PDA

View Full Version : what's up with modeler hanging up???

mindseye
02-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Ok... I have been using LW since v5. I have 3 computers running LW 8.5 ...no problem. Now I have 9 installed and with each computer something gets all messed up with Modeler hanging up...taking a long time to open. Taking along time to load and object...then not letting you save the object...then crashing on closing modeler. I have tried all the "fixes" like deleting all your configs or editing them. Doesn't always work. It is not my systems so please no one tell me it is. (I've had "tech" support tell me it's my computer before) I know better. I don't want to disable the hub. Is there a real fix for this or just patches???? [comment removed by the moderators]. I have work I need to get done. I have also updated the USB dongle drivers....down graded them ... reinstalled them... repeatedly. I have even totally uninstalled LW completely and reinstalled. Heck I even totally wiped windows off one computer and started from scratch. I need some real answers here........... also.. if you don't have any real suggestions please do not reply. Last time I asked for real help I got a bunch of people that think LW is perfect and can't screw up bashing me for suggesting there was a problem.

jasonwestmas
02-21-2007, 02:40 PM
I do get hang ups but I've always have gotten hangups with lightwave since 7.0 when switching between environments using the hub. It happens randomly and without reason and not frequently. I don't know what to tell you if it happens all the time to ya.

Bytehawk
02-21-2007, 05:06 PM
I suggest you get into contact with NT support on the phone and work out the problems with them, this might have a simple solution like another program installed messing with the way LW works (Norton stuff comes to mind).

btw have you tried running LW without the hub ? With custom configs ?

mindseye
02-22-2007, 07:40 AM
thanks... yeah tried that. No workie. Last time I tried to work with NT support wasn't very productive. They just kept saying it was my system. I got some great form email responses that basically suggested system fixes to try (which I did). Still no work. Then tech support stopped "supporting".
Now I have 3 systems... all different... all have the same problem with LW9.
8.5 has the problem too, just not as bad. It works fine until you plug in another USB devise, then LW doesn't work. If you close everything down remove you USB stuff.. then put it back with the LW dongle last..then fire up LW it works. It's funny how this isnt' a "bug" but sooo many have trouble with it. I wish they would get rid of the dongle key idea all together.

Tom Wood
02-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Hi Curtis,

Your mentioning the USB stuff brings to mind a problem my system has with the USB devices. I have four USB ports, one used for a dongle for Mirage. If I turn my USB connected printer on before booting the computer, the entire computer hangs at startup. I also have to turn the printer off before shutting down the computer, or it goes into restart. I'd asked about it over at the Mirage forum and guru (Steve Bowie) noted that the order that USB devices load will sometimes do this. You might try rearranging the locations of the USB devices in different USB ports, or not turning on any device that has a power switch until after everything else loads up. And yeah, get NT support on the phone rather than email.

I'm running LW 8.5 that came with VT4, so the VT card is the dongle for this version. I've noticed that opening Modeler first, then Layout leads to a more stable performance. Dunno why.

Dodgy
02-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Just a quick suggestion.. Try deleting the HUB.cfg and see if that fixes it.

mindseye
02-22-2007, 08:25 AM
I tried deleting config files including the hub file. It worked for a while on two of the computers and on it doesn't work at all. I used to own VT for a while too and LW on there was solid. There is something they changed in version 9that really is the problem. Right now I am running 9 with the hub disabled.. it's a hastle but I'm able to keep income coming in. As a professional this kinda stuff really makes me have to consider other options... as much as I hate too. I should be careful what I'm saying here... last time I vented a bit of frustration I got a PM from chuck at NT... let's just say he strongly suggested what things are "ok" to say on here and what things "are not" and that I comply with that or be removed from the forum. (oops! did I say that out loud?)

Bytehawk
02-22-2007, 09:30 AM
try deleting HUB.cfg, start layout with the hub and quit again. That way you get a fresh HUB.CFG

then write protect that file (read only)

works for me.

