PDA

View Full Version : F9 followed by 5 minute lockup -- anybody have a clue?

Wopmay
02-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Hi.

I have a scene that has suddenly started the habit of locking up for a while after an F9. It can take up to four or five minutes to get control back after hitting the (already irratating) "Continue" button.

Maybe it started after I did a test with radiosity on. Maybe not. (It's now off.) I seem to have done something. I just can't figure out what the heck LW is working on so hard for so long after a render.

Any clues as to what could be causing this would sure be welcome.

Thanks much...

LW 9 (998)
G5 Dual 2.5 Gig w/2.5 Gig of ram
ATI Radeon 9600

stealthoperator
02-19-2007, 09:10 AM
hm... I had similar problems too.

I had a scene with quite a bit particles and dynamics and a few expressions.
So if you have your radiosity settings very high, I can imagine that it needs a bit of time to precompute stuff...

Wopmay
02-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks, but the problem occurs after the render. The render happens immediately. It's after pressing the Continue button that LW locks up. So -- that sort of rules out pre-computing, no?

Radiosity is off and there are no voxels or particles or anything fancy.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Chilton
02-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi Wopmay,

1) Rule out all other applications thrashing the hard drive. This is the biggest problem MacOSX have, due to the threading model (which is great when things are working right). My favorite method of doing this is to open the terminal and type, 'top' and hit return. That will give you a realtime rundown of all of the apps currently running, and the resource utilization of each. Only the Top program, possibly Terminal, and Layout, should have values for the %CPU column.

2) Rule out Spotlight and Mail, and anything else that works with really large (or many small) files at one time. If Spotlight is indexing your drive, you'll be in a world of hurt when you try to do something CPU intensive like rendering. The Spotlight icon will have a tiny dot in its magnifying glass when it's indexing. Mail makes using any other app unusable here, but I suspect it's because I have very large mailboxes I never delete anything out of.

3) If this is still happening, let us know.

-Chilton

Chilton
02-19-2007, 03:45 PM
What you're describing actually sounds like LW dumping all of the vertex info it uses for rendering. Basically clean-up work.

-Chilton

Wopmay
02-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Hi, Chilton.

If I understand your message, the problem doesn't sound like it's any kind of expected behavior or even an issue with LW, and may be something in my system. At least I have a starting point.

Thanks. I'll give these things a try.

-- Wopmay

Wopmay
02-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Hmm. Here's a novice question. I have hidden some relatively large objects with Sub D surfaces and I'm using low poly versions (in the same object file) for testing motion. Would LW calculate all that sub d data on the hidden layers anyway?

Still, why would it take so long to dump the vertices -- unless maybe it's all getting cached to disk instead of ram? Or something like that...

Thanks.

-- W

toby
02-19-2007, 10:55 PM
It can really hang things up when you have subpatch objects with different subdivision levels for display and render - but you'd normally see a hang before as well as after the render. But try keeping those numbers the same.

Lots of geometry that's being deformed, and motion plugins are other things that come to mind -

Wopmay
02-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Really. Good tip. I do keep sub d at 0 for display and higher for render. But would this still be true if the geometry is hidden? In other words, I'm not dispalying it or rendering it at the moment.

Thanks.

-- w

toby
02-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Really. Good tip. I do keep sub d at 0 for display and higher for render. But would this still be true if the geometry is hidden?
Yea, sure is. It's when it's saying "Updating Geometry" that it's recalculating the subdivision - when display and render are set the same, the renderer takes it from OpenGL and you won't see that. You'll notice your render is a few seconds faster too

Wopmay
02-20-2007, 12:27 AM
It seems the lock up after render has resolved itself. I took the advice to shut down everything and created a brand new scene to use as a benchmark. When I went back to the big scene, the problem had vanished.

I'm glad to get back to work but I wish I had figured out what was going on.

It wasn't Spotlight, although that was a good suggestion. I don't think it was mail either. But something along those lines.

Thanks for the help.

w

toby
02-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Hmm, could it have been "Full Scene Parameter Evalutation"? That little feature screws up many things, and can be activated accidentally.

If you're still online Chilton, think you could remove the keyboard shortcut for FSPE from the UB? It's hard coded -

Wopmay
02-20-2007, 01:23 AM
Hmm, could it have been "Full Scene Parameter Evalutation"? That little feature screws up many things, and can be activated accidentally.

If you're still online Chilton, think you could remove the keyboard shortcut for FSPE from the UB? It's hard coded -
FSPE is off. I wondered what that stood for. Your message provoked a search of the help manual.

Ya learn something new every day, huh.

Now if I could just find that button that produces an occlusion pass automatically...

Thanks.

Wopmay
02-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks, Chilton and Toby for the dead-on advice.

Trying to re-create the long freeze after F9, I ultimately got an error message along the lines of "Not enough memory to draw polygons at this sub-division level."

If you'd like to see this message, don't turn off render display for an F10 or leave about fifty or so high def test frames in the viewer. Then for good measure, keep Photoshop running in the background and open the 200 frame sequence you are working on in QuickTime and play it while LW is still drawing the last 20 frames.

Presto-change-o, you're out of memory. Lightwave chokes. But only AFTER the render stops and only for a few minutes. What amazes me is that OSX never even blinked. The QuickTime ran smooth as glass.

I must be getting spoiled. The obvious never even occurred to me.

I still don't know why Lightwave would be redrawing sub d surfaces that are hidden but that's a question for another day.

-- W