PDA

View Full Version : 3d file translators

Otterman
02-22-2007, 02:13 AM
Im bombarded with cad files mostly parasolid XT files, but also WRL, igis etc.. Anyone recomment a good translator so I can convert these into manageable OBJ or 3DS files. Ideally this would be a mac program! Want to bin my pc-its a paper weight!

Ta

voriax
02-22-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure any one program will do them all.
MOI will open Iges files and export them to STL or OBJ. www.moi3d.com
Accutrans will open WRL files and export them to LWO format.
Dunno about parasolid files.. might be cad-only?
Not sure if you can get any of these as mac programs..

3dworks
02-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Im bombarded with cad files mostly parasolid XT files, but also WRL, igis etc.. Anyone recomment a good translator so I can convert these into manageable OBJ or 3DS files. Ideally this would be a mac program! Want to bin my pc-its a paper weight!

Ta

formz (www.formz.com) has a lot of very good CAD format importers and exporters and solid export to LWO. runs on OSX and windows.

for the rest i've heard good things about polytrans from okino (on windows).

markus

mike_stening
02-22-2007, 05:31 PM
polytrans is a brilliant bit of software (shame it windows only) and can translate pretty much anyfile format though for some formats you do have to pay extra on the liscence. a while ago i had to work with some IGES files and it handled it very well though be warned some of the files that are produced can be very large indeed due to the amount od detail used within some CAD files. I've not used the polytrans software for a while now so i'm sure it has got better than it was (not that it was bad though)

Otterman
02-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Ta Guys- im gonna look into these. :thumbsup:

I contacted a guy about polytrans + granite/pack, he says this runs nicely on a mac using a windows emulator! ooo, dunno about that! Have to see it for myself.

Formz being native to mac maybe the answer!

Will post to this again and submit my findings.

bjornnilsson
02-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Ta Guys- im gonna look into these. :thumbsup:

I contacted a guy about polytrans + granite/pack, he says this runs nicely on a mac using a windows emulator! ooo, dunno about that! Have to see it for myself.

Formz being native to mac maybe the answer!

Will post to this again and submit my findings.
Polytrans works great in Parallels/Windows on my MacBook Pro!

dsol
03-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I've used Polytrans as well, and it's an excellent application. The authors provided me with excellent support too, which I greatly appreciated.

Deep Exploration is supposed to be very good as well, but like Polytrans it may be windows-only.