PDA

View Full Version : i think i just cheated on lightwave...

borkus
02-18-2007, 07:46 PM
hello all. bought silo 1.4 yesterday. mainly for the displacement painting available in the 2.0.6beta. can't afford zbrush at the moment, so this will get me by until then. lightwave has an internal normal mapper, so this will be awesome. but the main modeller is very wings3d-like, and i'm sorta addicted right now. but i can't help but feel like i'm stumbling back into the dooryard at 6 in the morning from the local "entertainment" spot with my old lady standing at the door with her arms crossed and tapping her right foot... not that that's ever happened...

Nigel Baker
02-19-2007, 02:33 AM
Hi Borkus,

I doubt that there is anyone here who uses only
one software application, so don't feel weird about.
Its good to support other 3D modelers, just make sure you keep supporting LightWave too.

Regards,

tonybliss
02-19-2007, 02:39 AM
Borkus, I did the same with XSI but i did not get into it fully. Does that still qualify me as a cheat :confused: ????

Dodgy
02-19-2007, 02:56 AM
lightwave has an internal normal mapper, so this will be awesome.

Try this:
http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/NormalCast.html#NormalCast

colkai
02-19-2007, 02:59 AM
Wouldn't call it cheating, even I've got Silo and Hexagon2 (& Wings3D 'cause it's free), on my PC. Not put proper "time" intothem yet, but no harm in having the tool if it does the job.
I'd recommend grabbing Blender too, that's free and can be handy according to many.

Captain Obvious
02-19-2007, 05:05 AM
They're just tools. I don't recall signing a contract saying I'd never use anything else the day I bought Lightwave.

borkus
02-19-2007, 07:11 AM
too funny, you guys. i was just clowning around. fact is, i've had to use multiple programs since i started learning 3d. i started with wings and ac3d. wings being my favorite. actually, i still fire it up from time to time. can really hammer out a rough idea in that very quickly. wish that the guy would come out with a recent version. think this last one is about 2 years old if i remember correctly. but it's a freebie, so have to keep expectations to a minimum. i don't like to work for free. then went to blender. still have an aweful taste in my mouth from that. if they can ever getting that friggin' ui setup right, they will be dangerous. until then, i tread in there only if i have too. lightwave is, like i said in another thread, easily one of my favorite programs so far as far as interface and setup. but silo is my primary choice for hammering out the "complex" rough shape and adding displacement painting before exporting to lightwave.

colkai
02-19-2007, 08:18 AM
yeah, seems that way, I know Silo also has a customisable interface, (not sure about Hex2, didn't really put a lot of time into it).

If they had 'LW' based ones, might be easier to integrate them into the workflow. It's bad enough bouncing from LW to MB, I keep forgetting which key to press, which can be a disaster if your working in LW wit ha rig after using 'r' for rotate in MB. :p ;)

masterjedi
02-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Don't feel bad... I have hardly touched modeler since I bought Modo :)

jin choung
02-20-2007, 10:20 PM
actually, i did the very same thing - i got silo to be a poor man's zbrush/mudbox.

but it turns out that i maybe coulda gone to a completely free route:

have you checked out blender recently? unfrickin' believable.

and yeah, if you do this stuff long enough, you eventually have to touch a wide variety of apps. very delightfully promiscuous.

but when all is said and done and when it's time to turn in, i'll always lay my head on the lap of my lovely lightwave.

jin

tonybliss
02-21-2007, 03:11 AM
jin man ... so true ... so very true
well put :)

DiedonD
02-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Man your all just some Playboy, Polygamistic Kazanova's. How can you live by yourself with all this normal to cheat on the faithful Lightwave!!! Did she ever cheated on YOU!!! Huh!! DID SHE!!! She always stood there, and just because she's unable to cheat on you, for varios reasons, you are taking the advantage heavily on LW, and cheating her badly, and furthermore appear as if its all normal to cheat!!

For those who may not know me, Im beeing heavily sarcastic. Practically speaking theres noway you can use LW only even if you wanted to. You need an operating system to begin with, which is an app. Then depending what you will do, you oughta come up with scenes, and you just gotta edit them here and there anytime. But appart from an operating system, if your gonna produce as linear of voiceless scenes as possible, or produce pictures, only then you could use LW only, if you assume of course that plugins are part of LW, and that Paint just wont count in painting textures on.

tonybliss
02-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Diedond man, as you said with apps its impossible to cheat.

... and who said LW in the earlies did not cheat on us ... she gave her **** to Luxology (Modo was the love child), but with the new technology she has a new ****. hope it stays faithful this time around :devil:

Bog
02-21-2007, 06:47 AM
What's a ****?

tonybliss
02-21-2007, 08:11 AM
t w a .....
its usually on a female

no more clues :D