PDA

View Full Version : is worleys G2 worth its money?

lukasdesign
02-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Hi there,

I'm wondering if g2 from worley labs si worth it's money?
what exactly can it do what not?
especially in combination with LW9?
I'm also using Fprime 2.1 is fully compatible with this renderer?

best regards

Dodgy
02-19-2007, 06:53 AM
G2 is compatible with fprime. As to whether it's useful anymore, it does have useful features, but you can replicate most things with nodes now.

lukasdesign
02-20-2007, 02:02 AM
so it may be worth a try!

Intuition
02-20-2007, 02:26 AM
May want to wait though. F-Prime is rumored to have an upgrade soon. March maybe?

If it can see nodes then g2 may not be that useful to you.

Yet, I can say that I still find reasons to break out old g2 now and again.

The blurred reflections, basic SSS, fresnel effects, are worth the price for me.

I never really got a good skin out of g2 but I never really tried to.

Most of the g2 preview options are much better when used with F-Prime.

What is neat is using G2 preview windows to watch the reflection only or radiosity only passes. It is strange that f-prime doesn't have the same funtionality in the preview window that g2 had as far as render passes are concerned.

I still mainly use g2 for blurred reflections or nicer fresnel effects, I think the price alone for these effects are worth it, others may disagree. Yet as Dodgy has stated these things are a bit faster and better quality with nodes even though g2 has its own look and feel when tackling these effects. F-Prime never seems to solve the reflection blurring as well as the LW engine does but the Lightwave engine takes forever to solve the G2 blurring but when it does it looks super. I'll post some examples tomorrow night.

I have a hunch f-prime 3 will make nodes viewable, so I would wait a month but, I am saying that as an owner of 2 licenses of g2.

:D

mav3rick
02-20-2007, 02:54 AM
g2 is good but once fp3 come and if it will work with nodes.. i dont see much of need for it... unless g2 become nodal

gatz
02-20-2007, 11:24 AM
The coolest thingabout G2, for me anyway, is the previewing of the individual channels. Being able to isolate surfaces, effects and the like is very helpful. That said, with nodes, FPrime, viper and G2 their needs to be a serious streamlining of the previewing options.

rg

SaturnX
02-20-2007, 12:31 PM
For the results, G2 offers speed.

Speedmonk42
02-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Ok this brings up a point, are there any plug-ins due to be crushed in the 9.x cycle?

Extent
02-20-2007, 04:41 PM
G2 also has an improved area light renderer, and to me at least it seems that G2 surfaces resolve faster and cleaner than non g2 surfaces.

Intuition
02-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Ok this brings up a point, are there any plug-ins due to be crushed in the 9.x cycle?

I'd say, and i don't think this goes against the NDA, that 9.2 and beyond code changes puts a lot of existing plug ins at least up for scrutiny for future compatibility since many new features will not be compatible with older plug ins but probably could be made to be but that all depends on the 3rd party developers willing to update their products.

Say for example, dynamic realities. They have a great physics plug in called Impact but I have had it crash like crazy with 8.5 and 9.0. I am betting with a little code update/optimize it would be more stable with newer releases.

I am under the impression that plugs being updated for 9.2 is a good thing and if they are not then they may fall off the map.

Bog
02-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Wait for the next version to ship, if you can.

Speedmonk42
02-20-2007, 06:04 PM
I'd say, and i don't think this goes against the NDA, that 9.2 and beyond code changes puts a lot of existing plug ins at least up for scrutiny for future compatibility since many new features will not be compatible with older plug ins but probably could be made to be but that all depends on the 3rd party developers willing to update their products.

Say for example, dynamic realities. They have a great physics plug in called Impact but I have had it crash like crazy with 8.5 and 9.0. I am betting with a little code update/optimize it would be more stable with newer releases.

I am under the impression that plugs being updated for 9.2 is a good thing and if they are not then they may fall off the map.

I guess I was thinking more like, what new features will LW bring in the coming cycle(s) that might be plug-in crushers. Not in the compatibility sense.

Instancing or Depth of Field say. Do the plug-ins stay ahead somehow?