PDA

View Full Version : Particles Effects For A Tornado

Paul Orwig
02-19-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm trying to do a Tornado scene in LW9.0 and I have my scene all set up the way I want. The problem is, by the time my tornado reaches my house object it slows down considerably. The house object is made up of small bricks. I'm basically trying to get the same result seen in the movie "TWISTER" when the house gets destroyed at the beginning of the movie. Do I need to get more memory or do I need to use streamer net to get multiple processors to get the job done? My PC is a Pentium 4 CPU, 3.00 GHz and 1 Gig of ram. What is the best way and fastest way to get this done?

benedict_ilagan
02-20-2007, 01:37 AM
There are so many ways to do this efx but i would try to fake a bit instead of using dynamic particles, i would model a cylinder in modeler with enough sides and segments....kill the polys, convert all the pnts to poly... give them some surface & jitter a bit. Save....send them to layout. In layout, create 4 nulls (namely center, base, rotate and axis)....& parent them to axis. Select your poly pnts and apply taper deformation as center and base. rotate null will serve as twister rotation and make it loopable, axis null would control the current twister position. You can also add more nulls as deformer such as bend, scale & more...... Hope it helps :) :D

ndrangesh
02-20-2007, 03:52 AM
hi dickie_ilagan
how do u use a null to bend objects
and for the debris flying do u use "fx linker" or is there any simple way of making papers wooden planks fly

Paul Orwig
02-20-2007, 10:33 AM
I am still new to LW and I will probably have to play with it. I now have a new problem, when I ran a DYNAMIC calculation, LAYOUT locks up and says,"Hard FX could now alloc memory." Surely LW can do all of this without doing what you mentioned above. Not to say that I disagree with you in anyway, I will provide my scene and LW objects when I get home from work and you and anyone else can look at it. The House object has a LOT of bricks, because I made the bricks to scale and I want the twister to rip the house apart.

PS. Thanks for your reply.

Paul

alifx
02-20-2007, 10:54 AM
how do u use a null to bend objects

I did this tutorial a looong time ago for a friend

it's about how to BEND object with nulls in layout
http://www.4shared.com/file/10024935/3c64da1f/bend_in_layout.html

Cheers ^_^

Paul Orwig
02-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the help. I will try my best to do what dickie ilagan said to do. And with the help of alifx with the link.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Still, I would like to know how to alloc memory.

Paul

Paul Orwig
02-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Sorry for the long delay. I was playing SOF2 on-line with my brother.

Here is the SCENE and OBJECTS for my Twister.

benedict_ilagan
02-22-2007, 04:16 AM
:D
I did this tutorial a looong time ago for a friend

it's about how to BEND object with nulls in layout
http://www.4shared.com/file/10024935/3c64da1f/bend_in_layout.html

Cheers ^_^

Here's another setup as an example to bending and taper objects as well... thanks to alifx for his initial setup. hope it helps :thumbsup: :) :D

http://www.4shared.com/file/11060967/73887555/bend_taper_in_layout.html

ndrangesh
02-22-2007, 04:38 AM
G'Day mate
you(thread starter) said you created everything to real world size. and if you run any physics on it it would take alot of time to render.
can this be done
do a miniature of the tornado scene
the whole scene should be 3m*3m
you can use the cameras zoom to make the scene look massive
is it practically possible or just no no
all comments welcomed

Paul Orwig
02-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Thank you all. I wil try this on the weekend and let you know what I've come up with.

Paul

benedict_ilagan
02-23-2007, 01:07 AM
Thank you all. I wil try this on the weekend and let you know what I've come up with.

Paul

In here i modified some of your settings and i added collision instead of scatter, a gravity and a hardfx. Hope it helps :D :D :D

benedict_ilagan
02-23-2007, 01:17 AM
In here i modified some of your settings and i added collision instead of scatter, a gravity and a hardfx. Hope it helps :D :D :D

Sori here's the link
http://www.4shared.com/file/11117364/3bd9635/Twister_23-07.html