Chuck
02-22-2007, 10:55 AM
I should be careful what I'm saying here... last time I vented a bit of frustration I got a PM from chuck at NT... let's just say he strongly suggested what things are "ok" to say on here and what things "are not" and that I comply with that or be removed from the forum. (oops! did I say that out loud?)

Hi, Curtis!

Yes, you said it out loud. :)

I try to retain all correspondence; I looked and don't find a PM to you in the time since this rev of the forum started up, but within that time period I do find that I emailed you about the reaction to your forum post at that time, to encourage you to work with Tech Support to try to resolve the issues you were having. In your reply you expressed your disappoint at the forum reaction to your announcing that you were so upset with LightWave you were going to switch applications, as you were requesting assistance.

You also said you didn't think you'd use the forums any more and I encouraged you to continue and give them a chance. I did acknowledge that some comments tend to distract forum folks from simply addressing a problem, that many do not understand the need to vent that a level of frustration may bring, and did observe that some communications can be more productive when private.

I did not at any point suggest or discuss that anything would cause your removal from the forum. My concern was to get you the assistance you needed and to let you know that your frustrations were acknowledge and need to vent understood, at least from this quarter. I can resend those emails for your review.

As much as you may feel discouraged with regard to our Tech Support, I would like you to give NewTek the opportunity to work with you to identify the source of any issues you may be having. If indeed they do reside in the code and need to be addressed by development we can identify that and make certain to get that addressed, within the current cycle if possible. If they are not within the code, then it would most certainly be worthwhile to find that out and get to the source so that you have stable operation. I will, accordingly, ask Tech Support to get in touch with you.

One quick apology, as I did need to remove your v9.2 comment from your earlier post. Your interactions with v9.2 are under NDA and comments about v9.2 need to be restricted to the Open Beta forums, for now.

MiniFireDragon
02-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Some chipsets/motherboards have their own usb drivers, the ones with Windows usually works, but sometimes you need to use the driver for the motherboard to get full effeciency. Don't know if you tried that option yet, so just throwing it out in the open.

mindseye
02-22-2007, 11:10 AM
thanks MiniFD... I have tried that one already.

mindseye
02-22-2007, 11:26 AM
chuck...
My bad on the 9.2 post in the wrong area... sorry.
Thinking back on that event... I do now remember another member contacting me saying that they were removed for similar posts to mine.
Didn't my thread there get locked or removed or something?? I don't remember.

Now.. I do also remeber being belittled by many posters on that thread. Also I remember your messages to me being belittling as well....along with the feeling that I portrayed earlier in this thread.

As far as support contacting me. Last time they "contacted" me it was a form email letter with a bunch of generic system checks..which I had already gone through based on others suggestions. I don't remember getting any response back from support from that point.

There is obviously something going on with Hub and the dongle that isn't right. I have searched the forum for the issue and plenty people have had it for a while now. The only fixes I have seen are from the user end are just work arounds. Also on these forums other have said they have contacted NT support with no improvement. (I'm assuming they called like they said they did). I have notice this on non-NT forums as well.

My thought is.. if something is a problem for enough people.. maybe there is a problem.. and just maybe it would be a good idea to go down a different road than the USB dongle route or something. That way the client doesn't have to spend valuable time trouble shooting something that has been a known issue. True ? False?

mindseye
02-22-2007, 01:33 PM
ok... previously I tried updating the network card drivers as some suggested on here other threads. It didn't work. I just disabled them.. then removed them and then reinstalled the network drivers (built on motherboard). Then updated from there... now LW9 hub is working. We won't know for a couple of days of working if this fixed the problem. When I first installed LW9 it worked for almost 2 weeks before acting up. I hadn't changed anything on the computer during that time. So it does appear that there is some conflict between Hub and/or dongle and the network card. This is an issue only with LW 9 on my computers. LW 8.5 is working fine on all my computers as long as you don't plug a USB device in when the LW dongle is plugged in. Then LW 8.5 comes up in discovery mode until you unplug and replug in the dongle

well see.......

