PDA

View Full Version : Particle FX Rocks and Dust motions Conveyor Belt

Wetty_za
02-19-2007, 02:09 AM
Hi there I need HELP.I have a scene in Lw8.3. I have a scene where I have rocks and dust on the ground. The dust and rocks will be moved or pushed by a machine that will scoop it up and load it onto a conveyor belt. I am using particle FX and I have set it up and have done so many test it is unreal. The problem I am having is that the rocks crowd towards the back of the scoop, they should generally fall evenly in the scoop and how do I fix this problem? Question 2 what is the best way to make a conveyor belt and animate and texture it thanks does anybody know

Costanel
02-19-2007, 02:24 AM
In what way doesn't it look realistic, can you post an animation?

For you conveyer belt:
http://www.premdesign.com/rel_tuts/tank_tutorial.htm

Wetty_za
02-19-2007, 04:21 AM
I have put some screen shots together you will see that there are 2 sets of particles red and green I have not textured them I suppose I must still get there just note that the particles fall @ the back of the scoop I am trying to get them evenly in the scoop see if you could help? I have dynamics on the scoop the loader and the floor and the floor is @ an angle and I have a gravity null all calculating

munky
02-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi there,

not sure about your particles, but if your conveyor is just one of those flat rubber types you could just animate a texture round it to make it look like it is moving, and use wind and the like to move your particles along it.

hope this is of some help

regards

paul

Costanel
02-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Maybe trying several calculation, and see if it somehow falls correctly could help.
Otherwise the Edit Tool could be handy, to move the anoying particles to the correct points.

Sorry, this seems like a case of editing and checking values, until you get the correct result.

Chrusion
02-22-2007, 02:46 PM
The problem appears to be that the scoop collision is pushing the particles away as it advances. Maybe add a lot of weight to them so they have more static inertia. Tell us what their Bounce value is. If 100 (default) then try 0 or if possible, go slightly negative and see what happens.

Also, if there is a sharp front edge to the scoop, move it just a tad under the surface of the ground so the particles see a smooth ramp up into the bucket rather than a hard transition edge.

Wetty_za
02-23-2007, 03:31 AM
hi there
tx for the response i will have to go and try more settings and im going to use the tips you guys gave me i will get back next week
my setting are as particle weight 0.8 and 0.1 and particle resistance 0.8 and 0.1 not much motion and interaction crowd crowd @ 150% and the scoop in bounce/power 100% with roughness @ o% but once i get what i kind of like should i then try the EditFX tab.I am also trying a similar simulation with rocks "little geomerty" HardFX. I suppose i will end up with so much editing in EditFX tab