist.
02-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Don't know what's happening to the compression with uploads. I am within the limit. Anyway another knife image and some wires.

Surrealist.
02-23-2007, 04:17 PM
BTW, that knife is awesome!!!

Thanks. :)

Surrealist.
02-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Don't... :)

I did some tests some betas ago and even with ultra low simple CC meshes, using bones or morphs everything was dead slow...
Haven't try that for a while, but i guess, won't have changed much, yet...

We'll see I guess. I am going to give it a go. I can always convert to quads.