PDA

View Full Version : Warning to those considering the beta...

paulrus
02-21-2007, 09:46 AM
I just got off the phone with Newtek and I think this is worth commenting on.

I have 3 Lightwave licenses, 2 PC and 1 Mac. I downloaded and installed the beta on 1 PC license that I use at home. I have been unsuccessfully trying to download and install the beta on my work machine as well. (I could download and install it, but I couldn't register it and get a key)

Apparently Newtek only allows ONE BETA LICENSE per user and the rep said there is NO WAY to change this.

So, if you choose to participate, make sure you know what machine you want to be the beta machine well in advance. I was under the mistaken impression that you could install a beta for every copy of 9 you own. Customer service specifically says this is not possible. Therefore I've installed it on a machine I only occasionally use at night and on weekends.

Yes, I probably could swap dongles and license.keys to make it work, but IMHO I shouldn't have to go through the trouble.

Paul

StereoMike
02-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Yes, I probably could swap dongles and license.keys to make it work, but IMHO I shouldn't have to go through the trouble.

But you only need a dedicated lw92 beta folder on each machine (apart from your regular lw folders). You put the beta license key in there. And voila, you only need to swap the dongle, simple as pluging in a usb stick!
The regular license key stays in your lw9.0 folder and won't interfere. Just make sure, you start the beta with the -c option (by making a shortcut on your desktop) as described in the release notes.
I just drop new betas in that folder and the shortcut + license file still works, I can use a new build instantly.

mike

paulrus
02-21-2007, 05:49 PM
As someone who's had a USB dongle get broken by taking it to and from work, I will never do that again.

I don't mind that this is NT's policy - I just think it should be in big bold letters in the download area so you can be informed before downloading and installing.

NTComm
02-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Yes, at this time, it is only possible to register for the open beta program once per registered user.