PDA

View Full Version : tablet for modeling... useful?

katsuy
02-17-2007, 07:25 PM
hi i just wanted to know what are the advanteages of using a tablet for modeling. Is it worth the initial effort to make the transition from mouse to tablet?

appreciate your 2cents...

k

tonybliss
02-17-2007, 07:38 PM
fo me yes ... in lw it is a little quirky to use for viewport nav controls
I am usually compeled to use the viewport nav shortcuts.
But I love hte feel of my pen and tablet
it helps me border my artform

Animapper
02-17-2007, 08:23 PM
It's all I use for everything now. Too many years of mousing has caused me pain but the tablet is so much faster for drawing and design for me. I have two intuos 6x8 tablets that switch via kvm to any of my 6 setups.

Regards,

faulknermano
02-18-2007, 01:07 AM
tablet and pen is good for modelling in LW because you end up not clicking as much, and for me, feels more like i'm really "pulling" points around. it's nice. it's the only way i model now, at least in LW.

Weetos
02-18-2007, 04:40 AM
Wacom Intuos 3 is great because the CRTL,Alt and shift keys are available on the tablet ( there's also a slider touchpad for controlling zoom, for instance - this is all customizable )

I usually still use a mouse in Layout, but in modeler, the tablet is definitely the best input device to me

Exception
02-18-2007, 01:42 PM
You'll never look back.

Cheers from a Wacom graphire 3, intuos 2 and Ultrapad owner.
Get the A5 (6x9) size.

gerry_g
02-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Don't forget to buy a can of lighter fuel and a box of matches, so you can dance around the retched mouse screaming 'FREE AT LAST !!' after you've torched the bloody thing............how in the year two thousand and seven, a whole twenty five years after someone cobbled together that clunky rodent as a makeshift pointing and clicking devise people still actually use them is beyond me

nthused
02-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Don't forget to buy a can of lighter fuel and a box of matches, so you can dance around the retched mouse screaming 'FREE AT LAST !!' after you've torched the bloody thing............how in the year two thousand and seven, a whole twenty five years after someone cobbled together that clunky rodent as a makeshift pointing and clicking devise people still actually use them is beyond me

LOL...Exactly!

borkus
02-18-2007, 04:48 PM
really? i find my hand hurts more when i'm using my wacom. but i've only had it a couple of months. there are parts in lightwave that i can't go without it. but there are still operations like transforming and fiddling with docks that still feel more "natural" with a mouse. maybe i just haven't had the tablet grow on me yet. essential for apps like silo (i just got 2b yesterday. Yay!!!!), and zbrush. couldn't imagine trying to muck about in those apps without it.

katsuy
02-18-2007, 06:40 PM
thanks everyone for the input... i have a wacom intuos3 and used it for a while but got a tight deadline and seemed like it was going to take a little getting use to so i put it aside.. now that i seem to have a little more free time i will give it time....the only thing is i got greedy and bought the 9 x 12 and now i regret it cause it feels like you have to swing your arm too much.. i can reset its size but its kind of bulky in a already crowded desk real estate.. oh well.

cheers
k

borkus
02-18-2007, 11:42 PM
and i was feeling guilty for getting the 4 x 6. sounds like i made a "happy medium" choice. grapphire though. ka-ka!!! 512 sensitivity levels. can see it all too well in some apps. corel paint IX for one. and others. learned from this to never go cheap

gerry_g
02-19-2007, 09:54 AM
I have the 12"x18" and although most will think that a bit large, the size does make for more accurate button hitting as there's no dither or shake to the on screen cursor at this resolution, it's rock steady, when I had the old Intuos one series at the same size it was a lot less precise and shook noticeably

borkus
02-19-2007, 10:26 AM
holy ****!!! 12 x 18!!! that must have set you back a couple dimes and quarters!!!

CMT
02-19-2007, 12:19 PM
I have the 6X9 at home and seems to work pretty well for me. I've never had much of a problem with it. I get the shakiness when I shrink the image down too far and try to draw thin lines. Then it's pretty noticable. But when I draw thin lines at 100% resolution, it's fine. Which is OK for me cuz I don't like to sketch small....

katsuy
02-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Quick question
how do you guys access shortcuts on <control+shift+mouse middle button> since my pen only has 2 buttons? I have all my favorites mapped on this for quick access:)

k

erikals
02-19-2007, 02:57 PM

He said it, no need to say it twice.
(well, sort of did, but u get it)

LW_jackn
02-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Modeling with a tablet is cheese... ;)

Why share it with a mouse?

:D

DiedonD
02-21-2007, 02:25 AM
You know... your even convincing me to get one. In fact the only reason I havent bought one so far is because its way too luxorius by the standards in here. In other words Ill probably end up beeing THEE only one having it on my whole country. And perhaps even some neighbouring countries aswell.

With that in mind, theres this Proffesionalism imposing on you. Since your the only one that has it in the nearby region, you oughta be a profesional in order to have that kind of luxoriously expensive equipment. And I dont like any kind of imposing. I just want to do LW in piece. It turn out that was a challenge aswell. Who knew? :hey:

erikals
02-21-2007, 04:03 AM
Try modeling in ZBrush or MudBox with a mouse..! :D
You won't need a Wacom imo, they are a bit better, but not all that much, cheaper brands works fine too. I've used Trust tablets several times, they work pretty good. Also I actually prefer the smaller A5 tablets instead of larger ones... makes me draw faster.

DiedonD
02-21-2007, 04:21 AM
Temporarily Im using this... What you call em, where you slide fingers on it, and use it instead of a mouse, that is found on llaptops mostly. That is better for ZBrush aswell. Makes it easier to imagine that Im finger painting