PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody give me a hint on how to model and texture hair for game characters?

Dirk
02-18-2007, 07:57 AM
I'm looking for a tutorial or some hints on how to model and texture hair for game characters, so Sas and displacements are no options.

For modeling, the "dressgirl_3" in the content folder is a good example, and for modeling + texturing, the hairstyles of characters in a game like "Guild Wars":

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Elementalist_armor

(pls scroll down - I know the pictures are pretty small and the character relativly low poly, but still may give a good hint what I want to do)

While I think it is relativly easy to model a hairstyle where the hair is forming tails or knots, or even free "flowing" symetrical hair, I find it somewhat difficult to create good looking "free flowing" asymetrical hairstyles. This is even more true when considering that the hair has to be UV textured, too. It would be great if I could texture the hair with UV "stripes", so I could use one or two somewhat bigger textures (+ alpha) for the whole hairstyle, and the hair would still look good if the camera is close to the character.

Lamont
02-21-2007, 05:37 PM
I use sas to make the strands and a combination of alpha'd lockes and modeled out portions to make the hail.

But now I just use shaders at work.

jthompson3d
03-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Sweet, nice to see another Guild Wars person on here trying to do the same. Using textures I have got to work well, alpha maps. But also shaders and displacment maps.

See ya online maybe.