PDA

View Full Version : Warning for those migrating from Windows to Mac

kopperdrake
02-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Well...now have my first Mac Mini in the studio to take over the day to day tasks, and it's a blessed breath of frsh air! However, trying to migrate Adobe products is a pain. I have discovered that Adobe will not allow you to move your licence across platforms - once installed on Windows you can only use that licence on another Windows machine. The only way to do this is to upgrade to the next version.

Thanks Newtek for not doing that to us :thumbsup:

Puguglybonehead
02-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Maxon also makes their user licenses (C4D, Bodypaint) platform specific, and charge a large ransom to switch platforms. One reason I switched to Lightwave.

Sarford
02-21-2007, 11:56 AM
hmmm Adobe is becomming rapidly the 'microsoft' of the graphic industry

al3d
02-21-2007, 12:42 PM
acxtually..CS3 will be cross platform

kopperdrake
02-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Even once you've activated it?

al3d
02-21-2007, 02:58 PM
from what i'm told by my dealer,yes. but he's not the all mighty of knowledge..:)

eblu
02-21-2007, 02:59 PM
photoshop IS cross platform, and Adobe IS the Microsoft of graphics... in fact they are probably bigger (when you normalize them in their respective markets) MS tried to get into graphics before, and adobe spanked em. Now they are locking horns over the stuff that drives Big web sites, the stuff adobe reportedly purchased macromedia to get a hold of, and that MS plans to use as a wedge to take over everything (hardware software etc... ) that drives the web. its going to be ugly. can't we all just get along? ;)

kopperdrake
02-22-2007, 02:58 AM
I think he means that it's cross platform even after you've activated it - do you mean the same thing eblu? I have to admit not having tried to reactivate my Adobe CS2 suite on my Mac since activating it on my PC but Adobe told me it was not possible. Does Photoshop have a different EULA?

As far as MS analogies go though, the biggest difference I find between the two is that Adobe stuff actually works ;) Except for Bridge - that seems to eat resources like there's no tomorrow.

mrwombat
02-22-2007, 02:33 PM
I think he means that it's cross platform even after you've activated it - do you mean the same thing eblu? I have to admit not having tried to reactivate my Adobe CS2 suite on my Mac since activating it on my PC but Adobe told me it was not possible. Does Photoshop have a different EULA?

As far as MS analogies go though, the biggest difference I find between the two is that Adobe stuff actually works ;) Except for Bridge - that seems to eat resources like there's no tomorrow.
Hace you emailed or called adobe to see if they will issue a new serial? I Have head that they will in certain circumstances and allow you to download cs2 or cs3, but thats not confirmed.

loki74
02-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Hmm.. ineresting. I dont know about the newer versions, buy my licenses of Macromedia Studio MX2004 weren't supposed to transfer. The policy was that you were allowed one platform switch. ie, I activated on Windows, switched to Mac, transferred, but now I can't switch back (ha, like I'd do that anyway lol).

This is a policy I really dont understand. I mean you can transfer a license from PC to PC or Mac to Mac easily, why not across?

pantone
02-28-2007, 08:07 AM
I'd give them a call. They don't like to put this info on their site for some reason.

We upgraded all of our windows PS licenses to Mac a few years ago and it was $50 per license plus the cost of the upgrade to a newer version of the software.

Mr Maze
02-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Im surprised Adobe hasn't made their own OS yet. LOL