Bytehawk
02-22-2007, 01:54 PM
if you can, once everything is up and running, make lwhub.cfg read only. LW9 had an issue with appending wrong data to the end of that file rendering it unreadable.

Dodgy
02-22-2007, 01:55 PM
I had a similar problem and found it to be my firewall which was at fault. I'd hoped it was the hub thing as the hub.cfg can become 'corrupted' and you can delete that without much other hassle.

What firewall are you using? I has problems with symantec's virus checker's built in firewall and switched to AVG and that sorted it at home. I found it was XP's built in firewall which was causing problems at work so I reconfigured and it fixed things there.

I haven't had a problem since in either case, so you might want to fiddle with that.

mindseye
02-22-2007, 02:05 PM
k.. I have it functioning now... but I am importing a 3ds file from CAD and merging points, unifying polys then saving as lwo format. That's my typical flow.. doing it for years. Now when I do that when I try to reopen that file it crashes modeler everytime on opening.. before it even trys to display it. I can open the file on one of my other computers just fine. It will open other large lwo files that I have done the same way...just the one I just created is the problem... and only on that machine.....

mindseye
02-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Xp.. firewall... I have it disabled at the moment.. still crashy

zapper1998
02-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Had the same issue once, Modeler hanging, come to find out my puter some how, some way, lost the USB driver inf file.
So the puter loaded its own compatable drivers, that were close to the original drivers.
And I found this out when I tried to plug in my Backup USB HD Drive, it just hung there for awhile.
So looked in the Device Manager and found out the drivers were different, hmmmmm.
Found the latest drivers on Intels website, loaded, good to go again.....

How the Puter lost the usb drivers I will never know, interesting........

jasonwestmas
02-22-2007, 02:17 PM
How fresh is your install of xp? Probably pretty fresh since you seem to be stuck with this problem for a while?

mindseye
02-22-2007, 03:06 PM
yeah.. I just wiped out the HD and reinstalled XP just to be sure... I just put XP on then got it up to date.. then installed LW9... and that's all that's on there.

mindseye
02-22-2007, 03:07 PM
I have also tried various versions of the dongle driver... new and old. Wierd thing is that it fixed it one time... then not after that....

MiniFireDragon
02-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Sounds like a potientally corrupted winsock. There are tools on the web that can fix this issue.

This program lets you see what is tied into the network side:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

And also remove the nasty ones that shouldn't belong there (and yes, there are some that do belong in the list, usually 3).

On that page you will also find a winsock repair tool (use the middle one of the three for Windows XP) which will completely rebuild the winsocket. This takes things a step further beyond delteing and reinstalling the network drivers.

As for firewalls, beware of Mcafee's firewall. I found it actually will stay in the system and running after mcafee has long since been terminated (as well as zonealarm). Also mcafee likes to turn itself on occasionally (actually think this is due to power loss).

mindseye
02-23-2007, 09:50 AM
hey thanks!... interesting idea.... I'll mess with that today.

regularfry
03-27-2007, 02:21 AM
Just a quick note - I just experienced exactly the same symptoms as you. Try rolling back update KB929338. So far it seems to have fixed the problem for me.

talkfist
03-28-2007, 01:43 PM
I've been getting modler hangups on starting almost every use. When I reboot it usually starts. I never heard a word back from NT support now after e-mailing them about a week ago so I frankly don't know what the drill is. I'm new to LW after about an 8 year hiatus, so this is proving a frustrating start. My system is old though and offline so I do generally do web fixes or the gobs of updates that MS throws out every week. How many times do I need to download that "certification that your windows copy is valid" download anyway!!!

Wish modeler would behave though.

Anyone know what g400cd.dll is? That comes up in the error info modname g400cd.dll - there was a CD in the drive during the last crash wonder if that's a problem?