PDA

View Full Version : New LightWave Profile - Christopher Stewart

Kurtis
02-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Interview with Christopher Stewart, Stargate SG1/Atlantis
February 22, 2007

Quite possibly best known for the largest independent LightWave-focused site on the internet, Flay.com (http://www.flay.com), Christopher Stewart is far from being skilled merely at putting together databases and news bites. He also serves as the Digital Effects Supervisor for Stargate SG1/Atlantis's in-house VFX department in Vancouver. During their season hiatus, Christopher gave us some insight into his history and duties on the longest running sci-fi show on television.
Full profile... (http://www.lightwave3d.com/profiles/ChristopherStewart)

Qexit
02-22-2007, 11:03 AM
It's a great profile, long overdue but could you please do something to correct the statement in the opening paragraph ?

"his history and duties on the longest running sci-fi show on television."

To the best of my knowledge, Christopher does not and has never worked on 'Doctor Who' which is officially the longest running sci-fi show on television in the World with 44 years on the clock :D

Beaker
02-22-2007, 11:14 AM
I don't know if you can count all the various Dr. Who series as one continuous show. :D

iconoclasty
02-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Depends how you want to define "longest running". I would say that needs to be consecutive. Just as I don't consider BSG as running for 29 years.

Qexit
02-22-2007, 11:43 AM
The original run of Doctor Who was from 1963 through to 1989, that's 26 years without a break. Anyway you choose to look at it that leaves Stargate way, way back in with the also-rans :D

In any case, I can't see the Guinness Book of Records changing their listing for longest running TV Sci-fi series any time in the near or even quite distant future. Stargate is just the longest running TV sci-fi series to come out of North America/Canada. :thumbsup:

iconoclasty
02-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Stargate is just the longest running TV sci-fi series to come out of North America/Canada

Does anything else even count?

nthused
02-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Well, no matter on run length...

Kudos Christopher - and nice work on Stargate...which, I think, is running in HD on UniversalHD stations for those of you who have the opportunity to watch. Very cool.

Beaker
02-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Kudos Christopher - and nice work on Stargate...which, I think, is running in HD on UniversalHD stations for those of you who have the opportunity to watch. Very cool.

Seems to me that's what should really count here. Sad to see this great show come to an end.

Kurtis
02-22-2007, 07:28 PM
I think there's a lot of concern going on in a number of venues over what's really just an arguable way of wording the sentence about Stargate SG-1's length of run status.

It seems we've developed a number of opinions.

The original run of Dr. Who was longer than 10 years, so the sentence is wrong.
The original run of Dr. Who ended 18 years ago, so it is no longer "on television", and the sentence is right.
The new Dr. Who series should count towards the original series run, totaling 44 years, so the sentence is wrong.
The new series can't count toward the original series run any more than the new Battlestar Galactica series can count toward that original series. They are separate shows, with separate runs, so the sentence is right.

Personally, as someone who never saw a complete episode of Dr. Who before the current series (just never "got it" before now), I find it fascinating at an intellectual level to see the passion that this has generated, and I've now learned a lot of the details of the original series run I was unaware of before.

No one that proof read this profile was aware that this was a point that could even be considered arguable. Since we're profiling work on a Sci-Fi Channel show, we used Sci-Fi Channel marketing statements. Regardless, we feel this debate has taken attention away from what's really important here, a great LightWave artist, his work and his enormous contributions to the LightWave community, and we feel that should change.

In the morning, the sentence in question will be changed to "longest running sci-fi show on American television", in hopes that this will appease all sides and get the dialogue back on track. We'd like to think the LightWave community is big enough for fans of both Stargate SG-1 and Dr. Who. :thumbsup:

Flay
02-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Man, I would love to have VFX claims on the Doctor. Or just have been one of the guys sweating away in a Cyberman suit... But alas.

To clear matters up, the record reads something like:

"Longest Consecutive Running Sci-Fi TV Show"

There's a plaque from the "book of records" people in the production office, I'll take a peek tomororw. Dr. Who must have taken "breaks" of some sort I guess. Hey, I'm just a working stiff, what do I know.

Cheers,

Christopher

It's a great profile, long overdue but could you please do something to correct the statement in the opening paragraph ?

"his history and duties on the longest running sci-fi show on television."

To the best of my knowledge, Christopher does not and has never worked on 'Doctor Who' which is officially the longest running sci-fi show on television in the World with 44 years on the clock :D

Kurtis
02-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Christopher,

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll have our web guy modify the profile to match in the morning.