PDA

View Full Version : Simple Modeling Question:

Reuben M
02-21-2007, 06:16 AM
I have a logo graphic comprising a letter B made with a brush, from which I wish to create an object. I have it as an eps file and can easily extrude it. The problem is with the nested polygons-- the "holes," as it were, enclosed by the letter. The letter appears as a block without the cutout areas. I have tried Boolean operations and both types of drilling, with no success: the most common error message is that "internal buffers are too small to complete the requested operation." Any suggestions? Is there any way I can delete the front and back faces of the associated polygons? All help will be gratefukky appreciated.

You may reply to me personally at
[email protected]

BigHache
02-21-2007, 08:52 AM
If checking Auto AxisDrill in the Import EPS dialogue doesn't work you could separate the brush strokes so they are completely seperate objects.

How are you doing the boolean? Are you extruding the knockout only then Subtracting from the base? If you don't extrude I'm not sure the boolean will work.

Reuben M
02-21-2007, 09:18 AM
I can import the eps as closed lines and Polys, or as spline curves; as splines, it extrudes perfectly but has no front or back face (any suggestions?), while as polys, I can't use Boolean or either of the drill operations ("internal buffers too small"). It's a trademark, so I'm reluctant to hand-trace the brushstrokes, and at any rate, selecting the more than 1600 points in correct order would be nearly impossible.

Bytehawk
02-21-2007, 10:11 AM
check my site for a great tutorial on this
(even if I say so myself) :)

perrydrake
02-21-2007, 03:22 PM
if you post the eps file i can try to do it in formZ to export to LW. formZ handles these problems a little better i think.

Reuben M
02-21-2007, 06:07 PM
if you post the eps file i can try to do it in formZ to export to LW. formZ handles these problems a little better i think.

Thanks! Will do on Monday Hong Kong time!

R:help:

Reuben M
02-26-2007, 04:50 AM
Where is the best place for me to post an eps for your use?

Reuben:lightwave

Reuben M
02-26-2007, 06:36 AM
check my site for a great tutorial on this
(even if I say so myself) :)

I've followed the steps in your tutorial and am met withe the all-too-familiar error message; "internal buffers too small for requested operation." I'm running Lightwave 8 on a G4 iMac and have never encountered this problem before, but now am encountering it every time I try a drill or a boolean operation. Any suggestions? Is there a way to enlarge the internal buffers?

Thanks

Reuben M
:question:

Bytehawk
02-26-2007, 07:23 AM
this is probably because the geometry you ceated by importing the eps in LW has too high a pointcount for the stencil to work. Try splitting the big polygons (select polygon, switch to poin mode, select the points where the split needs to go - like in the middle of your logo, press ctrl/l)

perrydrake
02-26-2007, 05:20 PM
you can post the file here using the attach files pull down menu in the reply page.

you can also email it to me.

Reuben M
02-27-2007, 12:47 AM
you can post the file here using the attach files pull down menu in the reply page.

you can also email it to me.

Don't think I can post an eps here but will happily email it to you. Your address?:newhere:

Reuben M
02-27-2007, 04:09 AM
I can't be the first Lightwave user to need to extrude a hand-drawn letter B. There are numerous Boolean and drilling tools, none of which function in my case. Have tried executing Bytehawk's tutorials using the file supplied and still receive "internal buffers too small for requested operation" error message; I now think it is truly a memory allocation problem and not related to point count, as I'm using LW 8.3 which is just about as old as my iMac G4 (memory maxed out to 1gb). Anyone have suggestions on how to enlarge the "internal buffers"?

perrydrake
02-27-2007, 12:19 PM
i sent you a pm with my email.

Reuben M
03-07-2007, 10:17 AM
i sent you a pm with my email.

Thanks for your offer of help... any success witht the files I sent?

Reuben:stumped:

kopperdrake
03-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Dude, I can have a quick look for you if you like? You'll find my email address at the site in my sig. I guess if I can get it to LW as an object you can then extrude that's ok?

Giacomo99
03-07-2007, 08:02 PM
"I can't be the first Lightwave user to need to extrude a hand-drawn letter B."

Well, I had to do an "R" once, but that was a obviously a totally different job. ;)

The problem is probably that you're using a huge number of points in your EPS file. If you're working with a simple extrusion of the logo, there's no need I can see for that much detail at any resolution, even if the original logo is hand-drawn.

My advice would be to try and use "Merge Points" with a fixed distance to reduce the amount of geometry on the original logo. There may be some kind of control over the resolution of the logo in the Lightwave EPS importer (I do this kind of work in other apps, so I've never checked.) Failing that, you can go into Illustrator (or whatever drawing program) and just create a simpler version.

Good luck.

Reuben M
03-08-2007, 04:27 AM
Have tried all of the above solutions, tutorials, suggestions, etc, incl. importing simpler version from Illustrator and hand tracing the logo with fewer than 270 points, and keep returning to the same wall: "Internal buffers to small for requested operation." Is it just because I'm using a G4 iMac? (memory is maxed to 1gig...)

perrydrake
03-08-2007, 01:47 PM
i never received any files. sorry, try again.