PDA

View Full Version : Building SpeedEdit System

lcress
02-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Just purchased SpeedEdit to replace my long in the tooth SpeedRazor. I am planning on building an new desktop system around SE.

What I liked about the SR system was that you had a separate card like a Perception or Matrox Digisuite to handle the video I/O and real time transitions, rather than relying totally on the CPU to handle it. Also, I could edit on an actual monitor rather than a little window on my desktop.

Can I set up SpeedEdit in a similar fashion? What boards will work with it? So far, reading the list, I saw a mention about using the Matrox RT.X100 board.

Also, is anybody using SE with a striped array?

So many questions . . .

TIA,

Lynn
Lost Creek Productions

wvp
02-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Lynn,
SpeedRazor? Wow, you are going to see such a HUGE difference in what can be done. I can't even imagine! If its not too late, you may be able to upgrade to VT4/5 from your speedrazor for not much more than the SE cost. I'm not sure, but worth looking into as you would get an analog I/O card.
AFAIK, you can use any analog I/O card you want - just that you need to use their software to capture the footage into one of the many formats that SE will work with.
Yes, you can use SE with a striped array. This results in more layers of realtime editing.
You can edit using a real monitor, to do this (with SE) you need to connect a firewire deck (possibly even a camcorder) that can pass the incomming signal out to a monitor.
Follow NT's recomendations for your PC and you will have no trouble with real time transitions - in fact pretty much everything will be real time. I can't even begin to tell you how much more you will be able to do!

lcress
02-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the reply, Jeff. Using firewire out just seems like overkill to feed a monitor, let alone the burden on the CPU. Even with dual core, I'm a firm believer that anything you can do with a card instead of bothering the CPU just makes sense.
I'll give the firewire out to the deck/monitor over the weekend.

In my current setup, I have SE loaded on my laptop which is a Dell Precision M70, 2.26GHZ Intel M and 2 GB of RAM. I have noticed that audio tends to drag at times - which bothers me. Which is why I know I need to upgrade my desktop system.

ted
02-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Using firewire out just seems like overkill to feed a monitor,
I agree, that's why as soon as VT5 comes out I'll be snatching it up. But for the mean time, it's an option that gives me HD on my more powerful desktop.

Matt Drabick
02-24-2007, 02:48 PM
You can also the ADS AV-LINK to capture analog video and audio and also connect to an NTSC video monitor.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems

wvp
02-26-2007, 06:46 AM
... I'm a firm believer that anything you can do with a card instead of bothering the CPU just makes sense...
Then you should look at something other than Newtek products.

Newtek is a big fan of utilizing the increasing power of the PC, rather than requiring its customers to purchase a new card everytime they improve the product.

lcress
02-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Then you should look at something other than Newtek products.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I am not impressed with SE. In fact I think its the best editor I've seen. I tried Premiere, Vegas, Avid Express, Final Cut and some others and SE is what felt right to me. Its a great piece of code at an excellent price - hats off to NewTek!

Newtek has given me the ability to work in a field that I enjoy without major investments in hardware.

Maybe I'm just a little nervous about doing a long format piece and having the CPU hiccup during a dump to tape. Anyway, I'm kind of feeling my way and asking advice as I go, as I'm sure we all are.

BTW, I plan to load SE on a dual Xeon system we have here at the office and see what she can do.

As far as I can gather from what you all have told me, is that all that's needed for a SE system, is at least a dual core, at least 1GB Ram (2GB for HD), and any run of the mill firewire card. A stripped array would be needed for long fomat work.

I tried the firewire out to my deck and monitor over the weekend and saw no loss of performance. I'm encouraged that I am on the right track and have made the right choice with SE.

wvp
02-27-2007, 06:32 AM
Even papa Final Cut is software based.
The benifits of an array is that you can edit more layers in realtime - weather your video is 2 minutes or 2 hours should not make much difference using one drive or an array.
Follow the NT specs and you should be fine.

On a side note - I took 4 mov files (10 sec each) that were 1/2 rez. I layered and rotated them all. SE played it all fine, but I did notice the render bar would re-render on every little change I would make. I'm running a Dual Xeon 2.4, 1gb ram, using 4 IDE striped drives.

Lightwolf
02-27-2007, 07:06 AM
...but I did notice the render bar would re-render on every little change I would make...
You can change the number of realtime layers in your prefs, it does require a bit of trial and error to find out how much your machine can handle. SE will then only render if you reach that limit.

Cheers,
Mike

lcress
03-01-2007, 07:39 PM
You can change the number of realtime layers in your prefs

Where exactly is that? I looked in Windows, Preferences and didn't see a selection for number of layers.

Lightwolf
03-02-2007, 03:12 AM
Where exactly is that? I looked in Windows, Preferences and didn't see a selection for number of layers.
Right on page 97 of the docs... the setting is called BG rendering profile.

Cheers,
Mike