PDA

View Full Version : OT:PC to Mac migration of Outlook data

kopperdrake
02-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Hey guys :) Sorry to ask here but after yet another problem with an IE update that's causing IE, Outlook 2003 and Flash MX to crash on loading on my Shuttle PC, I'm transfering over to one of those dinky Mac Mini things as a first step to total Mac migration. It's mainly my 2D work computer, so Adobe and Macromedia stuff, as well as my email, and I was wondering if any of you had had any experience of transfering PC contacts, emails, calendar and notes from Outlook 2003 to a Mac equivalent? What software comes with a Mac for the above (or is that also MS Works?). Just trying to pre-empt any problems I may have. I can't actually open my Outlook on my PC anymore but I do have the pst file and email folders backed up.

Thanks for any advice - can't wait for the excuse to update my 3D computer to PC too ;)

Bytehawk
02-18-2007, 02:37 PM
you should be able to export and import as a csv, database or excell

you could also just transfer the full .pst database file to the new computer and just point outlook to it (options-email settings- data files or something). This can bring some trouble along though (like double in- and out boxes etc...)

swpspce
02-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey guys :) Sorry to ask here but after yet another problem with an IE update that's causing IE, Outlook 2003 and Flash MX to crash on loading on my Shuttle PC, I'm transfering over to one of those dinky Mac Mini things as a first step to total Mac migration. It's mainly my 2D work computer, so Adobe and Macromedia stuff, as well as my email, and I was wondering if any of you had had any experience of transfering PC contacts, emails, calendar and notes from Outlook 2003 to a Mac equivalent? What software comes with a Mac for the above (or is that also MS Works?). Just trying to pre-empt any problems I may have. I can't actually open my Outlook on my PC anymore but I do have the pst file and email folders backed up.

Thanks for any advice - can't wait for the excuse to update my 3D computer to PC too ;)

try http://www.littlemachines.com/
they have a little app for $10 which will transfer/ translate your outlook *.pst file into the respective Mail system. I used it a couple of years ago - not problems there. If I recall, O2M does all the conversion check their website carefully...

kopperdrake
02-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks for that guys :) Looks like I'd need to install Outlook on another PC in order to save the stuff out via O2M, but that's no real problem :) Hehe, I'm excited! Haven't used a Mac since OS7 on my old IIci!

John the Geek
02-18-2007, 06:06 PM
You need to convert the .pst to an .mbox format for use in Mac OS X Mail. there are a few utilities to do it.

Once you have an .mbox file you can just import it in Mail.

kopperdrake
02-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Oh lovely :D I'm picking it up tomorrow...the desk space has been cleared and I'm jumping up and down like a kid at Christmas! Daft really but I've wanted to start shifting from Windows for a while and it's great to put the plan into action. I may even treat myself to one of those Might Mice.

So will the .mbox format keep all of my notes, folders and calendar data intact? Does anyone recommend a good smart phone that works well with their Mac. I currently use a Windows smart phone but think it may not work with the Mac.

John the Geek
02-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Sorry, MBOX is just for mailboxes.

The calendar stuff needs to be separately exported to iCal, which fortunately is also an open standard. I'd google that too.

Notes... Not supported in Mail until Leopard. So info may be a bit scarce.

If you really like Outlook you can stick with Microsoft Entourage. You still can't import your data, cause Microsoft is a Nazi company bent on keeping you locked in to their system. You can't switch from Outlook to Entourage or vice-versa without jumping through many hoops.

jeremyhardin
02-19-2007, 09:43 AM
There was a PC Magazine or some such article about someone making the switch to the macbook pro. They chronicled how they did mailboxes and everything. I can't find the link now, but I think it was linked to from apple's hot news a month or two ago.

(sorry I'm not more help!)

John the Geek
02-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Here's a good one. (http://www.riches.com.au/articles/export-outlook-entourage.htm)

Or this $10 app... (http://www.littlemachines.com/)

dglidden
02-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Another option is to spring the $80 and buy a copy of Parallels for Mac. This lets you run a copy of windows on your mac under a sort of emulation*. Practically speaking, it's not all that likely you're really going to be able to jump completely the first day you get your mac, so something like Parallels lets you keep what you can't migrate running natively under windows until you can find a suitable replacement that's Mac native. A lot of the folks I know who have Switched have used VirtualPC or now Parallels (Parallels only works on the new Intel macs) until they could wean themselves away from all their "absolutely necessary" Windows apps.

It's funny how "absolutely necessary" so many of these apps have turned out to be. I've had that conversation like maybe half a dozen times, about some app that is "absolutely necessary" that they be able to use, and that there positively is no equivalent mac app. Then I help them get VPC or Parallels running and they maybe use it four or five times and find out they really never used that app much at all, or they find an immediately viable replacement.

Anyway, I digress. One Of Us! ONE OF US!!

* - not really emulation, but way too full of technical jargon to go into

kopperdrake
02-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Oooh. Had a friend come over wearing white robes to dunk me in cold water as part of the initiation ceremony ;)

For everyone's info, I've managed to sync my windows mobile phone with all the apps that come with the Mac using Missing Sync - it even supplies a notes app so you don't lose those. The only thing I've yet to do is move my email folders across - I'm treating it as a house-cleansing ritual.

Have to say though - the Apple interface is so slick and working with getting this stuff across has made me realise how good it is to not worry about details. I didn't even realise I hadn't specified a network for it to use until 5 minutes had passed browsing the web, it just picked mine up and off it went!

Thanks again for all the advice :thumbsup:

Scazzino
02-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Welcome back to the Mac! :thumbsup: