PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 day blood droplet

Jakkar
02-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Just finished a job for an independent movie where they needed a high-speed photography shot of a kickboxer's blood hitting the canvas in slow motion. This was an extreme emergency favor and I had only a few hours. Thought about using RealFlow but man that prog is still an elephant. :bangwall: Huge calc times and polycounts, not feasible for this, so I just punched a wall, rolled up my sleeves and just muscled this one out in about 4 hours. Modeled by hand, morph mixing and slight displacement map and small speckle emitter for flavor. Got it to them by the deadline at days end and they were psyched to have it. :beerchug:
Never underestimate the power of raw-stress related sweat over a pretty fluid simulator when the job has to be done...now.

I know there are problems, but I'll tackle those on a job that has the time for more than a few hours. Anyone have a similar story? Love to hear the "I need the impossible NOW" type-stuff.

Jak

Jakkar
02-17-2007, 10:38 PM
don't think it liked the HD aspect...thumbnail here.

prospector
02-17-2007, 10:39 PM
won't show
won't download

voriax
02-18-2007, 05:24 AM
Prospector, have to save file as, then name it as a .mov and it works.
Looks pretty good to me, considering it was an emergency rush-job. Would be pretty convincing to the general audience, and what it is is unmistakeable. Job well done, Jakkar :D

blondimage
02-18-2007, 05:56 AM
Nic one Jakkar!

Bog
02-18-2007, 07:59 AM
That's really nice. Splashes are great fun to do. Good shout getting it done in the time, chap - nothing like a deadline like an oncoming freight-train to focus the mind.

Jakkar
02-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanx guys. And thanks for working around the bad filename. Don't know what happened, the original file plays fine, so something happened in the forum upload, don't know why that would happen but I sent an email to the forum administrator, hopefully he/she can correct it.

As stressful as these types of deadlines can be, I think its good every now and then to really put yourself on the line and dare to fail. I think often times you can surprise yourself with what you're able to do in a short period. When I worked on my first feature job Terminator 3, they liked my initial spec shot and then came to me with over 30 shots involving tracer fire and debris hits/explosions to do in a month and I almost said "no, I can't guarantee that, you should go with someone more experienced" and this was the first time I ignored that inner critic and heard myself saying into the phone "sure, I can do that." not knowing if I could. When I was about 50% through the job I looked back at that day and thought, what was I so **** afraid of?!
Pulled it off, and was made staff at the VFX house. 3 years later and 12 or so feature films under my belt, I still look back at that day that made all the difference. Thanks NewTek for creating a package that has so much flexibility that I can tackle jobs in dozens of different ways to give the client more options and can handle pretty much anything directors throw my way. No need for expensive plugins like 3DS Max to get good rusults right out of the base package. I know now that I'll be able to find a way.

Jak

evolross
10-08-2007, 03:59 PM
A light tutorial would be awesome. Great job.