PDA

View Full Version : A gift from HDRI3D magazine

gerardstrada
02-19-2007, 02:43 AM
Hi everybody,

HDRI3D magazine (http://www.hdri3d.com/) has had the niceness to share with all Lightwave community a very detailed tutorial about all tips and tricks to apply this lighting/surfacing technique in your own scenes to achieve quicker renders with a global illumination look.

We hope that you like it and find it useful!

http://www.hdri3d.com/xtra/11estrada/index.htm

Best Regards,

Gerardo

serge
02-19-2007, 05:51 AM
Bookmarked for later viewing. :)

Many thanks Gerardo for writing this tutorial. I'm sure I'll find it very useful.

LW3D
02-19-2007, 07:08 AM
thanks Gerardo..it is very useful.

Iain
02-20-2007, 05:23 AM
Call me cynical but doesn't this technique just over complicate something that render engines are making very simple?

I can't argue with the times you are getting (especially for animation, but then I'd imagine you have further complications) but the set up time must be huge.

CaptCarty
02-20-2007, 01:19 PM
great link, good reading.

gerardstrada
02-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Glad it helps guys!

That's a very valid question, Iain. If you can afford render times of real GI solutions, I guess you don't need it. But in the most production environments, we need to fake GI everyday and if you are accustomed to use bounce lights for example, you'll find this method more efficient and powerful. The time we need to set up an scene with this technique is commonly less than other techniques to fake GI. Let's see... the first example image of that article took me about 3 hours to set up (all, including the render), that was the second time I used the technique. I invested 3 hours and if we consider just one frame (not an animation), we saved hours compared with FPrime or LW radiosity. I'm aware that LW radiosity is much faster in these days and we should consider also that technique was not created for archviz but rather for a TV spot project, in where you have all details of each take carefully planned, so you know exactly which parts will be shown and which not; so the best advice that I could give is the same that I gave in the tutorial: "I propose to use it more with mixed techniques as a tool to reach the elusive objective of simulating GI successfully". This means that it's just another tool to reach our goal. We should choose when it can be useful according to an specific take or project or how comfortable we feel with it. We can mix it with local radiosity for some objects, we can mix it with IBL rigs, post-effects, spinning lights, bounce lights, FPrime, baked textures, frontprojections, or we can use it to solve the whole take. I use it almost in all my projects nowadays (and most of them are not interiors)

In case you need to fake GI, I encourage you to try it and see if it works for you :)

Gerardo